Contrast and Chill - s2e1

jollyork

Contrast_and_Chill_1024.png

One Chart to Rule Them All

Contrast paints are a revolution in the hobby world, and like any technology pioneer, they pave the way for other companies to make similar products. One of the first to market is the Instant Colors range from Scale75, who ran a Kickstarter campaign in 2020 to fund the production. Being a huge fan of Contrast, I jumped into this Kickstarter as soon as I could. After a long year of waiting, they finally arrived! 

Of course I was eager to start painting models with them, but I had the immediate dilemma of figuring out how these colors integrated with the Contrast range. I obviously wanted more colors and more selection, but I needed to know which ones were similar to the Contrast colors and which were all new options. Combine that with a whole new naming system for this range, and the challenge of knowing what the final result of a color will be compared to its "bottle color," and the answer was obvious: a paint chart! (note: this was only obvious because some genius made a Contrast paint chart when they came out). 

One challenge with putting together a paint chart, especially with ranges from more than one company, was figuring out how each exotically-named paint actually looks when it's dry. Since "grey" sometimes turns out blue or purple or green, not to mention a shade of light black, I determined it would be far more useful to group the final results by their visual appearance and disregard the names entirely. So I present to you the official Contrast and Chill "One Chart to Rule Them All" combining these ranges and being flexible to add future colors and companies. My hope is these color groupings look correct to you as well, so if you have suggestions for changes, please post them!

There are three versions embedded below. 1) the colors, 2) the colors with labels, and since that might be hard to read for some people, 3) a black & white version with the labels. Note that these source images are huge for good visual reference if you zoom in on them. 

Legend:
32mm bases are Citadel Contrast
25mm bases are Scale75 Instant Colors
All bases primed with Citadel Grey Seer

Contrast-Instant-Chart.png

Contrast-Instant-Chart-Labels.png

Contrast-Instant-Chart-Labels-BW.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5