So...new edition coming soon

7 minutes ago, Ish said:

This means I will have literally never played a game of AoS Second Edition... 

Same here. Bought the starter and played 10 games (+-) over six months and haven't touched it since. It was hard to find local opponents outside of Ordo (and even sometimes in the club). 

3 hours ago, Lyraeus said:

Oathmark?

Oathmark is a mass-combat fantasy game, akin to old school Warhammer Fantasy Battle or Kings of War. Square bases, ranks, flanks, and all that good stuff.

Age of Sigmar is a fine game, but it’s not my preference for fantasy wargaming. 

10 minutes ago, Ish said:

Oathmark is a mass-combat fantasy game, akin to old school Warhammer Fantasy Battle or Kings of War. Square bases, ranks, flanks, and all that good stuff.

Age of Sigmar is a fine game, but it’s not my preference for fantasy wargaming. 

I can see that. It seems Oathmark is very generic and not a lot of army variance or am I missing something?

Oathmark is intentionally “generic,” it’s an Iron Age Tolkien-esque fantasy world (with Men, Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, Goblins, and Halflings) that has an ancient Bronze Age past (which is when the Undead hail from)... and everything beyond that is intentional “left blank” because building your kingdom is a main aspect of the game. 

You don’t play “Dwarfs” or “Humans,” like in Warhammer or most other wargames where the faction you pick dictates your list of available units. You build your own list of available units then you build an army for an individual game... You want to go All Elf? You can. You want to ally Men and Goblins? You can. You want to have Elves, Dwarves, and Undead? Go for it.

Now, most of the races do have similar units: Elf Spearmen, Dwarf Spearmen, Human Spearmen; Elf Archers, Dwarf Archers, Human Archers... Which can seem kind of “same-y,” but once you drill down into their attributes, the differences between them become more apparent. Sure, you don’t see get paragraph upon paragraph of special rules unique to each unit... But, honestly, that’s a strength in its own way. Shifts gameplay from playing paper-rock-scissors with unique special rules and returns it to tactical maneuvers and strategic choices made on the table.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I like AoS. I’ve got a little north of 1,000 Points of Ironjawz (last I checked; it’s been a while) and would be perfectly happy to krump folks with them... 

That does make it interesting but what I am seeing is that everything is the same but X has +A but -B and that happens for all races and units.

There does not seem to be anything like fun units like giant elephants or some form of engines of war outside of the basic age of bronze, etc. 

It is basically Age of Empires but you get various races. That is interesting but not really going to drag me in at the moment

There’s quite a few “fun units,” such as but not limited to Indrik (a russian folklore creature that’s sort of like a unicorn / rhinoceroses / bear), Barghests, Ogres, Giants, Giant Spiders, Wyverns, Trolls, Giant Snakes, and of course, Dragons (with or without wings)...

And that’s just in the core rulebook. Oathbreakers added the Undead race, with all the extras you might expect like Vampires and such.

On 5/9/2021 at 1:46 AM, Jay said:

I hope to give 3rd a big launch at the clubhouse. 

I'd love to blow the dust off my dark elves. Never could figure out how to build the army with them being split all over the place in Sigmar.

I'm not a 'huge' fantasy player, but would love to get some learning games in and see what i'm missing. Never did get to play sigmar.

• Like 2

I think GW really, really, really screwed up the game with the switch to the AoS setting and the breakup of the existing armies into 24,601 sub-factions (many of which were mechanically illegal to field under Matched Play rules).

They’ve managed to claw their way out of the hole they dug for themselves, but... Yeesh. It took far longer to do that then it should have.

It still feels like the people working on the setting have no unified vision for what it is supposed to be. The tone, the direction, the themes... It’s all over the map. WHFB had a wide range of themes and tone too, but it was all anchored on a central vision of “Semi-realistic Renaissance European nations and Tolkien-esque fantasy kingdoms, mashed up with Moorcock-esque Dark Fantasy.”  

• Like 2

They had previously spilt the WHFB Orcs and Goblins into multiple different factions (and created the new Ironjawz). They have subsequently merged two of the three Goblin subfactions (Moonclan and Spiderfang a.k.a. Night Goblins and Forest Goblins) into one army book (but seem to have dropped the “generic Goblins” in the process. Likewise, they merged two of the Orc subfactions (Ironjawz and Bonesplitterz) into one book, but seem to have dropped the “generic Orcs” to do it.

Both unified battle tomes still support building an army that just uses one of the subfactions.

So, my guess is that a “unified Dwarf book” will mash the Fireslayers and Kharadon into one book... But quietly drop most of the “generic Dwarfs” of old.

We have a good group of gamers that have been playing AoS every Friday from 6pm to 9:30pm at Geeks and Games if anyone in here is interested. I will be there this Friday and I am always willing to play a lower points learning game, along with other players that play as well. Hopefully soon Guardian will open up for in-store play and we can get the Tuesday night Age of Sigmar night going again as well.

I'm kinda juggling a number of projects right now, but one of them is my Nighthaunt. I've play exactly ONE game of AoS 2.0 (split the starter box on release day), but I've been loosely following it and I'm excited to see what 3.0 brings. Hopeful I'll be able to start getting some games in at WoW on Sundays once I finish getting stuff together.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 12:25 PM, Ish said:

It still feels like the people working on the setting have no unified vision for what it is supposed to be. The tone, the direction, the themes... It’s all over the map. WHFB had a wide range of themes and tone too, but it was all anchored on a central vision of “Semi-realistic Renaissance European nations and Tolkien-esque fantasy kingdoms, mashed up with Moorcock-esque Dark Fantasy.”  

That is a grognard paragraph if I ever heard one. 

• Haha 1