New Kill Team!!!

• 2 months later...

I've watched the two battle reports they have on warhammer+ and I have to say, I feel much better about the game. The back and forth flow of the game, the major differences between the two states a model can be in, it seems to have lots of nice tactical options. I was a bit put off at first with them changing things so dramatically from normal 40K rules, but now after watching, I completely agree with it. The ability to have the lower tier troops still do something tangible is fantastic. The difference in seeing las guns bounce off powered armor marines completely in 40k compared to in kill team doing a couple of wounds (which doesn't kill, but still is important) is significant. I think the biggest downside right now is going to be the slow release of full rule sets for the various factions. To my knowledge, we have ork kommandos, death korp vets, and from WD, rules for Admech. Upcoming we'll have sisters and tau pathfinders. Hopefully more WD rules will be released for factions.

5 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I've watched the two battle reports they have on warhammer+ and I have to say, I feel much better about the game. The back and forth flow of the game, the major differences between the two states a model can be in, it seems to have lots of nice tactical options. I was a bit put off at first with them changing things so dramatically from normal 40K rules, but now after watching, I completely agree with it. The ability to have the lower tier troops still do something tangible is fantastic. The difference in seeing las guns bounce off powered armor marines completely in 40k compared to in kill team doing a couple of wounds (which doesn't kill, but still is important) is significant. I think the biggest downside right now is going to be the slow release of full rule sets for the various factions. To my knowledge, we have ork kommandos, death korp vets, and from WD, rules for Admech. Upcoming we'll have sisters and tau pathfinders. Hopefully more WD rules will be released for factions.

We also have WD rules for Thousand Sons, I know most players that have been playing have been having a fun time with the Compendium rules only, there seems to be more local players playing compendium over the Kill Teams with full rules based on my experience.

• Like 1

I've taken a look at the compendium and it will do for "get me by" rules. I think in order to really have a good Spec Ops campaign though, you'll rather have a full set like those currently in WD or in the box sets. I think where the compendium fails a bit is with armies that have uniform squads (ie eldar, necrons, nids, deamons). I would love to see actual Kill Teams made for those armies and hopefully that is what GW will do with future box sets. So for my tastes, I'll be limited on what factions I'll want to play currently because I really like variety in a skirmish game.

50 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

I've taken a look at the compendium and it will do for "get me by" rules. I think in order to really have a good Spec Ops campaign though, you'll rather have a full set like those currently in WD or in the box sets. I think where the compendium fails a bit is with armies that have uniform squads (ie eldar, necrons, nids, deamons). I would love to see actual Kill Teams made for those armies and hopefully that is what GW will do with future box sets. So for my tastes, I'll be limited on what factions I'll want to play currently because I really like variety in a skirmish game.

Yep my plan is to only play the "True" Kill Teams and they are planning on making "True" Kill Teams for all 40K armies at least by looking at the road mat they have done. For those armies that are further off they are doing the White Dwarf rules it appears anyway. The roadmap very much looks like a steady stream of bespoke Kill Teams. After playing a handful of games I absolutely love the rules for the game, my favorite GW Skirmish game for sure.

@scottshoemakerI will say no to your question, but what I have seen so far with the "full" kill teams is that they add more options than you would typically have in a 40K unit. For instance, the Krieg vet list, they have models like a medic, spotter, fanatic, bruiser, etc...that are in no way available to a typical guard squad. They are for Kill Team. So my expectation at this point is that they will continue to release faction Kill Teams that are different from 40K.

Or in other words, you won't be able to mix types too much (like dire avengers, swooping hawks, and banshee's) in a single list. But what they would offer is 4-5 dire avenger sub-types and then another 4-5 swooping hawks that could be together in a single list (due to being able to take two fire teams in an eldar kill team).

I don't think its as all bad as that. Basically a Kill Team is specialized unit put together for some specific mission or missions. So like the new Tzeench list that is in WD. You have a sorc, some chaos marines, and then the new Zbeastmen guys? Clearly more options in terms of models, gear, and strategies, plus info for campaign play. It won't let you take whatever you want, but there is a theme there and more options than what is currently in the compendium. The a$$ part is going to be the wait for a specific faction's kill team based on their roadmap. I think its really weird to have a Sister's kill team in the next box. They just don't seem like a Kill Team force to me...but Dark Eldar..that would have rocked. Oh well...new sisters models though..so that's cool.

I believe the long term plan for this game is similar to how Warhammer Underworlds is done. In that the models and kill team rules would be designed with Kill Team in mind first and foremost and just a nice to have ability to use those same models in 40k if you play both games. Which to me is totally fine since I have stopped playing 40k and even if I did play both games it would be cool to have some small unique units I could use in either game. Before for people that only wanted to play Kill Team they would have to but a ton of kits to get all of the model options they needed for Kill Team. With the new model it appears you can always get by with 1 box of Kill Team models or worst case 2 boxes of models to get you all of the model options to run any configuration of a Kill Team. With the Ork Kommandos, there is almost zero reason to buy 2 boxes but with the Krieg I did end up getting 2 boxes to get all of the options I wanted and even in that case I gave a few models to my son so he could flesh out his Krieg Kill Team a bit more.