R.I.P. Notorious RBG

PumpkinHead

That giant “ffffrrrrppppttt” sound your hearing right now is every campaign manager for every single House, Senate, Governorship, and Presidential campaign simultaneously ripping up their message calendars and talking point memos that they had planned for the last month of the campaign.

Between now and 3 November 2020 there is only one issue: who will get to appoint Justice Ginsburg’s replacement.

(I’m going to recuse myself from any further discussion of the upcoming election on this forum.)

• Sad 2

image.jpeg.9e505b99370c1842b304541d31fa1e60.jpeg

Justices Ginsburg and Scalia were philosophical rivals and extremely close friends. This is the two of them, as extras, in a production at the Washington National Opera.

Our republic would be so much stronger if everyone could be a little more like “Nino” and “Ruth.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“[Justice Ginsburg] could fight with the best of them—but I never heard or saw or even intimated anything other than respect and even, often, affection for her adversaries in these battles. No snide remarks, no nasty innuendoes, none of that. She valued civility and collegiality very, very highly, and I think she helped to dignify the process of judging, and helped make those she was working with better as a result.” –David Post, Reason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1