Warhammer old world, very encouraging

9 minutes ago, Ish said:

New map, new timeline, changes to the lore… It might be a good game, it might be a terrible game, I don’t know. But I know it’s not the Warhammer Fantasy Battle that I spent decades playing.

Not a new timeline, they are simply picking a point in the timeline not covered by previous editions. The map is not new, the borders are simply different. Sounds like they are going pre-consolidated Empire. I am pretty sure in the lore there was a period when there were multiple Electors that claimed the crown. I think that is what they are going for.

Rules wise, I hope we get something closer to 4th-6th edition bulk wise, but less power to characters in general. I'd love to see units of 20 being viable again.

The Old World isn’t about rules for me.

I started playing WHFB in 1990 and discovered Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay only a few years later. I used to read the army books and rpg modules as entertainment leisure reading, not just game books.

Karl Franz, Louen Leoncoeur, Drachenfels, Genevieve Dieudonné... These names have as much resonance with my childhood as Boba Fett or Darth Vader have for other nerds.

I’m following this project, but I’m very nervous about it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Not a new timeline, they are simply picking a point in the timeline not covered by previous editions. The map is not new, the borders are simply different. Sounds like they are going pre-consolidated Empire. I am pretty sure in the lore there was a period when there were multiple Electors that claimed the crown. I think that is what they are going for.

The map is very different. Norsca has grown in size, the Border Princes have shrunk, Albion has grown, et cetera.

They have said in a previous article that Louen Orc-Slayer is currently the King of Bretonnia. In the old timeline, he assumed the throne around the year 1223 (2201 Imperial Calendar).

The Imperial Elector Count system began to break down in 1579 IC during the Age of Three Emperors; the decline got worse over the next century as various Elector-Counts went to war with each other; got even worse in 1940 IC when Drachenfels invited the Elected Emperor Carolus II and his court to a great feast at his castle, only to assassinate all of them; and then in 1979 -- Magritta of Marienburg was elected Empress by the remaining Elector Counts. The Grand Theogonist of Sigmar refused to acknowledge the appointment and the Empire is effectively cease to exist until Magnus the Pious of Nuln was elected Emperor in 2304 IC.

Which means, if Louen Orc-Slayer is on the throne of Bretonnia then there shouldn’t be an Empire on the map. There should be ten individual counties and a half-dozen independent city-states.

image.jpeg

I cannot speak to specifics, but generally miniatures manufacturers will try keep molds for as long as possible (even after discontinuing a model or a line) since there’s a big upfront cost in designing the model, making the molds, et cetera… and storage space on a shelf someplace isn’t terribly expensive.

However, molds do wear out over time with repeated use and it’s also possible for them to become damaged due to accidents or what have you.

Molds designed for pewter or resin will not work for plastics and vice versa.

Which is to say they might have rules for classic Bretonnians et. al., but don’t expect to see those old models on retail shelves again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1