40K 9th ed

KennyD76

Well, from what we've seen (at least that I've seen) it's: Hold one, hold two, hold more. So Objective Secured is definitely a thing, and then all of the bonus objectives we've seen have been that, "give up an action" (? wording) thing, and then in addition the scoring in your command phase only, so I think Troops might be more important than previously.

Note that, there's no "kill one, kill more" but that instead holding is even more important. It may not be literally "only troops", but it seems like you'd best sort out the things that hold objectives, and Ob Sec is a thing, and you'd also best sort out units that you can sacrifice shooting/whatever-an-action-is for to score.

Edit: Also, the "score in your command phase" starts to address the thing that "kill one/more" did in ITC format. For Kill Team, we adopted the "kill one/more" primary rule because the "hold one/two/more" along with the available Arena secondaries lead to an incredibly boring format, with several factions simply not being able to reasonably compete. I think that this "score in your command phase" will likely serve a similar purpose while not overly-favoring killing. Should be interesting.

My problem with Objective Secured was that they introduced a thousand and one ways to bypass it. Effectively rendering it meaningless as any player who didn’t want to bother with the “boring” “tax” of Troops would just tailor their list to take advantage of one of the ways to bypass it.

Maybe I’m just being a grumpy old grognard, but I think the core game should be designed to heavily incentivize basic grunts over silly elite niche armies... and I say this as someone who has spent many years playing silly elite niche armies: Armored Company, Deathwing, etc. 

All this talk about "unstoppable" charging armies is crazy.

Have you all forgot about screens?  Poxwalkers, cultists, conscripts, grots, etc.  

If you play a gunline with no screening units, that's on you.

Also, don't forget that you can shoot into combat with your "big toys" now.  If you play monster-mash or mechanized lists then your enemies better destroy whatever they touch.

Ask yourself this question.  How many times did an opponent charge something just to shut down the shooting?

Then ask the following question.  How many times will my opponent charge my monsters and/or tanks knowing i can shoot them in my shooting phase?

No one is "forgetting" anything.   Change comes hard for most players and gamers are some of the worst when it comes to it so they are giving you bite sized chunks to mull over, knowing that if they dumped it all at once it would meet coodinated resistence and so they are splitting up th news into parcels we can slowlt start to assimilate

Faction Focus: Adepta Sororitas

Ia42yClF4n8Xv4Zd.jpg

The Sisters of Battle may be among the Imperium’s most elite military wings, but how will they adapt to the new edition of Warhammer? Well, we’re here to investigate, channelling the wisdom of playtester Andrew Gonyo to get the inside scoop. Have your boltgun, flamer and melta at the ready, as it’s time for the Adepta Sororitas Faction Focus!

N2bh1Y7cX7iBhB0H.jpg

Who Are They?

The Adepta Sororitas are the military arm of the Ecclesiarchy. They are divided into several Holy Orders of highly trained and dedicated warriors, whose faith in the God-Emperor of Mankind is absolute. In battle, they purge the enemies of Humanity with a zealous fury and steely determination that rivals even the mighty Adeptus Astartes. So strong is their conviction in the God-Emperor’s divinity that it is not uncommon for them to perform deeds on the battlefield that are nothing short of miraculous.

0gW5zTW3hjH7Ol1p.jpg

How They Play in the New Edition

They may wear power armour and wield boltguns as their primary weapon, but the Sisters of Battle are a very different beast to the Space Marines on the battlefield. Here to give us some pointers on how they’ll play in the new edition is Andrew Gonyo. In addition to being a playtester and member of Team USA, he’s won tournaments more times than Saint Celestine has returned from death!

Andrew: The Adepta Sororitas were a big hit when they released earlier this year, and one of the biggest improvements we’ll see in the new edition for them is an increase in the number of available styles of play. While there are currently several viable styles, the strongest Adepta Sororitas armies in matched play tended to be very infantry heavy, with a fairly high model count. However, my favorite army compositions for the Sisters of Battle – and probably in general – is now more of a mechanised/mixed force approach. With the changes to how vehicles interact with the game, I think you’ll see more viability to these styles of play than we currently do.

