Jump to content

40K 9th ed


KennyD76

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, blackvigil said:

For sure. I wonder what the secondary market for the individual unit will be. You know there will be ebayers buying up the boxes as fast as they can.

They posted a limit on number of boxes per order to 3.  Don't know if it will be enforced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the dedicated scalpers will be able to worm their way around any ordering limit. Either by using multiple accounts (me, my husband, my two kids... that’s twelve) or if they’re really dedicated, by signing up with GW as a retailer and placing a wholesale order (yes, this violates all sorts of contracts, but it’s hard to track or enforce).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, scottshoemaker said:

Any early reports how it plays for small games?  I no longer have any interest in army sized battles.I like the idea of around 750 pts.

They have directly supported small games with dedicated missions,  so probably better than previous editions. And by small I mean 500 pts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, scottshoemaker said:

Any early reports how it plays for small games?  I no longer have any interest in army sized battles.I like the idea of around 750 pts.

I haven’t seen any battle reports or anything, but a lot of the preview materials and hype buzz has stated that smaller format games were being given as much design attention as large ones.

With 500 Point “Combat Patrol” and 501-1,000 Point “Incursion” formats getting dedicated missions, specific objectives, and so forth.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Hanaur said:

im missing how this disagrees with me.  lol

It says that you can declare attacks against a unit that you charged, or "that performed a Heroic Intervention this turn."

So if you charge a unit, and someone performs a Heroic Intervention, you can attack them as well as the unit you charged.

Interestingly, due to that wording, you can attack any unit that performed a Heroic Intervention, not just one that heroically intervened against you.

For instance, if you had 2 units charge 1 squad, and then a 3rd nearby friendly squad didn't charge, but happened to be in Heroic Intervention range of an enemy character and he pounced. If one of your charging squads kills the enemy unit, the second squad can pile-in and, if they can make engagement range, attack that enemy character before he swings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

I wonder if Ordo will do another Escalation League for 9th. 

I mean, the last one we started kicked off a global pandemic.  Not gonna say to it was all because of those po walkers, but....

 

Probably going to be light on organized events through the year, just to try and keep attendance manageable at the clubhouse, but if anyone has ideas and wants to organize something, feel free to shoot me or @DisruptiveConduct a pm and we can chat about it.  
 

We could also look at some sort of challenge board or points ladder, if there’s a format that would revolve more around smaller, schedules games, rather than trying to get all comers together on a given day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ninefinger said:

I mean, the last one we started kicked off a global pandemic.  Not gonna say to it was all because of those po walkers, but....

 

Probably going to be light on organized events through the year, just to try and keep attendance manageable at the clubhouse, but if anyone has ideas and wants to organize something, feel free to shoot me or @DisruptiveConduct a pm and we can chat about it.  
 

We could also look at some sort of challenge board or points ladder, if there’s a format that would revolve more around smaller, schedules games, rather than trying to get all comers together on a given day.

Just run games at 501-1000 points once things release and we shall see what happens.. or do Escalation league.... Ok, I might start this up. I want to set up a new army anyways (well... convert one...) I will send a PM to both of you to see what has worked and such and see what I can set up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Small sized games >1000 points have never suffered from rules problems, but from army selection issues. The idea that you can bring a battalion of a bare bones Space Marine Captain, a LT, and then three squads of MSU Intersessors, and I can bring a Superheavy detachment of, oh, why not a Imperial Knight and then 100 points of Guardsman in a Patrol detachment to maximize CP and play a game... I wonder who will win?

It looks like 9th edition limits games by Power Level, and not so much points level. Maybe the days of a 1,850 point tournaments are over, and instead we'll see PL 100 instead. It would certainly make army creation so, so much easier, and the TO's job easier in verifying army lists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ish said:

Goonhammer just put out a very nice explanation of the Crusade system. Perhaps we should all just agree to spend the remainder of 2020 playing our games as informal pickup games, but with everyone using the Crusade rules?

From what I have seen the Crusade rules are meant to be a campaign based thing so doing them for pick up games, lets say someone only plays 40k once every 2-3 weeks vs someone who plays both Tuesday and Sunday would be a HUGE and unfair situation. 

 

Since crusade based games being tracked will result in a ton of work by the GM (read Narrator) it could become very complicated

2 minutes ago, Tamwulf said:

Small sized games >1000 points have never suffered from rules problems, but from army selection issues. The idea that you can bring a battalion of a bare bones Space Marine Captain, a LT, and then three squads of MSU Intersessors, and I can bring a Superheavy detachment of, oh, why not a Imperial Knight and then 100 points of Guardsman in a Patrol detachment to maximize CP and play a game... I wonder who will win?

