40K 9th ed

KennyD76

On 7/20/2021 at 7:18 AM, necrontyr said:

I feel like you might be over-reacting a little bit. 

New Beast-snaggas are only wounded on a 4+ against strength 6 and 7 attacks, and that's only if they're Snakebites. They still have one wound and a 6+ save.

Nothing the Orks have is as tough as a C'tan. Even Ghazghkull can take more wounds per phase than any of the C'tan, and the Deceiver is the weakest one.

The Kill Rig is a big killy vehicle. Tough 8, 16 wounds, 3+ save. No character protection, no invul, nothing special. It's not even as tough as a Land Raider. 

Sure, Orks have some cool new tricks, but let's see them on the table and play some games before we start yelling the sky is falling.

Slight Correction, Kill Rig has a 6+ Invul because it is Beast Snagga but that is about it. 

They did make the Kill Rig like a Character so if you gave it a Warlord Trait it ONLY gets 1 warlord trait.

The Ork Codex is NOT top tier, nor is it even CLOSE to Dark Angels in strength. It DOES have a ton of playability and viability but the strats are bad (we do have an anti Tanglefoot strat!!!, we only have 1 turn of advance and charge all game, and yea... I am not a fan of the army rules, but I am happy about the Kulturs and the Units for the most part. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh, look, GW has decided to give my current army the exact sort of thing that turned me off to my previous armies: a complicated as hell system of wordy special rules with complex interactions with other special rules that I am forced to change ever turn of the game. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/02/powerful-new-shield-host-rules-cement-the-adeptus-custodes-as-the-true-elites-of-humanity/

• Sad 1

Assuming the new special character champion guy costs about the same as a Shield-Captain (so ~100-ish points) and there aren’t any big shifts in the costs of the current units, the Shadow Throne box will have about 400 Points of Custodes… and not form a legal army as it lacks Troops (unless the Sisters get moved to the Troops slot, which I don’t think is likely).

My God, that article. I learned Custodes are going to be very complicated. I couldn't make heads or tails of what, why, or how.

You choose a martial art of some exotic name resplendent with vowels and apostrophes and choose 1 of 2 stances from that. But sometimes you get to use both, but still have to declare which one you chose because things trigger off the one you chose and you can't choose it again, but you still get the benefits of the one you didn't choose and are free to choose that one next turn and you'll still get the benefits of the one you chose this turn because you'll choose the other one next turn, which makes the one you chose this turn the one you didn't choose-but-still-get-to-benefit-from next turn.

Duh.

Obviously.

Right?

• Haha 2

Why the hell they felt the need to misspell “kata” as “ka’tah” is beyond me… As is their decision to use a bizarrely mangled Japanese word in a fictional universe where they have long established that Latin (or at least badly mangled faux Latin or really badly mangled Greek) is the lingua franca of the Imperium of Man.

Especially as all of the “ka’tah” have names in Latin. For example, the Kapatris Ka’tah seems to be derived from capisterium or skaphisterion which refers to threshing grain.

”Katah” is a type of bread made in Armenian cuisine. Which makes about as much sense for naming a martial art as using “Astartes,” the name of a Semitic goddess of sex and fertility, to refer to an elite force of fighting men.

It also bugs me that the Custodes have always been said to fight as individuals and not with the unit- and army-wide cohesiveness of the Space Marines. So having the entire army all use the same fighting stance at the same time no matter where they are on the battlefield makes no sense to me. At all.

• Like 1

... perhaps since they're no longer just on Terra and actually out and about, the "old ways" are being tossed in favor of new adaptations to survive/win/etc.

In Heresy days, single Custodes that were "loaned" to expeditions and such never came back if they were "loaned" to the wrong group (i.e. traitors).

Not defending, just thinking that folks are actively trying to get away from all the old shackles and write new stuff? 

The whole central theme of WH40k’s Imperium has always been the combination of stagnation and hubris.  The closer to the center of power you get, the more hidebound and ossified everyone becomes… An insignificant Imperial Guardsman Colonel on the fringes of the galaxy in some minor crusade over a nameless mudball might do something innovative, like change the turret-mounted weapon on their Chimera (and get executed for heresy if they got noticed). But the personal bodyguard of the God-Emperor!? These men should not suddenly cease doing things the way they have since before the Unification Wars on Terra. 

• Like 2

If they wanted to stay true to the themes and tone that Rick Priestly included in his universe, then GW would be having Chaos, the Tyranids, and Tau, be the source of changes to the status quo of the universe. Not the stagnant and decaying forces of the Imperium, Eldar, and Necrons.

Order versus Chaos. That was always the central conflict of the Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 mythology (lifted straight from Michael Moorcock, with a bit of Lovecraft and Orwell added of course). Chaos ascendant meant terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, tentacle-y things. But Order’s primacy meant terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, bureaucratic things.

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruelest and most bloody regime imaginable. These are the tales of those times. Forget the power of technology and science, for so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting gods.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...