Oathmark - General Discussion

Ish

And that’s everything for the Kingdom of Nicomedia printed!

Northernmost row, we’ve got two Smithies and Dark Hills; below that Rough Hills, Human Capital City, and Ancient Ruins; directly south of the Human City are Plains; the southernmost row is an Orc City, Barrens, and a Dungeon:

4C2DA407-88BB-4976-8A61-FDF5C4206652.thumb.jpeg.a2f39d9f5a0f5ba5700155244b770580.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tao Tsê-Mung said:

Yeah these are really looking great! I better figure out my kingdom!

How many of these are you 3D-bashing yourself vs the originals? I took a look at the kickstarter image and there’s nowhere near this many in that tiny catalog image.

I backed the Kickstarter at the Gold + Add On Tier. There’s north of 100 tiles released so far and they’ve got a roadmap for future updates that will probably push them over 200… 

But I’ve also been making mash-ups, because it’s really fun. The Dwarf Capital City, Human City, and Snow-Capped Mountains in my dwarf kingdom were mashups; the Human Capital City, Smithies, Dungeon, Orc City, and Ruins for Offroadfury were mash-ups; and I’ve done a couple for Nick! too.

The default tiles are really nice, but I think it’s tons of fun to customize them. 

• Like 1

The tiles in the Hexton Hills line to date have mostly a pseudo-medieval vaguely Northern European design.  There will probably be pyramids or something along those lines in one of the future Legendary tiles or the upcoming Ancient Ruins set.

On the other hand, Ancient Egypt and the Near East are pretty well represented in places like Thingiverse… and because of the size of these tiles (65 mm long edge to long edge) and the exaggerated scale, it’s not hard to use some simple tricks to make things look really different.

Take a basic “gently rolling hills” tile and paint it tan instead of green, presto, it’s now “gently rolling sand dunes.”

Yeah, I figured repurpose the hills and rivers tiles for dunes, ports. It’s the buildings and ruins/monuments I’m most curious about. I’ll have to look around for stls to integrate.

I’m fine being last on your list to print since I’ll paint them to save you time anyway. This does get me thinking about stls for my oathmarks too.

It takes about 30-ish hours of printing time to knock out a ten-hex kingdom, like the two above.

I could probably do it faster if I really rolled up my sleeves and dialed everything in, but it’s easy enough to just click “print” before I leave for work in the morning and plop it off the printer later that night.

Painting has been fast and loose too. Some of the people in the community on Facebook have made some astounding things, but I’ve just been going for “decent enough.” Spray, base coat, dry brush, flock… Done.

Although I did have a crazy idea of combining translucent filament, an LED tea-light, and the volcano tile… 

Got my rulebook in the other day and read some of it. I am a little worried about the number of expansion books though. I got the one with the undead rules in it, but I think there are two others out there already? What do the expansions bring to the table? I really don't want to have to keep buying books in order to play the game.

Also, I'm a little confused by the three maneuvers. Rotate I get and is what KoW uses. The wheel I am used to from WFB, except that the wheel distance is not recorded or limited. I can see where in some occasions, you could use a wheel in order to change which side you hit in a charge. So your starting position puts you in the front of the unit, but after a wheel, you can now get the flank. Perhaps that is the intent? But the one I really don't get is the flip. Its the same thing as a 180 rotate so why the inclusion? I think they already said that as long as the end position is legal, you can ignore terrain and units during a maneuver...so that one really had me scratching my head.

Hope to get in more reading soon.

7 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Got my rulebook in the other day and read some of it. I am a little worried about the number of expansion books though. I got the one with the undead rules in it, but I think there are two others out there already? What do the expansions bring to the table? I really don't want to have to keep buying books in order to play the game.

There are currently two supplements, with a third due out by the end of June*. I have all of them either in hand or on pre-order... and to be perfectly frank, not a one of them are a necessity. There's months, if not years, of material that can be found in just the core rulebook.

Oathmark: Battlesworn adds rules for elite units, the eponymous Battlesworn, which basically tacks a couple minor buffs to an existing unit in your army, increases their cost, and adds a few restrictions on their use. It also adds rules for rivers and boats, plus Military Expeditions which are very short "mini-campaigns" of linked scenarios. Nice to have, I think, but hardly essential.

Oathmark: Oathbreakers was supposed to be the first supplement released, but Covid-19 happened. The big draw here is the rules for the Undead faction. There are also rules for Legendary Heroes, which work more or less like the Battlesworn units except they only affect a single character. It also has another couple Military Expedition "mini-campaigns." Nice to have, but only really essential if you want to play Undead.

