I watched a Battle Report where he played Farsight Enclave, and it was pretty rad. He rolled forward, did a ton of shooting with solid buffs from the Enclave tactic. Then, he charged with a couple things, but mostly waited to get charged. Then the whole overwatch thing went off. I think you can play them as long range shooters, but with a smaller board, you'll want to get familiar with different strategies. It seems like the style you describe is exactly what is enabled by Farsight.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've been saying for years, every time GW introduces a new product -- be it as major as a new edition or as minor as a redesigned paint brush cup -- the reactions are eerily predictable:  33%

I predict that the new edition will fix a lot of the imbalances of the current, the first half dozen new codices will be nicely balanced, and although the Internet hive-mind will figure out a couple q

Yeah. I just hate it when people voluntarily agree to exchange their wealth for the goods or services voluntarily being offered by others. 🙄

Posted Images

I don't think they'll be sitting in a corner and shooting (and winning), just based on the missions we've seen so far.

When it's Hold 1/2/more for primary objectives, and the bonus objectives seem to be special-hold-related (and needing to give up an 'action'). It's difficult to think that any non-moving army will find much success.

Also the Tau getting free overwatch was not that much of a surprise, since they teased that in the Overwatch thing. More surprising is:

The largest challenge for the T’au Empire in the new edition is the change to the Fly keyword. It no longer offers units the ability to Fall Back and shoot, which means you need to put extra effort into screening enemy charges and preventing your critical shooting units from being engaged in combat.

I think that T’au Sept Tau will continue to rely on turtling up in a corner and trying to win by shooting their opponent off the table, since their Chapter Tactic Sept Tenet, Sept Stratagem, and Special Characters all lean into a (mostly) static gunline. The other T’au Septs will probably return to a more mobile form of game play, using Devilfish and Orcas to move quickly to grab midfield objectives (and then shoot their opponent off the table. I mean, they’re still Tau.)

I think the question is going to be what, if any, changes happen for the Riptide and it’s support drones. 

Yeah that's essentially the issue. "For the greater good" encourages you to clump your army. Spreading out actively weakens one of their most potent core mechanics.

On top of that, the ability of drones to mitigate damage is amplified by having drone squads within 6" of as many units as possible. Preferably multiple drone squads in range of multiple units for maximum damage mitigation.

People might need to move in 9th to win a game, but the design of the army itself is to encourage you not to move. I think a competitive list in 9th will look identical to 8th and play almost exactly the same. Spend 2 turns shooting with relative impunity because your opponent has to kill drones before they can even try to shoot at riptides. Then grab objectives in the late game when the opponent doesn't have enough bodies to control the board. 

I'd love to see devilish and Crisis suits (anyone remember those) come back, but I just don't think they will unless GW rethinks what they want the army to do.

1 hour ago, Ish said:

I think that T’au Sept Tau will continue to rely on turtling up in a corner and trying to win by shooting their opponent off the table, since their Chapter Tactic Sept Tenet, Sept Stratagem, and Special Characters all lean into a (mostly) static gunline. The other T’au Septs will probably return to a more mobile form of game play, using Devilfish and Orcas to move quickly to grab midfield objectives (and then shoot their opponent off the table. I mean, they’re still Tau.)

I think the question is going to be what, if any, changes happen for the Riptide and it’s support drones. 

That's what Tau have done in every edition 😁

And moving? a squad of cheap kroot make for objective grabbing. Shoot them, please. You'd be doing the Tau a favor. 

Given that the international maritime trade is still reeling from Coronavirus (a third of the world’s total merchant fleet is Chinese flagged, more than half of all maritime trade passes through a Chinese port in any given year, and the vast majority of merchant seamen are Indonesian, Phillipino, Vietnamese, or Chinese) it is probably in GW’s best interest not too commit to a specific date too far in advance. 

Yes, GW does the bulk of their manufacturing in the UK these days (plus a small amount in the US) rather than in China... But GW still has to move their products via commercial shipping. Even shipping companies that only ply the Atlantic and never touch an Asian port are feeling knock on effects of SARS-COVID-2.

The light of the Astronomicon grows dim, brothers. We must hold the line a little longer.

