My New TY Soviets

Nick!

16 hours ago, phyfor88 said:

Those look great. My soviets have grown vastly due to lockdown, but not much paint has been applied. Happy that I got them assembled. My Americans and Brits have also creeped larger.

Thanks!  I picked up some Americans, too, but holy poop are the turret baskets for the M1's hard to assemble.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, ZEKE said:

Looks like there is a scourge of warsaw going on. I just finished collecting 2x Polish tank formations (19x polish T72 & 19x polish T55am2) each formation with their own arty, recon, and AA.

And with those 40 tanks, you might total 100 points!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 9:14 AM, ZEKE said:

Good clean models!  Nice color shading & highlighting. Good job on blending the decals with the paint job. Liking the blue uniform for the tankers.

Thanks for the compliments!

Heh, the uniforms are actually very dark grey with a hint of blue. 

In a fit of pedantry,  actually converted all of my BMP-1's to BMP-1P (thus the missile launcher).  stats would be the same in TY, but in a lot of other games the AT-3 on the base model is incredibly inaccurate.  The Israelis after the '73 war did a count of leftover wires from launched missiles versus the amount of their tanks that were damaged, and found that the AT-3 had about a .3% hit rate (3 hits out of 1000).

And there's your cold war trivia of the week!

6 minutes ago, Nick! said:

[T]the AT-3 on the base model is incredibly inaccurate.  The Israelis after the '73 war did a count of leftover wires from launched missiles versus the amount of their tanks that were damaged, and found that the AT-3 had about a .3% hit rate (3 hits out of 1000).

Of course, the Yom Kippur War saw the Israelis facing off against the Syrians and Egyptians (along with "expeditionary forces" from damn near every other Arab state [and the Cubans, because reasons]) and not against the Soviets.  The Soviet crews might have been more accurate, given the better training and better maintenance standards... Or at least that was the theory. 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:20 AM, Ish said:

Of course, the Yom Kippur War saw the Israelis facing off against the Syrians and Egyptians (along with "expeditionary forces" from damn near every other Arab state [and the Cubans, because reasons]) and not against the Soviets.  The Soviet crews might have been more accurate, given the better training and better maintenance standards... Or at least that was the theory. 

The US army figured a solider needed to fire 2 (very expensive) missiles a week to maintain proficiency.  And that's why every army in the world developed SACLOS as soon as possible.

Gosh, I've missed talking nerd stuff with fellow geeks.  Getting my second shot tomorrow!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, ZEKE said:

Yes, OC Geeks and Games is still gaming on Tuesdays.  I believe this month is still finishing FOW D-Day, they will probably switch back to TY come August.

Good to know.  Would folks be interested in playing some Team Yankee on August 3rd?

• 2 months later...