Oathmark: Bane of Kings big selling point is that will going to have a more alternate version of the campaign system found in the core rulebook which will incorporate the passage of time. I don't know how, exactly, that is going to work, but I'm definitely intrigued. The other big addition to the game is specialized unit formations (shield wall, phalanx, skirmish, etc.) that let a unit in your army gain some special abilities... and, of course, a new Military Campaign. I'm guessing that this book will, once again, be nice to have but not essential.

* There's sorta, kinda, not really official unofficial fourth supplement: Halflings. It's written by the game's author, hosted on the official publisher's site, and totally free.

Also, I'm a little confused by the three maneuvers. Rotate I get and is what KoW uses. 

I've read, re-read, and re-re-read this section quite a few times and am still trying to fully understand it. My guess is that this is one of those elements of gameplay that will only fully "click" for me once I'm actually pushing toy soldiers around on the table and rolling dice. Part of me also thinks that I'm fighting decades of mental "muscle memory" from WHFB / KoW / T9A where maneuvering was an over-complicated system filled with persnickety rules interactions and counter-intuitive resolutions. 

Basic Movement is pretty simple: spend an action to move up to your Movement Stat in a straight line forward or  half that value in a straight line directly backward or sideways. 

Pivot changes the facing of the unit's officer and then adjusts the rest of the unit to stay in line with him. 

About Face has every model in the unit change facing 180° (and then shuffles the officer to the new front rank if necessary). This is very similar to the pivot, but there is the subtle difference that no figures will be changing position. Imagine a unit of a full four ranks where the front rank was pressed up against an immovable and impassable object for some reason, like the table edge. If the officer pivoted 180° and you reformed around him... Ranks 2-4 would fall off the table into the Great Void. But, if you use the about face maneuver, no one dies. 

Wheel has one side of the unit move while the other corner stays put. The book is mum on this, but I suspect you are supposed to be limited to the unit's Movement stat for total distance... I should do some digging on Facebook and Reddit to see if this has been addressed.

And here’s the tiles I put together for @Nick!’s wood elves. 210F8382-D58B-4D13-8039-2C1E86B02E0C.thumb.jpeg.80245e444eec8ae92318ee8a6c985f89.jpeg

The white “world tree” in the center represents the Elf Capital City.

North of that we have Silver Mines, a Tower, and Grasslands. The mines are a stock Hexton Hills tile, the tower is a mashup with a generic fantasy wizard tower and one of the forested hills, the grasslands takes a plain plains tile (pun intended) and adds a elvish obelisk in the middle to make it stand out.

South of the world tree, we have Kennels, Plains, and Barrens. The Kennels are me of the stock forest tiles mashed up with what was originally a fisherman’s hut on one of the rivers, I think it makes a nice small farm. Same trick of adding the elf obelisk (one ruined) to a couple of plains tiles for the other two.

Furtherest south, the Dark Forest, Hill Cave, and Moors. Only the forest is stock.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ish said:

And here’s the tiles I put together for @Nick!’s wood elves. 210F8382-D58B-4D13-8039-2C1E86B02E0C.thumb.jpeg.80245e444eec8ae92318ee8a6c985f89.jpeg

The white “world tree” in the center represents the Elf Capital City.

North of that we have Silver Mines, a Tower, and Grasslands. The mines are a stock Hexton Hills tile, the tower is a mashup with a generic fantasy wizard tower and one of the forested hills, the grasslands takes a plain plains tile (pun intended) and adds a elvish obelisk in the middle to make it stand out.

South of the world tree, we have Kennels, Plains, and Barrens. The Kennels are me of the stock forest tiles mashed up with what was originally a fisherman’s hut on one of the rivers, I think it makes a nice small farm. Same trick of adding the elf obelisk (one ruined) to a couple of plains tiles for the other two.

Furtherest south, the Dark Forest, Hill Cave, and Moors. Only the forest is stock.  

That is super rad, thank you!

12 hours ago, Ish said:

75116BF3-A191-4AF5-AB4D-7A50CDC47576.thumb.jpeg.4d6952410603a0f0e76437f0a65fbf6a.jpeg

And here’s the world so far…

This is really nice! So quick question about your thoughts on something the core book campaign doesn't really specify, so are there buffer territories between the kingdoms? How do we determine what's in the 5th ring territories? Because there's a lot of cool minor details/benefits to them but they can only appear in the outer ring. We don't choose them at army building either, but people are each definitely going to have at couple they want to gain control of so we'll need them on the board.

1 hour ago, Ish said:

image.png.50c8930a0375e613ed8acace347aab47.png

Pseudo-Egyptian City mash-up.

I knew that looked familiar! Think you could duplicate some of the smaller buildings along the side to fill the tile out for a capital city?

For a second tile I know I’ll want a burial themed tile so maybe just a bunch of pyramids, sphinxes, obelisks like in the other one you mocked up? Definitely looking uninhabited.