So recently I have had the itch to start a new skirmish game. Before everyone starts shouting Infinity, I was thinking of going the Historical route instead of Sci Fi or fantasy. I came across a game called Saga, which has had really good reviews. The game is based in the 10th and 11th century and features many factions that were connected by the Vikings. There are several different Scandinavian factions along with factions from the Franks, British Islands, and eastern areas. The models are all plastic and are a smaller scale than warhammer models. the quality of the models is ok. It is definitely not up to the same standard as GW, but they seem well enough. From what I can tell the rules are pretty easy to pick up and the game functions around in game abilities rather than upgrades bought before the game starts.

Im curious if anyone else would be interested in looking into Saga? I talked with Joey and he said he was game to get into it. However, it would be nice to have more than 2 people playing the game.

here are several reviews of the game.

http://thewargamer.blogspot.com/2012/03/saga-gripping-miniatures-game.html

http://meeples.wordpress.com/reviews/rules-reviews/dark-age-medieval/saga/

Free rules, or no? Scale of minis?

I love the time period, but we've also got Wrath of Kings on the horizon, a skirmish game that I know several of us (Joey, Christian, me, Derek?) have invested in. A pretty cool system, with unique background and fluff.

the rules are not free unfortunately. There are 2 supplements that have been released. I not sure on the scale, I Know that its smaller than 28mm but not by much.

I looked at Wrath of Kings and I dont really like the models for some reason. I cant really figure out why, but I felt a similar way about Malifaux and it really kept me from getting into the game.  

Sherbert, did have you looked at that Skirmish game Joey and Christian got into with the fantasy ancient feel? I can't remember the name of it, but it seemed really cool and they already are playing, and I was interested in it as well....

P.S.

Infinity has vikings... with machine guns.

• Like 1

Sherbert, did have you looked at that Skirmish game Joey and Christian got into with the fantasy ancient feel? I can't remember the name of it, but it seemed really cool and they already are playing, and I was interested in it as well....

P.S.

Infinity has vikings... with machine guns.

I think you are thinking of Wrath of Kings. If so, I dont really like the look of the models.

I vaguely remember you showing me some of the models awhile ago. Does anyone play it around here?

Also I found some alternative models for Saga that look good and are cheap.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/hammer-of-the-gods

Mix and match a couple of these boxes with some of Gripping Beasts stuff and you have a pretty cheap warband built up. 

Christian and I have starter forces for Godslayer. I have the Halodynes or Greeks and Christian has the Wildfolk. Pretty fun game. That is an option. I would also echo Infinity but I know you don't really like it. Saga does seem pretty fun too

I don't have models for it, but I have some that I was going to work up for a proxy Wildfolk warband.... you know, if I ever play games again...

Maybe, MAYBE that Saga is rad. But when I want skirmish, I'm after one of two things: 

1) Really interesting combos that stretch my tactical thinking. Malifaux did this a bit before, but no more. Warmachine does it, and I'm hoping Wrath of Kings does it as well,

2) Really flexible scenario-driven play, ala "tactical roleplaying". Infinity knocks it out of the park at this, and Brad's game is on it's way.

The reviews I've read of Saga haven't convinced me of anything special in those two respects, though I'd be happy to be proven wrong. I do love the time period and cultures involved. Heck, I was even an early member of Geforthian Strandi, an attempt at Regia Anglorum to spread into the US, and keep a wicked sharp custom-made long seax on the upper shelf of my closet.

Maybe, MAYBE that Saga is rad. But when I want skirmish, I'm after one of two things: 

1) Really interesting combos that stretch my tactical thinking. Malifaux did this a bit before, but no more. Warmachine does it, and I'm hoping Wrath of Kings does it as well,

2) Really flexible scenario-driven play, ala "tactical roleplaying". Infinity knocks it out of the park at this, and Brad's game is on it's way.

I can't believe I dare beat this drum again, but the LoTR battle strategy did both of these well.

On item one, the might mechanic implements a nice "economy of actions" for your heroes, do you declare a heroic move, to allow your hero and men around him to move first? Or do you save the might for that combat to kill that key goblin, blocking your war bands escape. Not super combos, but enough that makes list building, deployment and play very tactical.

On item two LoTR knocks it out of the park. Often when we were playing back in the heyday, Tony and I could get a game in, then either switch deployment, armies, or objectives in the same game.

Anyway Godslayer models look pretty dang cool!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.