It looks like 9th edition limits games by Power Level, and not so much points level. Maybe the days of a 1,850 point tournaments are over, and instead we'll see PL 100 instead. It would certainly make army creation so, so much easier, and the TO's job easier in verifying army lists.

 Points are coming out later from what I gathered so its not based on PL. Tabletop Titans has eluded to just this but they cant go over this due to their NDA.

 

You could bring that Knight and the guardsman but still vastly lose the game now. 

 

Games are not like Malestrom of war any longer they are more dedicated to taking and holding objectives and you have to hold them at the start of your next turn to even count them, then there are secondaries that you need to accomplish, and if those Space Marines take out your Knight or tag him in combat since you are limited on overwatch as a CP action and he can now not use any blast weapons, well things can go bad very fast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

From what I have seen the Crusade rules are meant to be a campaign based thing so doing them for pick up games, lets say someone only plays 40k once every 2-3 weeks vs someone who plays both Tuesday and Sunday would be a HUGE and unfair situation. 

Well, that’s why I said “perhaps we should all agree” to doing it. Which would always leave open the option of not doing it... Let’s say Adam, Betty, Carl, Diana, and Ed are all playing Crusade games every week. After having been in Timbuktu for work for the last ten years, Franklin drops into Ordo for a game night during his one week back in town before heading back to Timbuktu. Adam and Franklin agree to have a game. Franklin doesn’t have a Crusade record sheet, Adam does. So they just say “heck with it” and play a regular game of one-off 40k.

On the other hand, the Crusade system expressly has a balancing mechanism for players with different Crusade scores. So, if Adam, Betty, Carl, Diana, and Ed are all playing Crusade games every week and Geoff decides to jump in during week three... Geoff’s force will have 0 Crusade Points, Betty’s force might have 15 Crusade Points. Geoff is given a pool of bonus Command Points to help level the playing field during their match. (It’s basically Blood Bowl’s inducements system!)

I’m not gonna pretend Crusade is perfectly mechanically balanced. I haven’t even read the full rules for it, so there’s no possibility of my even knowing for sure. My gut feeling is that it’s probably close enough to balanced to work, but will still have quirks and flaws. I wouldn’t want to see Crusade used in a tournament environment, but it seems perfect as a fun little bonus to tack on to weekly pick-up game nights. Like a nice alternative to a Ladder or a Camapign.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Preorder for the Indomitus box is what this saturday and that comes with the rule book so we should see 9th effectively drop by the end of the month

 

13 minutes ago, Ish said:

Well, that’s why I said “perhaps we should all agree” to doing it. Which would always leave open the option of not doing it... Let’s say Adam, Betty, Carl, Diana, and Ed are all playing Crusade games every week. After having been in Timbuktu for work for the last ten years, Franklin drops into Ordo for a game night during his one week back in town before heading back to Timbuktu. Adam and Franklin agree to have a game. Franklin doesn’t have a Crusade record sheet, Adam does. So they just say “heck with it” and play a regular game of one-off 40k.

On the other hand, the Crusade system expressly has a balancing mechanism for players with different Crusade scores. So, if Adam, Betty, Carl, Diana, and Ed are all playing Crusade games every week and Geoff decides to jump in during week three... Geoff’s force will have 0 Crusade Points, Betty’s force might have 15 Crusade Points. Geoff is given a pool of bonus Command Points to help level the playing field during their match. (It’s basically Blood Bowl’s inducements system!)

I’m not gonna pretend Crusade is perfectly mechanically balanced. I haven’t even read the full rules for it, so there’s no possibility of my even knowing for sure. My gut feeling is that it’s probably close enough to balanced to work, but will still have quirks and flaws. I wouldn’t want to see Crusade used in a tournament environment, but it seems perfect as a fun little bonus to tack on to weekly pick-up game nights. Like a nice alternative to a Ladder or a Camapign.

I will nee to read the Crusade rules themselves and see what can be done. 

 

I do want a narrative campaign and this can accomplish that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2020 at 4:18 PM, Munkie said:

It says that you can declare attacks against a unit that you charged, or "that performed a Heroic Intervention this turn."

So if you charge a unit, and someone performs a Heroic Intervention, you can attack them as well as the unit you charged.

Interestingly, due to that wording, you can attack any unit that performed a Heroic Intervention, not just one that heroically intervened against you.

For instance, if you had 2 units charge 1 squad, and then a 3rd nearby friendly squad didn't charge, but happened to be in Heroic Intervention range of an enemy character and he pounced. If one of your charging squads kills the enemy unit, the second squad can pile-in and, if they can make engagement range, attack that enemy character before he swings.

but I didn't say you couldnt?  But you are right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...