Old School Essentials Kickstarter

Aaron W

BECMI and the Rules Cyclopedia are almost 99.999% the same dang thing, the main difference is in clarity and layout. Rules Cyclopedia has the advantage of being a complete version of D&D in one book, with some small changes (certain monsters were altered, or left out, for instance) and the addition of a skill system that wasn't in any of the BECMI books but was instead introduced in one of the Mystara / Hollow Earth supplements. 

Plenty of people, back in the day, ran campaigns where some of the players had the Rules Cyclopedia and others had some combination of the Rules BECMI books, since the BECMI stuff was all released years earlier and then the Rules Cyclopedia compiled it all into one single book. So when old school grognards decide to jump back to the older games, I just don't grok why they decide to go to BECMI... 

Although, I will admit, that Basic Rules Set 1, the iconic "red box," has one of the greatest cover designs of all time. Right up there with the mayday call from Free Trader Beowulf, the original Dark Sun box cover, the first edition Vampire the Masquerade cover, and the Birthright campaign boxed set. The artwork (or in Traveller's case, I guess the LACK of artwork) just grabbed me the first time I saw it and said "You need to experience this." Just so damn evocative of the mood, feel, and tone of the game they were designed for.

• Like 1

I'm sure part of my Moldvay preference is nostalgia - it's the edition I started with when I got it for Christmas one year, and it's always been my fave. 

It also feels like the last kinda "gonzo" D&D to me - the following Mentzer edition and then Rules Cyclopedia felt more codified, sanitized, and hewing more toward a firmer European medieval vibe. I like the looser, weirder Moldvay.

I really like Moldvay art better, too - gimme Otus and Willingham any day over Easley and Elmore any day!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andozane said:

You guys need to delve into Dungeon World and Freebooters on the Frontier

Personally, the game that has me most interested in playing and/or running would be Robert E. Howard’s Conan: Adventures In An Age Undreamed Of from Modiphius. Old school sword-and-sorcery sensibilities (it doesn’t get much more old school than Conan), an incredibly rich and fleshed our world (but one with plenty of “blank space” on the map to carve out your own stories), and a modern game system (I love OSR D&D for the flavor, not the crunch).

Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to find anyone else interested.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ish said:

Unfortunately, I’ve never been able to find anyone else interested.

Um, I am super interested in Conan! I have the book in hard copy and a few supplements in pdf - I would VERY much love to run or play Conan. That system seems great, especially the doom/momentum mechanic, and I love sword and sorcery. Maybe we try to drum up a game when the world gets more normal again, yeah?

• Thanks 1