• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As I've been saying for years, every time GW introduces a new product -- be it as major as a new edition or as minor as a redesigned paint brush cup -- the reactions are eerily predictable:  33%

I predict that the new edition will fix a lot of the imbalances of the current, the first half dozen new codices will be nicely balanced, and although the Internet hive-mind will figure out a couple q

Yeah. I just hate it when people voluntarily agree to exchange their wealth for the goods or services voluntarily being offered by others. 🙄

Posted Images

image.jpeg.b0f3a8df3036ba54866b511f5e0f81e9.jpeg

Each Convergence of Dominion consists of three Starstele (they’re the big obelisk-type things), which are seriously durable and armed with impressively deadly transdimensional abductors! Even better, they bolster units from your dynasty that are nearby and, with the help of a friendly Cryptek, can perform Translocation Protocols to redeploy across the battlefield.

Cool! It definitely seems like GW has decided to start offering terrain for factions other than “Generic Imperial.”

Lemme run this past the hive-mind...

New rulebook pdf, page 18 (emphasis added):

The player commanding the target unit then makes one saving throw by rolling one D6 and modifying the roll by the Armour Penetration (AP) characteristic of the weapon that the attack was made with. For example, if the weapon has an AP of -1, then 1 is subtracted from the saving throw roll. If the result is equal to, or greater than, the Save (Sv) characteristic of the model the attack was allocated to, then the saving throw is successful and the attack sequence ends. If the result is less than the model’s Save characteristic, then the saving throw fails and the model suffers damage. An unmodified roll of 1 always fails.

And from page five (emphasis added:

A dice roll can be modified above its maximum possible value (for example, a D6 roll can be modified above 6) but it can never be modified below 1. If, after all modifiers have been applied, a dice roll would be less than 1, count that result as a 1.

This would me that if the leaked Bladeguard Veteran storm shield rule (4++ Invulnerable and a +1 to Save characteristic) is applied to units with a 2+ Save characteristic like Custodes and Terminators... They’ll have a 1+ Armor Save and be virtually indestructible! 

Let’s say you’ve got a 1+ Armor Save being hit by an AP -6 weapon:

If you roll a 1, an unmodified roll of 1 always fails; Save Failed.

If you roll a 2 through 6, it will be modified to a 1; This is equal to the Save characteristic of the model; Save Passed.

Laughs in Gold ]

16 minutes ago, andy said:

For those who suspect the recent [big bad swear word]storm of leaks was GW guerrilla marketing: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/667861432?t=00h10m31s

Spoiler: It wasn't

Slightly off topic, but for the love of Zod, why don’t people ever edit out the “Waiting to Start” nonsense from uploads of live stream reruns?

This video takes ELEVEN MINUTES to get to the actual content!?

14 minutes ago, Ish said:

Slightly off topic, but for the love of Zod, why don’t people ever edit out the “Waiting to Start” nonsense from uploads of live stream reruns?

This video takes ELEVEN MINUTES to get to the actual content!?

Twitch makes it easy to push a button to do reruns. Not sure they care to delete the extra time as it would just cost time/money. Sure wish Twitch could automatically remove the pause screen for reruns!

I tried out Streamlabs which seems to be the streaming platform of choice for Twitch and others. You can have a waiting to start screen/pause/whatever while you connect to the streaming platform but are still getting things ready in the other window. My understanding of the workflow is you start your Twitch stream via Streamlabs which then shows the waiting to start screen(or anything you want to show), start your video chat program which involves sometimes restarting connections and making sure mikes work etc, load up your other content you want to show on the stream, arrange all the windows in streamlabs, then press start stream. Some content creators have a different workflow, but with all the pictures and stuff GW's stream shows it sounds like they have a 3rd person doing the stream and they just connect via a video chat like Zoom.

I would be very careful about thinking "killing is less than half as important". I don't think the impact of Primary Objective scoring in your next command phase should be ignored. You may not gain any primary objective points for killing a unit, however you can prevent the scoring of primary points by killing a unit on an objective.

In addition, there are not only Secondary Objectives that directly gain you points for killing, but several of the positional secondaries specify things like: no enemy units can be within 6" (for example).

So you may not get casually get points for killing, but your opponent will be able to keep you from scoring if you can't clean them away from objectives.

In addition, I think that the secondaries discourage just castling up in your deployment zone and shooting, because you'll note that many of the secondaries are scored at the end if your turn (as opposed to primaries). So in order to deny these secondaries, you'll need to be out in the field (and of course to score them yourself you'll need to leave your DZ).

