40K 9th ed

KennyD76

want to like the Primario Kart, but just like with the Repulsor, every time I look at it I just see another little detail that irks me...

I’m sure that the third-party bitz market will figure out some means of converting it into something less hideous eventually. (Heck, Pop Goes the Monkey managed to fix the Dreadknight.)

My chief annoyance about that silly buggy is the position of the gatling in relation to the driver's head. Astartes or no, he's going to go stone deaf, and the muzzle flash will make driving that thing nearly impossible. There's a reason real world military vehicles never mount weapons behind the pilot's head like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ish said:

The thing that bugs me about the Primaris Tarantula, or whatever they’re going to call that weapons platform, is that it doesn’t appear capable of elevating or depressing the guns...

It's the 41st mil.  Heat seaker rounds...

I just think it's a cool concept.  Let's be real here, i play BA and if we don't get a thunderfire cannon then i doubt we get one of those.

37 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

My chief annoyance about that silly buggy is the position of the gatling in relation to the driver's head. Astartes or no, he's going to go stone deaf, and the muzzle flash will make driving that thing nearly impossible. There's a reason real world military vehicles never mount weapons behind the pilot's head like that.

There is also, apparently, only 2” of ground clearance on an all-terrain vehicle... Developed by a military that for over 10,000 years had routinely made use of the anti-gravity Land Speeder.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ish said:

There is also, apparently, only 2” of ground clearance on an all-terrain vehicle... Developed by a military that for over 10,000 years had routinely made use of the anti-gravity Land Speeder.

And who has also recently re-developed the repulsor technology used in their new main battle tanks... why this thing is on wheels, I have no idea. They missed the chance to make a Primaris Land Speeder on this one.

• Like 2

I'd be more or less fine with the buggy concept, but give it some ground clearance and elevate the gunner a bit, just at least *try* to make it look vaguely reasonable. Also, the first shot that hits those exposed front axles is going to send that thing spiraling to its doom. 

The more new Primaris stuff GW releases, the more I realize that I really just don't like the Primaris aesthetic. Time to start building that mech infantry Guard army before all my classic marines are completely phased out.

• Like 1

I love the aesthetic of the Intercessor Primaris Marines, the Hellblasters, the Reivers, and the new Bikes; I’m neutral on most everything else; but, I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate the Repulsor.

As I said earlier in this thread, I’d have preferred they just did a simple replacement of the old Mk.7 Aquila Armor sculpts with the new Mk.10 Tacitus Armor (and replaced Scout models with the Reivers models), keeping the classic Tactical/Assault/Devastator Squads trifecta. 

But they didn’t do that... So here we are.

• Like 1

Funny that you say that about the aesthetics... 
I said "screw that. they are just trying to get me to buy more stuff. I already have marines." After a while, I learned that I really dig this new look. My old models look lame to me. The only thing I like is a few of my conversions. The dudes look like squats now. lol.

I dunno, apart from the Chaplain and the Judicar, most of them should work just fine as Space Wolves.

Order some more Viking-esque shields from Pop Goes the Monkey or Scibor for the Captain and the Bladeguard Veterans, slap some bearded and/or mohawked heads on the Assault Intercessors, and swap out the Ancient’s skeleton-on-a-stick for something more wolfy...

The Judicar could probably be converted into a Space Wolf Rune Priest with some clever converting. Greenstuff in the inscription on the sword, add the worky bits to make it into a force sword, add a bit of fur trim to his robes, and replace the hand holding the hour glass with a dramatic pointing hand... Oi, you lot! This frost-blade is going in dry! 

1 hour ago, Ish said:

I dunno, apart from the Chaplain and the Judicar, most of them should work just fine as Space Wolves.

Order some more Viking-esque shields from Pop Goes the Monkey or Scibor for the Captain and the Bladeguard Veterans, slap some bearded and/or mohawked heads on the Assault Intercessors, and swap out the Ancient’s skeleton-on-a-stick for something more wolfy...

The Judicar could probably be converted into a Space Wolf Rune Priest with some clever converting. Greenstuff in the inscription on the sword, add the worky bits to make it into a force sword, add a bit of fur trim to his robes, and replace the hand holding the hour glass with a dramatic pointing hand... Oi, you lot! This frost-blade is going in dry! 

That's an awful lot of work for a chapter that has its own codex. GW's Ultramarines fetish is going a little far. it's frustrating just how little flavor and uniqueness the Marines have these days.

To be fair, these models will work just fine as is for every single Space Marine faction in the game except Space Wolves, Deathwatch, and Grey Knights... and the Space Wolves can use all the basic troops, as is, with only the Chaplain really failing to fit it.

These models don’t have any chapter-specific iconography actually sculpted into them, making them more useful than the heavily icon-covered Dark Angels that came in the 7th Edition boxed set. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your summaries and news, guys!

I've been a casual, occasional player since 5th - so much so that I just found out today there's going to be a 9th. 🤣

There's always going ways to optimize your list based on the current rules/codex.  That process excites some people, but I find that overwhelming and perhaps most relevant I'm not buying/converting to optimize.  Either way is fine and it's personal choice.

Some rules don't make sense in any game, and that is unavoidable, but 9th may be trying to mitigate some of that.  If so, I think that's good.

What's exhausted me out about 40k is that it takes so long to play and so much learning curve that it's like a part time job.  If smaller armies are an optional thing in 9th, as well as quicker games, or even a smaller play area then I think that's a good thing. 

Then there's something for everyone.

• Like 1

Three or four squads of basic Troops, one or two Heroes, one or two supporting Elite Units, Giant Stompy Robots, or Big Tanks. That’s the “sweet spot” for me in any wargame.

Have one or two factions that double the above numbers because they’re “horde armies,” have one or two factions that half those numbers because they’re “elite armies,” for variety, of course... But that’s still within the “sweet spot.”

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ish said:

Three or four squads of basic Troops, one or two Heroes, one or two supporting Elite units or Tanks. That’s the “sweet spot” for me in any wargame.

Have one or two factions that double the above numbers because they’re “horde armies,” have one or two factions that half those numbers because they’re “elite armies,” for variety, of course... But that’s still within the “sweet spot.”

100% agree. Once in a while, an epic, sweeping battle is fun, but mostly, I just don't have the time or attention span for it. Much rather play a small patrol or skirmish than a major engagement.

• Like 1

Indeed, once every year or two a game of “I put all my toys on the table, you put all your toys on the table, and let’s play for twelve hours straight!” is a wonderful thing.

So too is the occasional “sweep the leg” hard-core competitive tournament.

But mostly, I just want to 🐂 💩 with my friends while we take three hours to play a two hour game... and that’s the gameplay mode I think the designers should be designing for.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ish said:

Three or four squads of basic Troops, one or two Heroes, one or two supporting Elite Units, Giant Stompy Robots, or Big Tanks. That’s the “sweet spot” for me in any wargame.

Yeah. Bolt Action and Warmachine/Hordes kind of hit this spot for model numbers, and it's one reason I gravitated to them after I burned out on 40k. But they don't have AdMech 😞 so I'd like to see that kind of game more often on the 40k side...