Spikey Elves

Lyraeus

1 minute ago, Munkie said:

The Succubi, in particular, are what I'm concerned about. I played some garagehammer with a friend today and had my Succubus kill 17 necron warriors in one combat phase. Sure it costs 2 CP to fight twice, but for a 60 point model (actually 75, but she didn't need her Master ability to do what she did), that is just an insane amount of damage. 

Fair. They are strong but people just need to learn how to counter her or to screen her out better. She is not durable for what she brings but is a straight blender.

• Like 1

I just watched the combo video you posted. He's on the right track but there are a few Succubi that are nastier than what he has.

The one I have been running is Triptych Whip, Precision Blows, and Adrenalight drug. She has 10 attacks (as opposed to the 12 of his version of it). The trade-off is any 6s to hit cancel the attack and apply the damage of the weapon (2) as mortal wounds. Lower damage ceiling, but it sidesteps invuls, -1 damage effects, and she can even threaten vehicles in a pinch. So nasty.

The other one I need to convert and play with is a pair of Razorflails, Competitive Edge, Dark Lotus Toxin, and Adrenalight. This gives her 7 attacks doubled (razorflails) to 14 at strength 4 and Ap-1, D2. Each attack that doesn't make it to the "Apply Damage" step (i.e. doesn't hit, doesn't wound, or gets stopped by saves) generates another attack. But here's where it gets really tricky. Since razorflails grant you 2 attacks EACH time you have an attack, your attacks that don't apply damage get doubled again. If, for some reason, her first 14 attacks don't make it through, she has another 28 attacks incoming. Don't forget to spend 2 CP for a (purely hypothetical) 84 attacks in a single phase! Granted that relies on 28 of those not applying damage, but the other 56 attacks are damage 2, for a ceiling of 112 damage in a single phase!

Honorable mention goes to the "pain in the ass" succubus. Shardnet & Impaler, Unparalleled Agility, Garland of Spite, and Painbringer drug. On Offense: 7 attacks that auto-hit, Str 4, AP-2, D2. Nothing too crazy, but still quite good. But defensively, she can be a nightmare. One model in engagement range gets its attacks halved, then it's -1 to hit her and -1 to wound her too. She's T4 with the drug, so unless a character is strength 8 they're only wounding on 4s with half their attacks at -1 to hit. If they want to get out of combat, they have to roll off against her with -1 to their roll.

Cult of Strife Succubi are just vicious for a minimal cost. 

*edit* fixed razorflails math above

• Like 1

Oops, scratch the above! Well, not entirely. Just any reference to attacking twice with a succubus. She does not have the wych keyword and so she cannot attack twice with the stratagem. It's for wyches/bloodbrides only.

So the razorflail build maxes out at 42 attacks, assuming the first 14 don't wound. A mere 56 potential damage per turn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Munkie said:

Oops, scratch the above! Well, not entirely. Just any reference to attacking twice with a succubus. She does not have the wych keyword and so she cannot attack twice with the stratagem. It's for wyches/bloodbrides only.

So the razorflail build maxes out at 42 attacks, assuming the first 14 don't wound. A mere 56 potential damage per turn.

Razorflails and Competitive Edge also has some odd interactions that make it not worth the headache. 

For instance the FAQ on multiple hit rolls for 1 attack messes up many things.... its... no.

I dont like Triptych with Precision Blows as you already have a high AP weapon. I like Blood Dancer more than Quicksilver. It is more swingy but it can just demolish most things. Dreadnoughts beware.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lyraeus said:

Razorflails and Competitive Edge also has some odd interactions that make it not worth the headache. 

For instance the FAQ on multiple hit rolls for 1 attack messes up many things.... its... no.

I dont like Triptych with Precision Blows as you already have a high AP weapon. I like Blood Dancer more than Quicksilver. It is more swingy but it can just demolish most things. Dreadnoughts beware.

