Raindog's Roots

OFCC to do list.

Spell Weaver, need to paint

BSB, Elven Steed, Need to make. I have no idea what to do for this.

Way Stalker, Bow of Loren- need to paint

7 Glade Guard w/ Musician and Trueflight Arrows - need to paint.

3 are painted, but need to be flocked.

5 Wild Riders Standard Bearer - need to fix one

8 Sisters of Thorn, Musician and Standard Bearer, Liche Bone Penant- Need to Make and Paint

6 Waywatchers -need to make and paint

Deepwood Unicorn. - need to make and paint.

I played Gonzo's Malekith list tonight. It was a toe to toe brawl and one of the best games I have been involved with for 8th Edition. 

Malekith final went down on a boosted Soul Quench on the bottom of Turn 5. 

Gonzo had the Cauldron and a wounded BSB Hag riding it, four Dark Riders and a RBT.

I had an eagle, 2 out 3 Treekin, the Treeman, 6 Way Watchers, 2 Wild Riders, 7 Sisters of Thorn, the BSB, and the L4. 

Walk between Worlds was the shizz, again. Shield of  Thorns was helpful. The rest of the lore was defended against by Gonzo. 

Waywatchers were okay.

Between True Flight and Hag Bane, the Glade Guard were amazing. 

Great game Raindog!  If only I could roll higher than a 12 with 4 dispel dice and a level 4.  I swear, I failed o dispel almost every spell I tossed dice at.  Still, a great game!

I have respect for trueflight arrows now.  I learned a ton from the game.  Mainly, just rush the units with trueflight.  I will agree though, the waywatchers were okay.  Although, after rethinking about the game.  I did hex 1 unit and shot the other off the table turn 1.  That did help quit a bit.  It's extremley critical to get the first turn and get some shooting out at the wood elves before they open up.  Again, the amount of saves I was forced to make from the trueflight units was just ridiculous.

• Like 2

As Mexican Ninja says he did have some poorly timed dice rolls but those Wood Elves are still dirty good in MSU lists. Those arrows are brutal but your Wild Riders are filthy too.

I still have to see more games to see how things develop but the Forest Spirits just seem too slow for the rest of your list even though the Treeman did keep Malekith ducking and diving.

Both of you put up a bloody as hell fight and that last round of MN's failed dice rolls in both his casting and dispelling sealed the game. Great Battle to watch.

• Like 1

1. Thanks to my family, I stopped painting and started assembling Sisters of Thorn.  The models are precise. Build one at a time or be sorry.

2) Thanks to Colin, I have the new Special WE Lord Character. With a single weapon swap, he is an awesome Waystalker!

3) I played Rudra's drop heavy BoC tonight.

a. Fiery Convo is just wrong. In a 50 Beastman block, it killed 33 in one turn. 

b. In his misdirector army, WE can fight in combat and win. 

c. True flight arrows are money. Really, why take anything else? Sure poison is a tool, but hit on 3+ is so useful.

d. Wild Riders can take down a wounded Gorgon, but then need luck.

e. Shield of Thorns and Curse are great tools. I don't know why people dismiss them. 

f. It seems like my Treeman is an expensive strangle root delivery system.  I don't really want to put him in fights, so he walks around wounding chaff and fast cav. 

g. Playing Rudra is always amazing. He pulls out great tactics that I don't predict. It always makes me smile. I think he is the best BoC general around. He will surprise people with his underpowered book. 

• Like 1

In Rudra's defense.  He failed some potent charges during the first few turns I saw.  That may have had a different impact.  The main mistake I saw was when he went for the single attack to heal wounds. I think he should have just pounded them with 8 attacks.  Sure, he most likely was going to get shot down but he would have gotten the points for the wild riders and cleaned them from the flank of his army.  That fiery convo spell was ridiculous.  It shouldn't have killed that many beastmen.  He also failed nearly every regen save with his trolls against you.  At any rate, that was a fun game to watch.  He does have some bad luck with charge rolls though.

Thanks, RD.   

I went in to our game knowing that I was going to have an uphill battle, you have a lot of tools that are hard for my list to deal with.  Fiery convo was definitely the main disheartening part of the game, having that spell go through even once drops that gor unit from amazing to situational.  My chaff is great, but can't compete against a list that deletes small units with shooting (or by my wonderful ability to fail panic checks!)  

Still, it was a learning experience.  I have to figure out exactly how I can control a shooty, magic damage-heavy list and still be effective.  

Rudra,

I found myself not shooting to kill your power units, but blasting a weaker unit surround by low leadership units, hoping for chain panics. It worked on two occasions. I found it an odd, but effective tactic.

Other than convo, I don't have answers for the Gor unit without Walk Between Worlds.

You troll unit is my favorite, it is brutal and fun.

Looking at the GW website, and noticed almost the entire Wood Elf line is "temporarily out of stock."

Yeah I've been waiting since the release for a box of glade riders and some wardancers.

I'm wanting to run more wardancers. I have been running a unit of 8 as a bit of a bunker for my BSB and something to block my trueflight glade guard and lvl 4. But I think I'd like another unit, or maybe even 2 for the flavor and fun of it. Have you tried them out yet Eric?