Marine dreadnought heavy army

scotthartman

Hi all,

I haven't played much of any of current 40k but am noodling an idea for my isolation. Was wondering if Marines can field a dreadnought heavy army, as in more than the 3 I assume they could take in a regular army.

If you can, mention what book or books I may need to field that army as well. 

Hope you are all doing well.

• Like 2

Blood Angels and Wolves can field a lot of variety without dipping into FW.  They also have Dread HQs.  IH is restricted if you don't take FW, but I think thet have the option to take a dread HQ. 

If you want to run just dreads, BAs access to psyker dreads is fire; IH have lots of survivability.

With Codex Chapters, you need the SM dex, the Chapter mini dex, and potentially a Psychic Awakening book, but probably not.  

• Like 2

I’m very much behind on my codices, but if I recall correctly, Salamanders and Iron Hands can both field a very strong mostly Dreadnaught army if they use Masters of the Forge for HQs and minimal Troops.

It’s not purely Dreadnaught, but it’s got good synergy with chapter traits, relics, and tactics. Fluffy too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scotthartman said:

This will show my lack of knowledge on the current edition, it sounds like the old force org doesn't apply. Lots to look at, thanks!

Basically you can take 3-6 dreads for every hq choice. See vanguard detachment. You can't take more than 3 of any given unit.

Your force won't be the absolute best, but it will be interesting and very easy to get table ready and transport 

• Thanks 1

Another reason to give SW dreads a long, hard look is that SW get access to Venerable Dreads with Great Axe and Blizzard Shield. Giving a likely shooting magnet a 4++ is really, really nice. Also, the adaptability of the Great Axe's two modes allows the model to face any combat situation and have a weapon that is going to do the job that it needs to. Last OFCC my Venerable Dread with Great Axe and Shield was hands down one of my MVPs, pulling its weight and making up its points spectacularly every game. If you want to build an all Dread List consider just taking a bunch of Iron Priests (SW) or Tech Marines to heal up your dreadnoughts as they take damage. SW also have a handy strategem that allows you to pick a dreadnaught and everyone within 6" can reroll 1s to hit for the phase. Acute Senses (another Strat) allows a model to ignore negative to hit modifiers in the shooting phase. I used it last year a lot on my Redemptor Dread to allow it to move and still fire its Plasma Cannon Thingy (yes that's its name!) at full BS. Definitely some fun stuff that SW can bring to an all dread army. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SigurdBC said:

Redemptor Dread to allow it to move and still fire its [REDACTED BY =][= ](yes that's its name!) at full BS. Definitely some fun stuff that SW can bring to an all dread army. 

As @scotthartman does not own the GW Product, they are not privy to the name of the GW Products equipment. 

And yes, Dogs can be a fun all dread army to bring.  Carry on consum....Good Citizens!

• Like 1

As a BA player I encourage all dread lists with dread-pods.  I've only ran 4 in a elite detachment though, as I don't have a chaplain dread nor any forge world ones.  A deradeo would be nice for anti-tank and 2 libby dreads can shred in combat.

Actaully, it would be cool to see a BA detachment, SW detachment, and IH detachment.  You could get 3 libby dreeads, melee support from Sw and shooting support from IH, that would be cool to see on the table.

• Like 2