40K 9th ed

KennyD76

2 hours ago, Ish said:

This article doesn’t go into detail on how you “get those CP refunded,” instead teasing us that they’ll reveal it in a future update. On the other hand, we already know that the detachment with your Warlord in it gets its CP cost refunded, so a Imperial/Renegade Knight Faction army shouldn’t had any problems.

The CP refund for the warlord was printed on the command benefits section of other detachments... I suspect the Titanic knights will expand the special rule of their character status to give the refunds. This will have interesting impacts on other Lords of war

I know this is a niche option, but Salamanders can exchange a Reiver sergeant's combat knife with a Drakeblade relic.  Str user, AP -4, damage 2, unmodified wound rolls of 6 deal an additional mortal wound.  Gives them some much needed anti-armor.

EDIT: It is special-issue wargear.  Successor chapters can use it, too.

I want to like Reivers. They look awesome and the concept is great... But they totally fumbled on their rules (and they didn’t help by introducing those Vanguard super-snipers [I forget their name] and now the assault Intercessors).

Moving them to Fast Attack would help, as would making their grappling hooks and grav-chutes a free part of their kit. Their morale debuffing also needs a re-evaluation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ish said:

I want to like Reivers. They look awesome and the concept is great... But they totally fumbled on their rules (and they didn’t help by introducing those Vanguard super-snipers [I forget their name] and now the assault Intercessors).

Moving them to Fast Attack would help, as would making their grappling hooks and grav-chutes a free part of their kit. Their morale debuffing also needs a re-evaluation.

Yes, fast attack would make a lot more sense for them.   They parachute in, hit,  batman grappling hook out.

I want to want them. I want to buy several boxes, and proudly run terror stealth troops. I think GW must realize that they suck, because people don't buy them. I really like all of the suggestions here... 

My ideas; Stealth deployment free, combat knife automatically part of their kit, carbine becomes assault 2, -1LD tests and -1 Combat Attrition tests... Lastly, and most importantly, the Sgt needs access to an upgraded weapon, like intercessors get. You need that extra punch. If they don't get that, they need something awesome, like their CC attacks auto-wound on 6's, just so they can put wounds on high toughness things. Otherwise, they are just out classed for the slot. I'd also love to see them be moved to troops, but that's not going to happen. FA would be fine too.

1 hour ago, blackvigil said:

I want to want them. I want to buy several boxes, and proudly run terror stealth troops. I think GW must realize that they suck, because people don't buy them. I really like all of the suggestions here... 

My ideas; Stealth deployment free, combat knife automatically part of their kit, carbine becomes assault 2, -1LD tests and -1 Combat Attrition tests... Lastly, and most importantly, the Sgt needs access to an upgraded weapon, like intercessors get. You need that extra punch. If they don't get that, they need something awesome, like their CC attacks auto-wound on 6's, just so they can put wounds on high toughness things. Otherwise, they are just out classed for the slot. I'd also love to see them be moved to troops, but that's not going to happen. FA would be fine too.

Not to pick at knits, but the bolt carbine they carry is already assault 2. It was actually pretty damn good until they made Intercessor auto bolt rifles assault 3.

This means that a unit of six or more models cannot stand in a single file line, unless they are very close together... That’s gonna be rough for Imperial Guard and Tau that are trying to defend a trench line.

A <-> B <-> C <-> D <-> E <-> F 

A 25 mm base is 0.984” in diameter. You’ll need to have A no more than 2” from C, meaning you can only have 0.508” between A <-> B and B <-> C. Same thing for D, E, F. But since very few of us bring calipers with three decimal place accuracy to game night, we’re really looking at a half inch or less gap between models.

I understand that they’re trying to avoid things like the Kroot Conga Line, but, really, I think it would have been more practical to have this restriction kick in at 11+ models. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MexicanNinja said:

I really like the addition of the 3rd bullet.  I can't cheese out my grots no mores.

You also can't deploy in a line anymore, even when not being cheesy. I understand what they were trying to do, but this seems like a weird solution to me. 5 models in a line is okay, 6 models would never stand side by side!

I can already see the 3++ Is The New Black article where they explore the precise geometry behind ways to cheese your way around this rule.

For example, below, in a six man squad, ABC and DEF must be 1/2” apart from each other (as explained above), but C and D can be 2” apart. This pattern will repeat every three men in the squad.

A <-> B <-> C <——> D <-> E <-> F

Slightly off topic, but since I’ve started collecting Custodes, I figured I’d flip through the Horus Heresy rules for them in case I ever wanted to play 30k (Spoiler: I don’t.) and they have a very interesting army wide rule in that system that gives them a 3” coherency.

I was kinda half-heartedly hoping they’d add that to them for Ninth Edition... That looks like a No.

Since there are no templates, there is no big issue for bunching up models anymore. Instead what they are trying to limit are the nonsense formations that people use to screw someone over. I find this very encouraging. Too often people mistake "abuse" for "clever". Or even more common, since it doesn't say you can't... if winning is that important to you, please find another opponent. I'm too old to deal with that nonsense anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brother Glacius said:

Since there are no templates, there is no big issue for bunching up models anymore. Instead what they are trying to limit are the nonsense formations that people use to screw someone over. I find this very encouraging. Too often people mistake "abuse" for "clever". Or even more common, since it doesn't say you can't... if winning is that important to you, please find another opponent. I'm too old to deal with that nonsense anymore.

I have the opposite conclusion. I've seen people try to do janky things with positioning before but it's very rare. What's extremely common is people haphazardly placing models without too much concern because coherency is easy to eyeball.

Now we're going to have to be diligent all the time and calling people out for accidental placement mistakes since coherency is changing meaningfully for the first time in 20+ years. 

Very much a throwing the baby out with the bathwater solution. We solved a rare problem by introducing a solution that will come up way more than the "problem" ever did.

I’ve always liked the way that WarmaHordes handled unit coherency. Every unit had a leader figure with a specific stat – Command, I think was the name – and all models in the unit had to be within that many inches of their leader. Simple to remember, easy to “eyeball,” and really simple to check with precision (if needed) without slowing down gameplay, and so forth.

It seems like it’d be pretty easy to implement this sort of rule in WH40k, since every model has a Leadership stat on their profile already.

Unit Coherency: All models in a unit must be wholly within X inches of the unit Leader, where X is equal to the Leader’s Leadership. At the end of your Morale Phase, any models not in coherency are removed from play.”

3 hours ago, Ish said:

I can already see the 3++ Is The New Black article where they explore the precise geometry behind ways to cheese your way around this rule.

For example, below, in a six man squad, ABC and DEF must be 1/2” apart from each other (as explained above), but C and D can be 2” apart. This pattern will repeat every three men in the squad.

A <-> B <-> C <——> D <-> E <-> F

Based on my reading of the Unit Coherency check block. 

j5Oo5K3WqBw4dC1Z.jpg

You would only need to kill either C or D and it would kill off multiple men.