Randomarium Thread

InfestedKerrigan

Anybody have tanks/ponds/window planters/cardboard boxes with nano fish/invertebrates/reptiles/etal goin? Share your aquariums, vivariums, terrariums, and shoe boxes.

Can't share pics at the moment, but I have:

55 long with comet goldfish

180 with Otocinclus, 4 Black Moors, 1 Koi, 5 Tiger Oscar, 3 clown pleco, 2 - 4 common pleco (haven't seen them in a while)

~50 tall Otocinclus, Guppies, ghost shrimp

~55 tall had the comets until last night; Seeded it with snails from the guppie tank; not sure re: future plans beyond that, yet.  Shrimp and plant propagation? 

As a result of my delving into this abyss, I have come to learn that I love catfish. Most of the species I want most are all catfish.  Admittedly, most of those are L series plecos, but regardless.  

I'm about a year in.

• Like 2

I'm all fresh water, currently.  I'd enjoy Puffers and Mudskippers in a brackish, or Sea Horses and dragons in a salt; I'm just not ready for that, mostly because I love bioactive setups that behave as closed loop ecosystems, and I don't know how to do that in salt...yet.  Plus, with as fragile as those species can be, it isn't good husbandry to muck around with them in such a fashion, so I wait.

Poison Dart terrariums can be very pretty. You could, should you want to, do a taller tank/reptile terrarium(swinging front) and do like 4 inches of water, and everything else be out of water, and get some nano or dwarf fish in the bottom, and the frogs able to do as they please. Water will help humidity, and there are tons of teeny fish from the Amazonian basin, allowing you to do a South American themed tank.

• Like 2

50gal tanks are pretty easy to maintain, as a general thing. If you go salt, it is probably better to start with a 50+, because the larger the tank, the more forgiving it is. It takes longer for the water to become polluted (nitrogen, ammonia build up).  Also, possibly more so than fresh water species, saline fish pretty much like either extreme currents, or no current.  So, do diligence is required on the fish you'd like to keep. Which is true regardless, it is just another thing on the checklist. 

I've heard from friends that have kept them, that they are easier to keep than realized. Akin to riding a bike, most of it is mental fear running wild.

• Like 1

I've had many aquariums over the years, fresh and salt. Love them all. Loved planning them. Loved getting them set up and cycled. Loved adding to them and watching them grow. And loved tearing them down and reclaiming my freedom. I'm aquariumless right now, but doubt that'll last forever. 

Salt is a major commitment, reef tanks in particular. They're not as *hard* as people say, but they are expensive and absolutely require consistency and attention to detail. There's no skipping maintenance day if you want a healthy tank. And god forbid you have a heatwave you aren't ready for, or <gasp> a power outage. A bad turn and two days later you've got a tank full of spoiled clam chowder.

I'd suggest going smaller, and seeing how it feels. There's lots of good quality nano-tanks and related gear out there, and things like weekly water changes are a lot easier to deal with when you're just making and swapping a gallon or two of seawater... 10+ gallons is a half-day's job.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We like the look of salt water, but I doubt we will go down that road right away.  The kids are torn on what they want, fish or frogs, so we continue going in circles. We have a nice large space for the aquarium that has viewing from all 4 sides. So we have been planning how to hide the equipment.  

@InfestedKerrigan I love the idea of having fish at the bottom of the tank for the frogs. I will look into that.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PumpkinHead said:

We like the look of salt water, but I doubt we will go down that road right away.  The kids are torn on what they want, fish or frogs, so we continue going in circles. We have a nice large space for the aquarium that has viewing from all 4 sides. So we have been planning how to hide the equipment.  

@InfestedKerrigan I love the idea of having fish at the bottom of the tank for the frogs. I will look into that.

I had fully aquatic frogs (African dwarf, I think) in a tank with tetras and snails.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I have aquariums! They don't have fish in them, though. Or water. Or... really anything to do with this thread, because reptiles live in them. But I wanted to feel included, so I'm piping up to derail the thread.

AWAY! *whoosh*

You derailed nothing, I got ahead of myself, as I had intended on including terrariums, etc.  *flourish*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought my last tetra, affectionately named "Last Fish" because this mother[big bad swear word]er is unkillable, had died. He had outlasted everything else in the tank by 2 years.

I was planning on cleaning the tank out, installing a mix of fake and low maintenance plants and putting painted models of aquatic things warring. 

Such a nerd.

Then after about a week, Last Fish popped up and was like "food now?"

I swear he's immortal. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 1:37 PM, Sgt. Rock said:

I have aquariums! They don't have fish in them, though. Or water. Or... really anything to do with this thread, because reptiles live in them. But I wanted to feel included, so I'm piping up to derail the thread.

AWAY! *whoosh*

What reptiles? Skink, chameleon, bearded dragon, snakes?

@Romans832 will probably have lots to chime in about reptiles.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, InfestedKerrigan said:

In how many enclosures? 😄

Each in their own. We had a couple of the viper geckos together at one point, but they started getting sassy with each other, so we had to separate them.

Most reptiles don't live well with each other, so they tend to all get their own little apartments.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

Each in their own. We had a couple of the viper geckos together at one point, but they started getting sassy with each other, so we had to separate them.

Most reptiles don't live well with each other, so they tend to all get their own little apartments.

Having only had snakes, they all lived together in a 20, then 80 long. Oregon Gopher snakes, Cali King, and a Corn.  Feeder fish in the water bowl for the 3 gophers, and mice/rats for the other two.  The Tiger Oscars and Carp are more aggressive than I ever, nope.  There was that time the second smallest tried to eat the smallest. Had pull the ones full head plus some out of the other.  -_- I was 12?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2021 at 8:44 AM, PumpkinHead said:

Remember fish and frogs are not handle-able.

• Like 1