40K 9th ed

KennyD76

6 minutes ago, Yarbicus said:

I have been reading that non-Primaris marines are going away. Makes me sad.

I decided not to fight it... My old marines will be the "house army" for friends to borrow, or whatever. I'll keep them, but that force is done growing. I'm taking a power armor breather, and doing a wraith host, then I'll get back to my loyalists with a fresh new chapter. I have a ton of lessons learned from playing marines for over a decade. I'll do it better this time around. 

1 minute ago, Ish said:

People have been saying it was going to happen since Primaris were announced, that doesn’t make it so.

While that's true, there is no reason to believe they'd want to keep 2 parallel lines of space marines going, when one looks silly and dated next to the other.

It would be fair to call it an educated guess.

• Like 2

Oh, I’m under no illusions that they’ll continue to manufacture the older models once the molds wear out and they become too costly to continue production of them... But that’s just a standard part of the miniature business.

There’s a difference between “removed from the shelf” and “removed from the game.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ish said:

There’s a difference between “removed from the shelf” and “removed from the game.”

As Andy hints above, that distinction is becoming narrower. GW has, in fact, been moving towards a "If we don't sell it, you can't use it (officially)" business model for a few years.

It's why Dark Eldar have fewer units now than they did in 5th. It began with getting rid of all the special characters they added but never made models for. This edition, they got rid of Trueborn and Bloodbrides (the elite versions of kabalite warriors and wyches) since they never made official models for those squads (though, for some reason, IG are still allowed to use conscripts, silly GW)

At any rate, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see no mention of tactical marines in the 9th ed space marines codex. Maybe they'll handle them with a legends approach, as they have with things they want to phase out this edition.

All that said, if someone had a space marine army, I'd have no problem proxying as primaris. It's not their fault the model line is getting replaced.

• Like 1

I’ve said since the Primaris Marines debuted that I felt GW mishandled their release. In my opinion, they should have simply introduced the new sculpts and said out with the old sculpts... But kept the classic squad structure. Basically, instead of Intercessor Squads, just made Tactical Squads out of Primaris models. (Along with rules changes like better boltguns and two Wounds.)

Then put out a magazine article, a blog post, and a YouTube video that basically said “Look, we haven’t had a fundamental redesign of the Space Marines since we phased out the Beakies in 1992. They had a good run, but it’s been thirty years. The new models are bigger, better looking, and we hope you like them.”

But that’s not what they did. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Ish said:

I’ve said since the Primaris Marines debuted that I felt GW mishandled their release. In my opinion, they should have simply the new sculpts and said out with the old sculpts... But kept the classic squad structure. Basically, instead of Intercessor Squads, just made Tactical Squads out of Primaris models.

Then put out a magazine article, a blog post, and a YouTube video that basically said “Look, we haven’t had a fundamental redesign of the Space Marines since we phased out the Beakies in 1992. They had a good run, but it’s been thirty years. The new models are bigger, better looking, and we hope you like them.”

But that’s not what they did. 

Totally agree, why they didn't go this route I'll never know. The realist in me says they didn't want to have to put out the kits with all the same options that the normal Tac squad gets, or to put them all out at once (might look odd if you released Primaris-sized Tac Marine but had normal sized Assault / Devestator / etc Marines?). The cynic in me says they had to make them different enough that people wouldn't say "I already have enough regular Marines, I don't need to buy these true-scale ones."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Andrewgeddon said:

Totally agree, why they didn't go this route I'll never know. The realist in me says they didn't want to have to put out the kits with all the same options that the normal Tac squad gets, or to put them all out at once (might look odd if you released Primaris-sized Tac Marine but had normal sized Assault / Devestator / etc Marines?). The cynic in me says they had to make them different enough that people wouldn't say "I already have enough regular Marines, I don't need to buy these true-scale ones."

This is what I figured... As long as my Marine models have a ruleset I'll use it... Once it is only primaris structure I'll cobble squads together that way. Old Marines are everywhere so if the full replacement happens I'll just stock up on weapons and old bodies...

This is kind of what happened to me with the third edition orks. The sculpts were so different I had to decide to either keep the old stuff and buy all I could to keep playing or sell my old stuff to those that were gonna cling to it. I got over fair market value back then in chaos marine models and the rest is history. I was too young and barely had 2k in 2nd Ed points to invest in keeping what would become a retro look. This time around loading up on retro will save me painting time!

• Like 1

I think they might have decided to push the Primaris Marines into new squad types in order to make them even easier to play. People have quite rightly compared them to Eldar Aspect Warriors in how specialized they are: these are your anti-infantry dudes, these are your anti-vehicle dudes, these are your long-range dudes... and since everyone in the squad has to have an identical load-out, it’s hard to “screw up” with them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ish said:

Everyone knows that the Ultramarines are the greatest musicians in the 41st Millennium!

Shoulda used Careless Whisper

31 minutes ago, Ish said:

I think they might have decided to push the Primaris Marines into new squad types in order to make them even easier to play. People have quite rightly compared them to Eldar Aspect Warriors in how specialized they are: these are your anti-infantry dudes, these are your anti-vehicle dudes, these are your long-range dudes... and since everyone in the squad has to have an identical load-out, it’s hard to “screw up” with them.

I suspect there were a number of reasons. This is absolutely valid. It also simplifies game development, since there are fewer options that need to be examined/tested for broken combos. Further, it lines up with the Squad structure FW use for 30K, which probably has some potential benefits.

p2E4KkS9c5aOm6Xq.jpg

I was a little surprised at having 5 characters on the marine side; captain, chaplain, lieutenant, judiciar, and ancient. I was also hoping for the guns on the bikers to be assault bolters rather than regular rapid fire guns. I like the blade guards. I am hoping the squad can get bigger. 3 is a waste in a vehicle, and being left to chase things around on foot isn't ideal for an expensive unit, imo. 
I wonder about the value of the a chainsword and heavy bolt pistol versus a 3 shot auto bolt. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ish said:

They literally subtitled a huge section of the article “The Danger Zone,” made another reference to the song in the article’s text, and they quoted Maverick in the caption for one picture.

I mean... Did you need to see Roboute Guilliman playing guitar for a Kenny Logins cover?

That's funny, Archer immediately came to mind.

16 minutes ago, MexicanNinja said:

I want it!!!

The thing that bugs me about the Primaris Tarantula, or whatever they’re going to call that weapons platform, is that it doesn’t appear capable of elevating or depressing the guns...

• Like 1