Getting up to date in 40k and my Necrons

Dark Trainer

With Covid and all, i haven't taken any time to get caught up with 40k. In fact, I skipped Indomitus and all that (local shop has Indomitus, but have most of those models just not the new ones). Mainly just looking to get caught up with essentials. Below are the things I think I need.

• Latest rules? Link to the current rulebook? Is there one, or is it all index crap again?
  • There's a new Codex for Necrons or is it Indexes too?
  • Any must haves of the new models, or just 'meh' so far? Not a huge fan of the new design, but wondering about power and high end models of the new kits.
  • Any other insight?

Basically I already own a ton of Necrons, they've been my core army since 4th ed. Just looking to get my feet under me again and support my local game store with an order.

• Like 3

• Here's a link to the Core Rules: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Lw4o3USx1R8sU7cQ.pdf. I don't think it's been updated with the errata. There's also a denser rulebook available now, with Detachments, missions, and whatnot.
  • Yes. Necrons got a brand new Codex (so far, they're the only non-marine faction to have one).
  • Apparently, the Silent King kicks all kinds of butt. And the model looks bad assed, like some Sci-Fi metal album cover stuff.
  • I've only played one game of 9th. Before that, and excepting some fiddling around at the end of 8th edition, I've been out of it since 4th edition (kind of opposite of you, apparently, Covid got me back into it because painting models has kept me from going insane during social distancing). So, you might want to take what I have to say with a grain of salt. But, I think Necrons are in a good place. They have decent melee options now--Skorpekh Destroyers look great too--and the new resurrection rules seem great for 1W units like Warriors. They got one of the holiday season boxed sets. It looks really nice and sold out on GW's website within minutes. But, you might be able to get one retail. Otherwise, I'd check out the new melee models, since my understanding is that they weren't part of the Necrons' arsenal until 9th edition.
  • Thanks 2

Necrons are in a very good place right now.  They finally have units that can compete in every aspect of the game (shooting, mêlée, anti-infantry, anti-tank, etc) and aren’t the hyper-specialized anti-armor shooting focused army they were once upon a time.  They still lean heavily on their niche of waves of implacable Warriors backed by supporting units, but they feel more “well rounded.”

Games Workshop has made the basic core rules available for free. No terrain setups, no missions, no force organization charts, etc. but it’s still most everything you need in a handy PDF you can keep on your phone. You can also buy the Big Black Book for $65 and get all the rules and several hundred pages of setting material, but a more economical option is the Grand Tournament 2020 booklet for $40 – a full rulebook (sans fluff) in a much easier to transport spiral-bound mini-book. You’ll also need Codex: Necrons and maybe the Imperial Armour Compendium if you have any FW models.

Or use Wahapedia. I won’t judge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the info so far. Sounds like I can get the rule book free to start at least browsing. And then as far as rules for my army just grab the New codex and I should be good. I don't have any forge world so I don't know that I need the indexes. Unless any other old models are only in the index?

I'm going to place an order for the codex at least.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

They are not up to date so be warry of them. 

Wahapedia isn’t always up to date, but it doesn’t usually much more than a month or so behind... and oftentimes faster. Obviously, the old “caveat emptor” applies when using unofficial sources.

But, for most common purposes, it’s fine.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:14 PM, Ish said:

Wahapedia isn’t always up to date, but it doesn’t usually much more than a month or so behind... and oftentimes faster. Obviously, the old “caveat emptor” applies when using unofficial sources.

But, for most common purposes, it’s fine.

I will have to check their space marine section as the last time I checked a month or so back it was still out of date.