On 7/1/2020 at 8:50 AM, Ish said:

MxQT2JG.png

The Command Benefit means you only get the CP rebate if your Warlord is in the Supreme Command Detachment which means he will not in the Brigade/Battalion/Patrol Detachment, in which case it still costs 4/3/2 CP. You don't get extra CP by having this detachment, you simply won't lose any... But it does meant Magnus, Mortarian, and Roboute won't necessarily spend Ninth Edition decorating your shelves.

I like the "must be selected as your warlord".

9 minutes ago, Mulgrok said:

I keep seeing people saying HQ are less valuable because they are more vulnerable in 9th, but in my Salamander army I already charge forward with them and use them to draw fire because they are durable.

Its because those people were the people hiding swarms and scouts around the table (with no intention of using said units) while moving characters around with no care.

WH40k only really has two types of characters: “squishy wizards“ and “smashy barbarians.”

Squishy wizards, like Farseers and Company Commanders, should be vulnerable, but the player should also work to keep them safe and protected. They exist to hand out powerful buffs and your opponents should be rewarded if they can maneuver things so that they can assassinate them.

Smashy barbarians, like Warbosses and Chapter Masters, shouldn’t be especially vulnerable. They exist to charge forward, lead from the front, and beat face. But people got too reliant on the unintended quirks of 8th Edition’s character targeting rules and forgot that their smashy barbarian characters are supposed to be tough not immortal.

Played my first game of 9th today. I'm sure we got a million things wrong but it was good!

Played against my friend's space wolves and rolled up the Scorched Earth scenario. 6 objectives and after you score the ones on your opponent's deployment edge, you can spend your entire turn destroying them for extra VP.

We decided to skip secondary objectives for now. With the rules being available for less than 24 hours, we wanted to focus on fundamentals and not worry too much about game result. As a side note, if you do skip the secondaries, all other scoring is divisible by 5, so you can just track clumps of 5 as 1 to keep the tallying down.

My main takeaways were:

-Resilience is key for holding objectives, obsec not so much. Troops are in a weird place.

-No stacking negatives is every bit as bad for Drukhari as I thought it would be. When suppressors deep strike in with their heavy weapons, why not fire at the aircraft? They're negative -1 to hit, so there's no penalty for moving and firing heavy weapons at them. Very counterintuitive. Limiting my ability to stack modifiers makes sense, eliminating consequences for moving heavy weapons or moving and advancing assault weapons doesn't. 

-MCs and Dreads are great. My Talos haywire blasted a wounded dread and then charged the unit of grey hunters he was protecting. Definitely dropping flyers for more Talos. And getting double liquifier guns on them. Flamer type weapons are going to be so good on MCs

-Unit coherency takes concentration. It was pretty minimal, because I only had 5 squads of 5, my opponent had only 2 squads numbering 6 or more. The very first time he moved one squad, he accidentally had one model trailing who would have died if we weren't doing givebacks. I would seriously consider movement trays for units larger than 5, because our usual movement habits will get models killed. 

-17 CPs per game is a lot of CPs!

I watched some top players talking about how LoS is a problem with the new rules. I just wonder why they are going into the terrain instead of standing just outside it, if they don't want to be shot at.

Put objectives at the farside of the terrain, away from the opponent.  So you can stand outside the terrain, with no LoS, and still score objective.  This is not rocket science.

10 hours ago, Mulgrok said:

I watched some top players talking about how LoS is a problem with the new rules. I just wonder why they are going into the terrain instead of standing just outside it, if they don't want to be shot at.

Put objectives at the farside of the terrain, away from the opponent.  So you can stand outside the terrain, with no LoS, and still score objective.  This is not rocket science.

The Eternal War missions use predetermined objective placement, so cleverness is off the table unfortunately.

Oddly, the game setup order does have you set objectives first, then terrain after. So I suppose you could try to place terrain features to give you an advantage, but I wouldn't count on this. Tournaments, for instance, are going to have preset terrain anyway, so the usual order of operations won't be followed (why they put it in that order knowing full well people won't follow it, I'll never know).

That said, I don't think LoS is a problem, it just takes some getting used to. Corner piece ruins, for instance, tend to have a triangular shape on their 2 remaining walls. The tallest point where the walls meet, and then the tattered walls barely and inch or 2 high on the edges. Well if the tallest point is 5", then you have to imagine the whole building as infinitely tall and solid, so those short areas can be very misleading with LoS.

Definitely doesn't make it a problem though.

@Munkie I fully agree with you on terrain.  I'm so excited to see terrain matter again.  These new terrain rules are going to add much needed dynamics to the game.

It's my opinion that a good majority of the people complaining about line of sight are the people who play gunlines, never want to manoeuvre, and think shooting assault armies off the table in 2-3 turns makes them good at the game.

Just by the leaks, it appears that 9th will be a nice balance between "kill lanes" and maneuvering around the board.

I greatly look forward to playing my BA and Orks in this edition.