Craftworlds Wraith Army Project by David/Blackvigil

This is how they going to be... for now. I did a glaze of green to soften that extreme highlight. I also mixed a little darker purple with the highlight color to mute it a little, since they are rangers. Now I will do the other 5, having done the experimentation on these ones. That'll be 2 squads of my required 3. Not bad.

aFDeBlz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking gloss for the ones that are still living people, since that's a god visual shorthand for glass-like and something they can see through, but then whatever the default is for the Wraith-constructs, since they literally don't see in the visual spectrum, and have no need for a transparent visor. But also, Eldar Wraithbone tech can do whatever it wants, and matte might make more sense for Rangers, who wouldn't want the gleam to give away their positions.

• Like 2

The helmets on the Rangers kind of look... unfinished. Maybe I’m just used to the faceless look of Wraithguard and Wraithlords, so it seems odd to me to see it on “normal” space elves... I think a glossy finish on the visors would help.

• Like 1

I "finished" the Rangers yesterday. I will likely go back with fresh eyes and do some clean up and top highlights. I tend to do that before sealing or varnishing anything. 

I'm done with infantry units. 10 Wraith Guard, 10 Wraith Blades, 10 Rangers, 5 Dire Avengers. The Wraiths aren't very converted. Rangers are heavily converted from Dark Elf Corsairs, Guardians, and 3d printed bits. The DA are pretty basic, but with head swaps. I'm happy with them. 

Next up is the character cadre. Spiritseer was on hand, so I grabbed him and got going. 

Here is the base coat, and a couple experiments. I like the highlights on the robe, near the legs. Those are first pass highlights. I'll be doing more. The head, staff and sword are just base coats, washed in 50/50 white contrast and mixing medium. I went back through and cleaned it up. The actual experiment was with the cloth streamers, and the runes on his chest, etc. I painted them Heavy Charcoal Vallejo paint. I then lined it with Cold Grey Vallejo. I like it, I think. I may add a lighter highlight on the corners and tips. I didn't want to do these in white, or in purple. I think charcoal and grey makes them visible, but not the absolute focus of attention. The center gem on his chest is going to be green.

WIP - finishing today, I hope. I'll update this thread when I finish it.

bNB6rX0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I broke my rule, and bought more models...

Picked of a Fire Prism/Nightspinner kit, Eldrad, and the Triumvirate of Ynnead. I guess I added some painting to my queue. I'm still trying to get this all mostly done during the summer, before I go back to teaching in the fall. Shouldn't be a problem, but I also wanted to start a Kill Team and Combat Patrol for the Mortifactors. I guess I need to stop dilly dallying around, and paint!

• Like 2

Getting modeling done... The other 2 characters in the Triumverate box are less likely to see battle for me, so I started with Yvraine. Why did her hair need to be 3 pieces? Wtf GW... Visarch will be easy to model, so I'll do him up. I am debating leaving the Ycarne on the sprue for a while. Not sure how I'd paint it anyway.

Kg1xsBn.jpg

• Like 2

The swirling psychic energy tornado thingy* around the Avatar of David Bowie Yncarne would probably look awesome in that chrome paint... Although I don’t think she really adds much synergy with a Wraithguard heavy army, at least not for the 300+ points she’ll probably cost next edition.

* That’s the technical term, right?

• Like 2

For sure.... The Yncarne adds zero to my Wraith list. I am looking forward at an expansion into some Ynnari territory down the road. I might just try it in chrome, that's a pretty solid idea. I may prime her white, so the colors pop a bit better. I could test out colored washes over the chrome to give that rainbow effect. Not sure. I may just punt on this one, and finish the other stuff first. It's hard not to lose sight of the goal... Get the wraith host painted! I am going to buckle down. Wraith host first, then the other stuff. 🙂

• Like 2

I base coated the wraith knight, farseer on jetbike, bone seer, and Amallyn Shadowguide. For this army, base coating includes dark purple base, mid tone purple, purple wash, then white on the weapons/head/etc for about 3 thin coats, and finally watered down white contrast for some grey shadows. So, I guess it's not "just" base coat... but it's not the interesting part where you go in and pick out the cool details. My D&D game got cancelled for tomorrow, so I'm going to make the most of it, and try to paint like a mad man. 

• Like 1

I got super distracted with modelling. I put together the Hemlock, another Wave Serpent, and did some additional magnetizing for easy weapon swaps. 

Today I jumped back in the saddle and "finished" these guys. They will 100% get a final tune up before I seal them, or finish the basing scheme. I always go through an army before a tournament, and do final highlights.

Bonesinger
Yz4SQu6.jpg

Ranger character I'll never use. I'll field her in Kill Team, or just as a Ranger
wjvPYHH.jpg

Jetseer
W4W2bSq.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nope, nope. The entire army is ruined and you should be ashamed. But I’m a nice guy and willing to help you out, just leave them in a BattleFoam case on your porch, I’ll swing by and take them someplace they can be properly disposed of.

• Haha 2