Odd request: do you have a jack hammer?

scotthartman

2 hours ago, PourSpelur said:

Don't have one, sorry.

How big of rocks are we talking about? Ever used a jackhammer or a demo hammer? I ask because a jackhammer is a hell of a lot of a tool, demo hammer is my go-to for 95% of jobs. Much easier to use.

Trying to make boulders small enough to remove by hand/wheelbarrow?

I haven't ever used one. Basically what I'm trying to do is break apart parts of boulders. In my basement we have boulders that are mostly submerged in concrete but the tops of them rise above the level concrete floor. So I'm hoping to break off those raised sections and then level out the floor for a better and safer work area. 

I've been looking at what is available and an actual jack hammer like they might have at a construction site is probably out of the question. These smaller ones that are for breaking up concrete is likely what I'll end up with. 

A rotor hammer would likely do what you’re after.

I think Home Depot may have a tool rental department that could help you out.

I would recommend a drill bit (3/4”) to first drill lines into the stone.  Then a sledge to shatter them off the top.

Cleanup and fine work with a chisel bit.  

Be sure to use a respirator or well fitted 3m fiber mask.  The silica generated by breaking concrete or stone is bad for your lungs.

Good luck 🙂

C31C7AD6-399E-4548-8A1F-394D29E6580C.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dalmer said:

(don't know if this is even an option, depending upon how far up the protruding stones are but have you thought about just raising the floor height to cover the rocks?)

get like self-level and just deal with it that 

Unfortunately I can't do that because they rise too high. On the plus side I found a large demo hammer at a garage sale and it seems to be working. It may take a while but thats ok with me.

Cheers

• Like 3