40K 9th ed

KennyD76

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Yeah, that's definitely one of the problems. I hate it, because it makes me feel guilty for playing Marines. I've had games where my chapter rules have so completely overpowered my opponent, not because I'm being That Guy, but just because of the rules, that I feel like a dick. Even just tactical marines are overpowered when every bolter in the squad has exploding 6's. It's part of the reason I want to start a second army that isn't Marines.

ya, new players hate Master Artisans because it looks like cheating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mulgrok said:

I would probably look like a douche because I made my Marines fluffy by putting combi-flamer and meltagun in every tactical squad.

It was plasma and missile launchers for me (though I seldom fielded a squad bigger than 5... Crimson Fists, and all.) But I'd usually give the sarge a combi weapon or a storm bolter or something, too.

3 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I played almost all PL in 8th edition. We basically just played wysiwyg. If it was on the model, then you were good to go. That way there is no confusion. Beyond that, if you are trying to test something out, then we'd just ask our opponent ahead of time. Much harder to do for random pickup games I suppose, but worth a try.

I think I played one game of PL with a friend before I actually got back into the game, just as a demo for how the new edition works. I haven't gone back to it since, so maybe I didn't give it a fair shake.

Just now, Brother Glacius said:

I can't remember the last time I played outside of my house. 😞

Dude, I wish I had a place to play here at home (and people to play with, because my GF has zero interest.) It's so much easier to be selective and weed out That Guy and just play with the folks you know are super cool. 

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Even just tactical marines are overpowered when every bolter in the squad has exploding 6's. It's part of the reason I want to start a second army that isn't Marines.

Bolter Discipline is a horrible, terrible, no-good, very bad rule... and I say this as someone with an Imperial Fists army.

• Like 1

I agree. Classic bolters did need a boost to make them better, but having exploding 6's on every single weapon with the word "bolt" in the name is a bit much. And the other chapter tactic for Crimson Fists is kinda weak, but they really could have come up with something better for a boost. Then again, I also get that boost for shooting vehicles with heavy weapons in Devastator doctrine, so I can't complain too much.

13 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I bought my wife the Sisters army...she is actually putting it together with the intent with learning how to play.

I love this army. Love the models, love the rules, love the style. Hopefully she'll dig it.

The amount of "extra cool bits" is crazy. You can really make some nice variation just with some simple part swaps, and all the power-armor kits work well together.

Speaking of Marines being a problem....

Planning Permission Authorised…

While we’re discussing Fortifications, we couldn’t resist showing you a few highlights from the datasheets of the upcoming units for the Space Marines and Necrons! First up the Hammerfall Bunker… 

Vf4kU72tZc3DfN16.jpg

We showed you the profiles for its suped-up (in fact, ‘superfrag’ or ‘superkrak’ no less) missile launcher already, but you’ll surely have noticed all the guns sprouting from it in every direction. These rapid-deployment bastions are the ultimate area-denial assets, as their automated guns blaze away at EVERY ENEMY UNIT WITHIN RANGE. Approach this murder-bunker of doom at your peril!

9uLNe39tQ1kTsN2a.jpg

Just now, Sgt. Rock said:

That thing was also much more lightly armed, as I recall. This thing is the greatest argument for fire arcs to return that I've seen yet.

The Hammerfall has secondary weapons (flamers or bolters) on all four facings and it's missile turret is capable of 360° rotation.  A return of fire arc rules (which I do miss) wouldn't actually do anything to affect it.

35 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

That's fair, none of us have. I'm just basing it off the idea that there is a twin heavy bolter fixed to each side of a square, immovable fortification.

The fact that the shots are increased in the rule tells me it prolly gets half shots all around but pumps both barrels into overwatch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andy said:

That's my concern with PL play... the unwritten rule to not be "That Guy". I have a unit of Crisis Suits equipped with CIBs (by FAR the best weapon choice). If I bring them to a PL game, I have to worry if I'm "That Guy". Maybe I am, maybe I'm not. Depends on my opponent. If I play a points-based game, I don't have to worry about it... I paid my points, I play my unit. Sure, it's still possible to be "That Guy" but I have to work a lot harder at it by bringing 3 maxed out Crisis Bombs rather than just optimal weapon choices on a unit.

Of course, if I'm just "That Guy" by personality it really doesn't matter does it? 😄

You wouldn't really be "That Guy". Not to mention people are who have tested the tau think that Crisis Suits have multiple viable options. 

Regardless, This isnt just a "murderfest your opponents army" game play. Its to accomplish the missions to get more wins and such

If you put 3 Maxed out Crisis Bombs in your Crusade List... well you are stuck with those unless you remove them entirely at which point why bring them 😛

Its not so much about what you are bringing its how you are playing (which is rich coming from me, a guy who has manner problems in games at times or at least huge mood shifts depending on the game). 

Just play to have fun and if you see an army where your abilites are going to roflstom them, make them aware. Dont blind side them, dont try to sneak it by them. Those actions make you THAT GUY more than what you bring. 

For me, I have requested people bring the That Guy list so I could play against them for the challenge (won that one too handily...Knights REALLY dont like Da Souped up Shokka, who knew) Try and make the game fun and exciting. I am not that great of a fluff player but those I have played with who are make the game feel immersive and that can deepen the enjoyment of the game regardless of how good/bad they are doing.

1 hour ago, Ish said:

I was under the impression that all eight of the secondary weapons were actually lumped together into one weapon profile. Obviously, I haven't seen the full datasheet for this...

Thats the impression I get as well. It would be silly to have 4 different sets of weapons that ALL could attack every model on the table they can reach and see

23 minutes ago, Mulgrok said:

Pe-order sold out while payment was authorizing.  Thanks for nothing, GW.

They are getting DRAGGED for it on FB, too. And apparently they screwed stores on the amount of box sets they could get. I'm running over to Guardian at noon to order the core book and Chapter Approved - I'm assuming those will be easier to get, at least. 🤞

• Like 1