Salamanders Dread list, as Grot-Bots

PourSpelur

Looking like at 2k I can bring a Salamanders Spearhead with:

Brayarth Ashmantle

3x Contemptor Mortis

3x Relic Leviathan

Now tinkering time.

I can run the Mortis' as double twin lascannons, two with Cyclones. Leviathans as double storm thingy array.

Pretty straightforward...or I can start tinkering. Really leaning into running all the Mortis the same and all the Leviathans the same as well. Will be all scratch built and/or kitbashed with non-GW stuff so I need the homogenized loadouts to make em easy to distinguish. But I'm also thinking it gives me no real melee. Maybe drop one storm array per Leviathan and go with the siege drill? Adds a melta and a couple hard hitting punches, loses 10 str7 shots, looks pretty cool though. Storm claw hits a little less hard, still has the melta, re-rolls wounds on infantry (but it's str8 so wounding infantry shouldn't be too hard)

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

Think it's better to run the Leviathans with double Storm canons or single storm and siege drill? Either way will look good modelwise so that's a wash. Double cannon gives some anti infantry shooting but zero melee capability in the list. Anti tank is covered by the double, twin lascannons and cyclone Mortis'.

How's this look?

Brayarth

3x double twin lascannons Mortis with Cyclone

3x Leviathan with Storm cannon, siege drill and Hunter Killer

Plenty of ranged AT, tiny bit of AA shooting and melee.

3 Mortis sit in back and plink away, Brayarth and Leviathans slowly push up the board.

Could also drop the Cyclones and Hunter Killers, pick up 5 sniper scouts. Doesn't really add much, just something for my opponents AA fire to shoot at. That said, I don't think I'm loosing much either.

++ Spearhead Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Salamanders) [95 PL, 2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**
. Salamanders

+ HQ +

Bray'arth Ashmantle [20 PL, 330pts]: Warlord

+ Heavy Support +

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 210pts]: Cyclone missile launcher
. Two twin lascannons: 2x Twin lascannon

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 345pts]: 2x Heavy flamer, Hunter-killer missile, Storm cannon array
. Leviathan siege drill: Meltagun

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 345pts]: 2x Heavy flamer, Hunter-killer missile, Storm cannon array

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 350pts]: 2x Heavy flamer, 2x Hunter-killer missile, Storm cannon array

++ Total: [95 PL, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

2 minutes ago, Mulgrok said:

Could always squeeze in a techmarine.  A little healing never hurts.

The relic bolter is kinda awesome on a tech Marine keeps him cheap but doing something. Full servo harness gives you a plasma shot to use artisan rerolls on. I'd heartily approve of a tech Marine addition especially as it could be a tiny diorama of grots fighting over the guns!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VonVilkee said:

I've always found double shooting dreads to have huge weak spots as a result. I've always wanted a crushing combat attack. You pay a fair chunk of points for those attacks might as well make them mean something.

Also, smashing things in close combat with giant stompy robots is fun. So is blasting things with their guns, but it's best when you get to do both!

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 12:32 PM, WestRider said:

Also, smashing things in close combat with giant stompy robots is fun. So is blasting things with their guns, but it's best when you get to do both!

I've fallen in love with Talos in 9th edition for the same reasons. Except they're not stompy, they're....hover-menacingly-just-above-the-ground-y.

But still smashy and blasty.

• Like 2

On topic, I can only offer the adversary's perspective.

The only dreadnought of olde that scared me was the double autocannon/missile launcher variant. It had the right mix of volume and quality of fire that it seemed efficient at knocking my paper airplanes out of the sky. 

Every other shooty build was too low impact, either leaning into volume or quality of fire, but never both. Being slow, of medium defense, and inconsistent offense, I mentally put them into the "to be dealt with when an opportunity presents itself" column (not where you wanna be on my priority list).

In previous editions, melee dreads were easily contained with their 2 attacks. Wyches have 4+ invuls so can tarpit dreads all day. When dreads got 4 attacks base, I did a double attacks double-take. All of a sudden, the dreadnought took off its glasses and let its hair down, shaking cascading, smashy locks about it's broad shoulders. 

Weird, dreadnaughty fantasies aside, all this is to say, the mixed role dread will probably serve you best in a list this size. You don’t have numbers to legitimately fill out a take-all-comers list, so flexibility is a must.

My $0.0201

• Like 1

Dibs on being Macho Man!

Oooohhh yeaaahhhhHHH!

Just realized I'm not really doubling down on Salamanders rules. Any ideas on switching the double twin-lascannons on the Mortis' to double multi-meltas?

Cons:

1) Shorter range

Pros:

1) Makin people do that cool dance they do when you set em on fire.

2) I'm bad at this game and I'll probably be walking these beasts up the board anyways.

• Like 1

Ooooh, tinkering....

++ Spearhead Detachment -3CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Salamanders) [107 PL, 1,998pts] ++

+ Configuration +

**Chapter Selection**
. Salamanders

+ HQ +

Bray'arth Ashmantle [20 PL, 330pts]: Warlord

Techmarine [5 PL, 50pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword, Dragonrage Bolts
. Servo-harness: Flamer, Plasma cutter

+ Elites +

Ironclad Dreadnought [7 PL, 113pts]: Meltagun, Seismic hammer
. Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: Cyclone missile launcher
. Two multi-meltas: 2x Multi-melta

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 180pts]: Cyclone missile launcher

Contemptor Mortis Dreadnought [9 PL, 155pts]

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 330pts]: 2x Heavy flamer, Storm cannon array
. Leviathan siege claw: Meltagun

Relic Leviathan Dreadnought [16 PL, 330pts]: 2x Heavy flamer, Storm cannon array

++ Total: [107 PL, 1,998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

That will be an extremely unpleasant army to be within 12” of...

I’m also thinking that as a fun future project, for expanding this into really big games over 2,000 Points, a bunch of goblinized Dreadnought Drop Pods would be hilarious.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ish said:

That will be an extremely unpleasant army to be within 12” of...

I’m also thinking that as a fun future project, for expanding this into really big games over 2,000 Points, a bunch of goblinized Dreadnought Drop Pods would be hilarious.

I am wondering why Orks would use drop pods.  Pods would get in the way of punching stuff as they are thrown at the ground.

44 minutes ago, PourSpelur said:

Wtf? No dedicated transports in a spearhead?

Sad day;(

Ah! But a unit doesn’t actually have to be in the same Detachment as a Transport in order to board it. So you can add a minimal-sized Patrol of Primork Interzzerz and call it good.

7 hours ago, Mulgrok said:

I am wondering why Orks would use drop pods.  Pods would get in the way of punching stuff as they are thrown at the ground.

Wad are ya, stoopid!? Youse kan’t krump dem gits down there, if’n youse is up ‘ere! Now get in dat tin kan an’ get down on wiff it! 

16 hours ago, Mulgrok said:

The obvious solution is to just cut arm sized holes in the side of the drop pod, so orks can punch anything and everything that passes as their drop pod is hurtling towards a planet.

• Like 2