5DnFo6T5bYf14Rah.jpg

Next, while some Factions have many ways to deploy, Adepta Sororitas have generally been a bit more straightforward: they’re either hoofing it on foot, riding in a transport, or are one of the two units – Seraphim and Zephyrim – capable of dropping directly onto the battlefield. However, we’ll soon be able to get some of our key units into more interesting positions using Strategic Reserves. This gives a new lease on life to a few units that were a bit too fragile for me to want to deploy or that needed to get close to the enemy, but previously couldn’t – Mortifiers and Penitent Engines, I’m looking at you.

hE3Hi87hH9Jx7dZ4.jpg

Lastly, as a brief note on the Fight phase, I think there are two main ways the Adepta Sororitas are going to excel. Multi-charges are getting much riskier and harder to perform for most,* but with the help of their faith and a couple of trusty Miracle dice, the Sisters of Battle are really going to shine. Secondly, many Adepta Sororitas units are quite squishy – and the prevalence of Overwatch in the current edition really made certain unit types questionable to go charging into. In the new edition, that will become much less of a problem with the changes to how Overwatch works.

I think the largest challenge players will face in the new edition is the change to the Look Out, Sir rules, which requires more careful positioning of your Characters for them to benefit from the same level of protection. Adepta Sororitas armies tend to be somewhat dependent on key support Characters, so having them become more vulnerable will present a new challenge. I intend to overcome those by keeping a close eye on what I keep near them – there should be no shortage in my army of both Vehicles and decently sized Infantry units, and the two of those together should give me all the protection I need to keep my linchpins alive.

l7CyP3Cu8oU35uP9.jpg

In the new edition, I’ll be approaching the Sisters of Battle with more use of multiple small units. The changes to both Blast weapons and morale favour armies that field medium-sized units. I previously used larger units, but now with the benefit of playing smaller, more sensibly sized squads, I’ll have some points left to take other units – more Dedicated Transports, maybe even the Mortifiers I always wanted but couldn’t quite fit in.

Key Units

Now that we know the score, let’s take a look at some units from the Adepta Sororitas roster upon whom the God-Emperor’s divine benevolence has fallen.

Hospitaller

Zd10kI2vFB1dB2la.jpgAndrew: There are a few Adepta Sororitas units I never leave home without, the first being the Hospitaller. Failing Morale tests can be devastating in the new edition, which is going to make the Hospitaller’s Last Rites Stratagem key to keeping your important units around for longer.

0iBJ7v9iX7gUAx0z.jpg
Seraphim/Zephyrim

Mk66dR9NkBq0Xm82.jpg
1Snv4Dt3A0Ryp0My.jpg

Andrew: Adepta Sororitas are spoiled for choices when it comes to units that can drop directly into the fray, but I’ll almost always end up taking both Seraphim and Zephyrim for their speed and ability to pop into a backfield at a key moment. Whether you choose one or both units really depends on what you’re after – the close-range (literal) fire support of the Seraphim or the armour-shredding melee punch of the Zephyrim, backed up by their access to the handy Embodied Prophecy Stratagem.

B3sI4nLu3V4rV0m8.jpg
Penitent Engines

Bu4xM4Mj87IjZs0A.jpgAs if these engines of mutually destructive horror weren’t already geared up to dish out some serious pain in melee, the Big Guns Never Tire rule will mean that Penitent Engines can use their heavy flamers at point-blank range – much like the Blaze of Agony ability allows Mortifiers to do. Get them stuck in and start cooking your targets even as you bloodily dismember them with buzz-blades and beat them to death with enormous flails!

f6SsJ2Pj07CgO9il.jpg

Thanks, Andrew! How do you plan on delivering the God-Emperor’s holy wrath to your foes in the new edition? Let us know on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page, Instagram and on Twitter using #New40K.

