40K 9th ed

KennyD76

Thats what it was in 8th as well. If you saw it you could shoot it. Now we have terrain features that will obscure things. 

Use ones imagination as model size does not always equal scaled sized of that unit. 

So for the picture of the 2 tanks on opposite sides of the wall its possible the "Magic Bullet" is the tank commander going "Frak this! Shoot it through the wall and maybe we get lucky!"

As for the space marine hitting the flag, maybe the Bolt strikes the flag tearing it off and causing it to fall into the engine, onto an exposed crew member, or into the exhaust. 

Its war and chaos happens frequently. 

Just apply Imagination.

d9h69nv-25e7d428-0a92-4654-9fb8-ab298784

• Like 5

I'm wrapping my head around the idea that despite the size and shape of my raiders and venoms, all measurements are done to the base.

I mean you only measure to the hull if there is no base, right? That's what that posted section says...

Does that mean that if I put a raider picket fence facing towards a unit, they can't be charged by the unit? They wouldn't be able to get to those bases with all those the pesky hulls in the way!

Monoliths are immune to charges right now, maybe Repulsors too?

• Poop 1

8 minutes ago, Munkie said:

I'm wrapping my head around the idea that despite the size and shape of my raiders and venoms, all measurements are done to the base.

I mean you only measure to the hull if there is no base, right? That's what that posted section says...

Does that mean that if I put a raider picket fence facing towards a unit, they can't be charged by it? They wouldn't be able to get to those bases with all those the pesky hulls in the way!

Some models with bases have special rules that say to use the hull (which is the case for Monliths and Repulsors), or to use whichever of the hull/base is closer (which is the case for Raiders); if not, then you use the base. So no, your Raider shenanigans doesn't work, and Venoms don't stick out far enough beyond the base to attempt that anyway.

• Thanks 1

Well there would be a million impacts to the venoms anyway, that the one example wouldn't make it a non-issue (like disembarking troops for instance). I forgot they separated that section of measuring into a codex specific distinction, though. Didn't even think to check there.

11 hours ago, Munkie said:

Does that mean that if I put a raider picket fence facing towards a unit, they can't be charged by the unit? They wouldn't be able to get to those bases with all those the pesky hulls in the way!

You would measure to the hull for these things.

1 minute ago, blackvigil said:

For sure. I wonder what the secondary market for the individual unit will be. You know there will be ebayers buying up the boxes as fast as they can.

Indeed there will be. I am looking at buying the box set... I want to turn those Primaris into Ork count as Primaris 

6 minutes ago, blackvigil said:

For sure. I wonder what the secondary market for the individual unit will be. You know there will be ebayers buying up the boxes as fast as they can.

They posted a limit on number of boxes per order to 3.  Don't know if it will be enforced.

Most of the dedicated scalpers will be able to worm their way around any ordering limit. Either by using multiple accounts (me, my husband, my two kids... that’s twelve) or if they’re really dedicated, by signing up with GW as a retailer and placing a wholesale order (yes, this violates all sorts of contracts, but it’s hard to track or enforce).

4 minutes ago, scottshoemaker said:

Any early reports how it plays for small games?  I no longer have any interest in army sized battles.I like the idea of around 750 pts.

They have directly supported small games with dedicated missions,  so probably better than previous editions. And by small I mean 500 pts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scottshoemaker said:

Any early reports how it plays for small games?  I no longer have any interest in army sized battles.I like the idea of around 750 pts.

I haven’t seen any battle reports or anything, but a lot of the preview materials and hype buzz has stated that smaller format games were being given as much design attention as large ones.

With 500 Point “Combat Patrol” and 501-1,000 Point “Incursion” formats getting dedicated missions, specific objectives, and so forth.

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

im missing how this disagrees with me.  lol

It says that you can declare attacks against a unit that you charged, or "that performed a Heroic Intervention this turn."

So if you charge a unit, and someone performs a Heroic Intervention, you can attack them as well as the unit you charged.

Interestingly, due to that wording, you can attack any unit that performed a Heroic Intervention, not just one that heroically intervened against you.

For instance, if you had 2 units charge 1 squad, and then a 3rd nearby friendly squad didn't charge, but happened to be in Heroic Intervention range of an enemy character and he pounced. If one of your charging squads kills the enemy unit, the second squad can pile-in and, if they can make engagement range, attack that enemy character before he swings.

• Like 2