Chaos knights list help

Skkipper

Mono-Knight lists have two big hurdles in Ninth Edition: 

• Missions are primarily won by holding Objectives, which Knights struggle with simply due to lack of bodies. 
• Secondary Objectives are selected after players have seen their opponent’s army list, so everyone is going to opt for Titan Killers against you.

Both of these difficulties can be overcome, they’re the weaknesses of the army that you’ll want need to make plans for mitigating.

But, most importantly, the army should be fun to play. Giant stompy robots are cool.

If you want to stick with mono-knights, squeezing a pair of Armigers into the list might help. They're not as tough to crack as the bigger Knights, but they're still tough and they pack enough firepower (either shooty or choppy) that they can't be ignored either. That pulls some early game anti-tank threats off the big guys.

Of course, there's also the option of adding a small allied Patrol. A small squad of basic Chaos Space Marines in a Rhino led by a cheap HQ isn't exactly "sexy," but you can leave them in Strategic Reserves until Turn Two or Three, then rush them onto an Objective your Knights have cleared. Then they just need to hold on for a couple turns.

Past OFCC events have followed the Independent Tournament Circuit ("ITC") rules for WH40k, which seem to have been more or less adopted wholesale by GW with the 
Chapter Approved: Grand Tournament 2020 Mission Pack. 

You have to have a Battle-Forged army, which means an army where all units are organised in Detachments.; and in Strike Force sized games (1,001-2,000 Points) you can have up to three Detachments. Also, in a Battle-forged army, all of the units must have at least one Faction keyword in common (e.g. IMPERIUM or CHAOS) even if they are in different Detachments.

So if one Detachment is made up of giant stompy murder robot units from Codex: Chaos Knights and a second Detachment is made of red-shirt cannon fodder from Codex: Chaos Space Marines it should be totally kosher in the OFCC. 

(Obviously, you should double check with the actual OFCC organizers when (if?) the governor ever decides to let us out of our houses again and OFCC is re-scheduled.)

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 4:58 PM, Ish said:

Stuff

Claiming to be ITC friendly, and allowing a 3 knight list that has a mini-titan are two very different things. As skkipper said, not necessarily fun for an OFCC style event; which implies that there are things that are acceptable or unacceptable, by nature(looked down upon) or design(BANNED List).

^_^

23 minutes ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

Claiming to be ITC friendly, and allowing a 3 knight list that has a mini-titan are two very different things. As skkipper said, not necessarily fun for an OFCC style event; which implies that there are things that are acceptable or unacceptable, by nature(looked down upon) or design(BANNED List).

"Ban Lists" and "Comp" are anathema to me. I have never understood why they are considered beneficial by the competitive community... No, scratch that: I have never understood why they are considered acceptable by the community. At the most basic level, a tournament a contest between competitors to figure out which among them is the best at a given game, sport, or other activity. Right? A 100 meter dash figure out who can run 100 meters the fastest; a pie-eating contest measures who can eat the most pie; a competitive ballroom dancing event finds the best ballroom dancers... and so on and so forth.

Warhammer 40,000 tournament should be about finding the best Warhammer 40,000 player. Period. End of line. Fin. Do not pass "Go," do not collect $200. 

An army that consists of Chaos Knight Super-Heavy Detachment containing an Acastus Knight Porphyrion and a pair of Knight Despoilers is a perfectly kosher Battle-forged army under the Warhammer 40,000 rules as published. If you want to be the very best (like no one ever was) than you need to have a plan to win a game against it. 

• Like 1

I don’t actually think an an Acastus Knight Porphyrion and a pair of Knight Despoilers army list would actually “kick face” all that well.

The Porphyrion is approximate 900 Points, the other Knights are in the 400-500 Points range... Yeah, the Porphyrion can pretty much single handedly delete a tank or two per turn, but when most enemy tanks cost a third to a fifth of the cost it’s just not that efficient. The Porphyrion also struggles to do much to big infantry blocs... 

The list can compete, but whenever you push an army list into one extreme niche or another (All Infantry Green Tide! All Aircraft Flying Circus! Super Shooty Artillery Gunline!) you’re opening up yourself to an obvious counter-play.

I maintain that if the army list is legal under the Matched Play rules, it should be welcomed in any Matched Play environment, be it a hardcore tournament, a friendly weekend event, or just a casual pickup game.

Its the attitude and sportsmanship of the player that matters to me, not the list. Give Mister Rogers the most tightly min-maxed “cheesy” list you can think of and he’ll be a pleasure to play against; Create an easygoing, balanced, and “fluffy” list and give it to That Guy and the game will be terrible.

4 hours ago, Ish said:

"Ban Lists" and "Comp" are anathema to me. I have never understood why they are considered beneficial by the competitive community... No, scratch that: I have never understood why they are considered acceptable by the community. At the most basic level, a tournament a contest between competitors to figure out which among them is the best at a given game, sport, or other activity.

+snip+

All good points. I think we're not meeting eye-to-eye on two, important facts.

OFCC isn't a tournament.

OFCC isn't for the competitive community.

It's a gaming event. A gathering for those who want something besides a tournament for the competitive community. It's for guys and girls like me. A place to bring an un-optomised list that you've always wanted to play but doesn't have the "punch" for a tournament.

Last thing I want is for you to feel like I jumped on ya, I'll happily buy you a beer and regale you with all the things I love about OFCC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2