I'm glad they're changing the character targeting rules. That was, by far, the worst thing about 8th edition (in conjunction with ITC prevalence of LoS blocking terrain).

On several occasions, my shooting phase had to be skipped entirely because the only models I could see were characters, but there were closer, unseen models that somehow therefore preventing me from shooting.

It made no narrative sense, didn't seem to be supported by the rules, yet I've been told many times "that's just how it works". 

Thank God it no longer "works" like that.

56 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I'm glad they're changing the character targeting rules. That was, by far, the worst thing about 8th edition (in conjunction with ITC prevalence of LoS blocking terrain).

On several occasions, my shooting phase had to be skipped entirely because the only models I could see were characters, but there were closer, unseen models that somehow therefore preventing me from shooting.

It made no narrative sense, didn't seem to be supported by the rules, yet I've been told many times "that's just how it works". 

Thank God it no longer "works" like that.

How do the rules previewed differ from the current rules for targeting purposes?

I’m still not clear on what happens if the enemy character is within 3” of an appropriate unit but the character is visible and the unit is not (and both character and unit are equidistant or the unit is closer).

If Captain Hero has come ‘round the corner of a building, but line of sight to Grunt Squad is still blocked by it... Can the enemy shoot Captain Hero or not?

1 minute ago, Ish said:

I’m still not clear on what happens if the enemy character is within 3” of an appropriate unit but the character is visible and the unit is not (and both character and unit are equidistant or the unit is closer).

If Captain Hero has come ‘round the corner of a building, but line of sight to Grunt Squad is still blocked by it... Can the enemy shoot Captain Hero or not?

Based on the wording, I would say not.

You can't shoot him unless he's visible and closest. If either of those things is untrue, he cannot be targeted. Still conceptually silly, but not as easily abused.

For instance, one of the games where the TO ruled that I was not allowed to have a shooting phase was one where a building deep in my opponent's table quarter contained TFCs and eliminators (no LoS required). Then they had techmarines with cannons standing on top, in plain view. Then they infiltrated a scout squad into the first floor of a building in the neutral table quarter nearest to mine.

The presence of the scout squad sitting 5 feet away from his characters turned my shooting phase off entirely. Absolutely nothing I could do to counter play. I was not allowed to shoot until my opponent decided to allow me to.

That's much harder to pull off now.

16 minutes ago, Lord Hanaur said:

So.  The Sisters of Battle, which as you all know are the consistently most awesome and inarguably righte and good choice, as far as armies go, have once again been chosen to deliver unto you the Imperial Truth in this article. to be the absolutely last faction to get a codex in the current edition.

Fixed that for you. Getting the last codex of an edition as much a part of their character as fleur-de-lys and flame-throwers, has been since practically day one.

The first Codex: Sisters of Battle back in Second Edition came out a mere two months before Third Edition; they spent third edition standing around with just the “back of the book” list for years until Codex: Witchhunters came out in 2003, a mere eight months before Fourth Edition; and then they had to wait nine years and three editions for Codex: Sisters of Battle during Sixth Edition in 2013, followed shortly by Seventh Edition... during which, once again, they never got a codex.

Here we are at the arse-end of Eighth Edition and their shiny new codex is one again the last in the line.

Oops, I left out a key bit: 

Matt: Burna-bommers were already good, but the changes to Flyers in the new edition make them even better (take two!). While they’re great flying around immolating targets, they’re even better if someone is foolish enough to shoot it down. Unlike most other exploding vehicles, Burna-bommers explode on a 4+ instead of a 6+, and they do 3 mortal wounds instead of D3. With the Flyin’ ‘Eadbutt Stratagem from Psychic Awakening: Saga of the Beast, you can guarantee that it will crash and burn. So rush them into the middle of your opponent’s gunline and do an incredible amount of damage.

Emphasis added.