Contrast and Chill - Episode 5

jollyork

Contrast_and_Chill_1024.png

The Black Gobbo

The Black Gobbo is a Star Player in Blood Bowl. A devious fellow, he sneaks a variety of secret weapons onto the pitch to give opposing players a bad day. Bombs, knives, and in Season 2, a special ability to encourage additional poor sportsmanship (aka, fouls) from teammates. 

image.png

image.png

This guy is the pinnacle of Contrast and Chill (at least so far): short time, great results. Not counting prep time, as in getting the model cleaned up and primed, it took 47 minutes to paint him from start to finish. Granted, he's almost all black given his hooded robe and shoes, but hey, he is The Black Gobbo. Since the black and grey drybrush took only minutes, I splurged on some OSL (Object Source Lighting) from the burning fuse of his bomb. As usual, my photos aren't great, but it looks pretty darn good in person. OSL works well on dark colors, and his pose helps the black gloves and hood provide enough distance and interesting folds to make the various reds, oranges, and yellows each stand out. I had enough time (haha) to also add a bit of green tint to his dagger, freshly poisoned for quickly dispatching victims with the slightest prick so as not to catch the wary eyes of the referees! 

Restating the obvious, I used a bunch of drybrushing on this model. The Contrast bitz were Black Templar, Ork Flesh, and Flesh Tearers Red, plus the steel (and metals are honorary Contrast colors) with a Basilicanum Grey wash. I drybrushed Mechanicus Standard Grey and Dawnstone for highlights on the black. For the fuse flames, I used Iyanden Yellow, Gryph-Hound Orange, and Blood Angels Red, then drybrushed Layer paints Mephiston Red, Troll Slayer Orange, and Flash Gitz Yellow for the OSL. 

Easy as pie! So, can you beat that time? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1