Drukhari Faction Focus is up. The big thing is taking 3 patrols will take up net 0 CPs. So we can mix the different sub-factions without getting punished by the new detachment system.

It essentially mimics a single battalion list in terms of mandatory slots and CP pool but with one additional HQ required. In exchange, we get the flexibility of mixing kabals/cults/covens as well as doubling the maximum FA, HS, and Flyer slots. I'm looking forward to these builds being worth taking again. In 8th, the triple patrol Raiding Force uses all 3 available detachments and only creates a pool of 7 CP. Now it'll be whatever the starting pool is.

Also confirms that, while units with fly can't shoot after falling back, aircraft don't have to fall back, they just leave combat so they can still shoot. I better finish putting LEDs in my new voidraven bombers...

19 minutes ago, Ish said:

Combat Patrol preview is up too. Missions and force organization charts specifically tailored to smaller format games of 500 Points.

(Not coincidentally, I’m sure, each “half” of the Indomitus box fills out a Combat Patrol... and so do most of the Start Collecting boxes.)

Looks like you can do your custodes combat patrol!

8 minutes ago, Inquisitor66 said:

Looks like you can do your custodes combat patrol!

Heck, the article actually teases that it’s possible to run KNIGHTS in Combat Patrol, so fitting the Glorious Banana Boys into it shouldn’t be too hard. Winning with them might be.

Under their current point values and power levels, I can fit a Shield-Captain on foot and two three-man units of Custodian Guard into the Combat Patrol format (23 PL / 416 Points). Although these guys are going to be tough as nails, it will be extremely difficult to compete in the previewed Incisive Attack mission:

image.thumb.jpeg.89f5c570e7ae1982125658b8cc674b47.jpeg

But that’s kind of the nature of the beast when you opt to play an army were your basic grunt has stats to rival most other faction’s Special Characters.

I dunno, 

10 minutes ago, Ish said:

Heck, the article actually teases that it’s possible to run KNIGHTS in Combat Patrol, so fitting the Glorious Banana Boys into it shouldn’t be too hard. Winning with them might be.

Under their current point values and power levels, I can fit a Shield-Captain on foot and two three-man units of Custodian Guard into the Combat Patrol format (23 PL / 416 Points). Although these guys are going to be tough as nails, it will be extremely difficult to compete in the previewed Incisive Attack mission:

image.thumb.jpeg.89f5c570e7ae1982125658b8cc674b47.jpeg

But that’s kind of the nature of the beast when you opt to play an army were your basic grunt has stats to rival most other faction’s Special Characters.

I dunno, you'll have 3 units, most of the preview patrols had 4. Since you don't need to squat on the objectives seems you'll have a decent shot.

With progressive scoring and four objectives, it’s gonna be hard to cover that with only two units and a hero. Although the mission description mentions that you can choose secondary objectives, so, potentially there’s something in there that would help even the odds...

But, whatever, it looks like great fun! 

20 hours ago, Ish said:

Combat Patrol preview is up too. Missions and force organization charts specifically tailored to smaller format games of 500 Points.

(Not coincidentally, I’m sure, each “half” of the Indomitus box fills out a Combat Patrol... and so do most of the Start Collecting boxes.)

As the number of footnotes grew in that article, it began to feel as if GW was calling me mean names. 

1 hour ago, Ish said:

With progressive scoring and four objectives, it’s gonna be hard to cover that with only two units and a hero. Although the mission description mentions that you can choose secondary objectives, so, potentially there’s something in there that would help even the odds...

But, whatever, it looks like great fun! 

You don't have to cover... Just own and move on! Focus on their speedy stuff with shooting engage the slower stuff cut it apart! The mission expects lower unit counts, I was hoping for a tease of how control and force org slot interact... Just to feel secure in how much troops are needed or not as the case may be

Yeah, the problem with “flip it and move on” is that the other player can just flip it back... and Custodes really don’t have much shooting and don’t move terribly fast.

I’m totally genuinely excited to play this mission though. It looks like it’s going to be the perfect combination of strategic mental puzzle as I try to come up with a list, tactical mental puzzle as I try to respond to my opponent’s actions during the game, and good old fashioned dice chuckin’ as the Random Number Gods decide to @&#% with us both.