Yeah, the razorflail build is likely to get FAQ'd out of relevance, IMO. It'll still be good against primaris and the like, but not bonkers.

The Triptych/Precision Blows is about flexibility and that's why I like it. There's nothing it doesn't threaten. Because as cool as the whip is, it's also a poison weapon. Only wounds dreads on 6s, so they aren't particularly worried. More dice, sure, but less likely to do much damage. Or if she's fighting a character and they have a 4++, it might just bounce off. Having a decent chance of just slamming 4 mortal wounds home at the top makes characters with invuls/vehicles really not interested in fighting her. It's also quite nice against plague marine disgustingly resilient. They take the damage down to 1, but if she rolls 6s at the top, it's still 2 mortal wounds.

I've also seen builds with Precision Blows on a Sharndet & Impaler w/ Dark Lotus Toxin and Adrenalight. 8 attacks, 6 to hit causes 3 mortal wounds, str 5, AP-2, damage 3. Kind of a hybrid build, but the mortal wound spike is nice.

10 hours ago, Munkie said:

Yeah, the razorflail build is likely to get FAQ'd out of relevance, IMO. It'll still be good against primaris and the like, but not bonkers.

The Triptych/Precision Blows is about flexibility and that's why I like it. There's nothing it doesn't threaten. Because as cool as the whip is, it's also a poison weapon. Only wounds dreads on 6s, so they aren't particularly worried. More dice, sure, but less likely to do much damage. Or if she's fighting a character and they have a 4++, it might just bounce off. Having a decent chance of just slamming 4 mortal wounds home at the top makes characters with invuls/vehicles really not interested in fighting her. It's also quite nice against plague marine disgustingly resilient. They take the damage down to 1, but if she rolls 6s at the top, it's still 2 mortal wounds.

I've also seen builds with Precision Blows on a Sharndet & Impaler w/ Dark Lotus Toxin and Adrenalight. 8 attacks, 6 to hit causes 3 mortal wounds, str 5, AP-2, damage 3. Kind of a hybrid build, but the mortal wound spike is nice.

9-10 attacks is interesting with Trip Whip but its AP just screams to me that it doesnt need the MW output. I have tested rolling against dreads and 10 attacks with Blood Danger (getting an average of 14 attacks) kills a normal dread in one go and drops a redemptor to 2-3 nearly every time. (2 CP of course for Metal Poison strat)

Shardnet and Hydra Gauntlets are interesting. Hydra specifically as 8 attacks... hmmm its only one 6 on average so 3 MW vs Flails at 2 on average so 4 MW... but the end result is a bit better... hmmmm

• Like 1

Got a list Idea I want to build...

I am thinking of building this... its 1 Patrol of Dark Creed for the negative LD, with an upgraded Harmonculus with Helm of Spite, then 1 unit of Haemoxytes with Ossefactor, then 2 sets of 20 wracks with 2 Ossefactors each, 5 mandrakes, 4 raiders with Chainsnares and Grisly trophies. Second patrol is Dark Technomancers with another Upgraded Haemonculus (you can have 1 Master HQ per different coven/Cult/Kabal) he has the Nightmare doll so he has a 4+++ and he has the bring back d3 Wracks WLT, then I have 10 Haemoxytes with Liquidfiers, two sets of 20 wracks with 2 liquidfiers, then 5 Grotesques with Liquidfiers, 5 Mandrakes and 2 maxed Cronos. 1995 on the nose and I guess I could add a shock prow somewhere for kicks

2 hours ago, PourSpelur said:

Orange!

Dark and desaturated orange, think old rust.

Also, I really dig a good purple. Tough color to get right and you nailed it.

Thanks! 

Yes, I will be doing Mulipass Orange as the highlight for the red. I am doing Sakura (a Metallic Pink) for the purple highlights. 

20210414_202226.jpg

which looks to have come out REALY nice. Now a bright thing but a good contrast to the Royal Purple metallic

• Like 2