Cyberpunk Red finally has a street date.

Duckman

Many probably know that Cyberpunk 2077 is coming and CD Projekt Red has announced it is gold and they will be meeting their November release date.  What you may not know is that R Talsorian games is releasing Cyberpunk Red at the same time which updates their rules from the Cyberpunk 2020 edition (published back in 1990).  There has been a starter kit for CP Red for a year or so and they had expected to release the core rulebook earlier this year but like all things it slid...  It has also "gone gold" in the sense that it is at the printer now and they expect to deliver hard-copy in about 4 weeks as well.

• Like 1

I owned the Cyberpunk 2020 rulebook back in the day, but never got to play due to everyone else I games with preferring Shadowrun. I did get them to try Mekton Zeta a couple times and we all really liked the mechanics of that system which were related to the same core mechanics of Cyberpunk.

I’m looking forward to this one.

I was looking for Shadownrun but they made such a has of 6th edition that my gaming group walked away from it.  I like the setting but at this point I am waiting for Topps to take the license away and give it to someone who cares about it more than their bathroom (see history of embezzlement at Catalyst).

The lore for Cyberpunk is different but parts of it are really fun (mostly the corporate stuff).  Their idea of cyberspace is ancient (written in 1990 so it was all around phone exchanges and spoofing) but it sounds like that is being updated with an almost complete overhaul.

I'm not sure how I like the degree of lethality in the system but I am looking forward to something that should at least be well edited and internally self-consistent.

The Fuzion/Interlock system was always really easy to adjust by degrees so you could run their games as anything from gritty noir pulps where one back alley thug with a broken beer bottle shiv was a potentially lethal threat all the way to the other end of the spectrum for Hong Kong heroic bloodshed gun-fu ballets where the heroes could wade through armies of mooks...

Obviously, I haven’t read the new rules yet, but I get the impression that they are aiming for a happy medium between those two ends.