Ordo Fanaticus Necromunda Campaign Chapter 1 (Fall 2021)

scottshoemaker

19 hours ago, Sgt. Rock said:

I'm chiefly interested in Orlocks; they've always been the ones I've liked the flavor of the most (though if I could get my hands on a full gang of the classic Delaques, when they were just regular bald dudes in trench coats, I'd love to use those. But the Orlocks are more accessible.)

Orlocks are a lot of fun.  I'm always happy to see more representation from the House of Iron. 

I also like the old "1970's flasher" Delacque models.  I think Burk played them in the Before Times, and they looked great on the table.  The only thing to consider is their built-in loadouts are fairly basic under the new rules--shotguns, autoguns, etc.--so they'll be hard to build with the weird optimized Delacque weapons (like webguns & grav) that came out for the current edition.  Just a thought, but obviously choose your own adventure (TM).   

Orlocks, on the other hand, are a gang that can still flourish with fairly basic loadouts like shotguns, autoguns, etc.

18 hours ago, Nellie said:

Can't say I'm 100% caught up on how the new necromunda rules have evolved. Will this campaign be using tactics cards?

The campaign is using Tactics cards.  However, they are quite optional on a per game basis, I would encourage folks who are new (or rusty like myself) to simply not use them for a while.  The smaller Gang Raid missions lend themselves to well to a more streamlined way to play, which is why it's being used. 

Chapter 1 is designed to let everyone ease in to the campaign. Pregame just let your opponent know you'd prefer to not use them. That's my plan.  I haven't played since lockdown started, so I'm really just relearning everything.

15 minutes ago, Damunky said:

Ok i totally want to join in the fun. I have an escher gang from the underhive box that came out a bit ago.  I have no Idea how to build a gang and wont be able to make it to the club house until the 11th or 12th cause my parents are in town visiting. so what do?

https://yaktribe.games/underhive is your best resource here.  Create an account then just play around.  If you are brand spanking new the best advice is build basic.  Don't worry about too much esoteric equipment, buy your gang members, equip them with guns, grenades and maybe armor. Your champions should have better stuff than the others.  For this initial chapter we'll be permissive about allowing loadout changes etc.  Feel free to set aside 100 or so credits for special gear for later purchases.  IR goggles, gas masks and other such goodies can be confusing to know their worth until you have some games played.

1 hour ago, Damunky said:

Ok i totally want to join in the fun. I have an escher gang from the underhive box that came out a bit ago.  I have no Idea how to build a gang and wont be able to make it to the club house until the 11th or 12th cause my parents are in town visiting. so what do?

This house guide for Eschers is also extremely helpful for building a gang: https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-houses-of-the-underhive-escher/

The new models--Death Maidens & Wyld Runners--are included in that guide, but there's tons of helpful theorycrafting stuff about the basic gear that comes on the standard Escher sprue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jollyork said:

Pretty sure I need to edit my gang and replace the 2nd champion with another ganger. Not feeling great about having 25% of my gang sidelined by scenarios. 

I get the impression that the second champion will serve some sort of purpose in the campaign? Something like one action per champion in the various campaign turns?

22 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I get the impression that the second champion will serve some sort of purpose in the campaign? Something like one action per champion in the various campaign turns?

Yes, the campaign masterminds have uttered some rumors, but for my gang it meant fielding only 3 out of 4 ogryns each game. As tough as they are individually, I don't like them odds since there isn't even a whiff of a gun on them. I need a wall of muscle to absorb puny lasgun shots until they get into krumpin' range! 

17 hours ago, jollyork said:

Yes, the campaign masterminds have uttered some rumors, but for my gang it meant fielding only 3 out of 4 ogryns each game. As tough as they are individually, I don't like them odds since there isn't even a whiff of a gun on them. I need a wall of muscle to absorb puny lasgun shots until they get into krumpin' range! 

The details are probably still being hammered out, but it looks like Ogryns might have to roll with fewer than 3 dudes for some of these missions.  According to Scotty: Missions will be gang raid style, generally 1/3 of the gang involved.  Balance and bodies is recommended, as it will be randomly determined who's involved for a particular mission. If you've played Warcry you'll be familiar.

Depending on the mission, one 5 Strength/5 Tough Ogryn might be all you need, however.  Also, there's nothing to stop people from just playing full-strength games in addition to the mini-gang raid missions.

But now that I look at Jeff's "Gang Raids" post, it says missions will involve 3-6 fighters.  I guess we need to determine whether the number of fighters involved is based on a ratio of the total gang strength (a la Scotty's post) or a set number of dudes on the map (a la Jeff's post). 

This is pretty important for balancing because a horde gang like Cawdor only has a chance against an Oops-All-Brutes gang like Ogryn, if the number is based on total gang strength.  Otherwise, 3 Ogryn will squash 3 Cawdor every day of the week. 

Also, Dan is bringing up an important thing to look at regarding the number of champions.  If a gang can bring its full roster on a 3-6 ganger mission, then there's a mathematical incentive  to avoid making a gang with (a) more than 6 members or (b) more than one champion.  Again, this would make things tough for high-body gangs like Cawdor and to a lesser extent Escher.

Maybe we should split the baby by including a hard cap for points allowed on a mission in addition to the 3-6 number of bodies allowed. 

It’s going to depend on the mission.

The thing to remember is that games of Necromunda are rarely “balanced”.  As this is a narrative campaign, missions are going to reflect everything from ambushing a couple of dudes collecting fungus to an all out rumble. Think of them as RPG encounters. 

I may have a mission where I have to sneak into Dans camp while they are asleep to steal an item so I have to contend with his entire gang. Or three of my scouts may stumble on one of his ogryn while he stepped away to take a leak.

• Like 1

Hi Scotty.  I was confused by the "generally 1/3 of your gang" statement.  Thanks for clearing up that it will be variable based on the mission. 

I agree that Necromunda is not balanced, but it's important to have an open conversation about how much imbalance can occur before it negatively impacts the fun of the game.  When I ran the Deathcap Junction campaign, the black market book had just come out, and we had to straight out ban a few items--I'm looking at you, Falsehood--because they simply made for a less good time.  (It may have been a gentleman's agreement to stop using Falsehoods, I can't remember, it was the Before Times.)

Either way, playing games more quickly is a good way to help mitigate imbalance issues, so kudos for taking us in that direction.

The setting for Chapter 1 is the driver here. All the gangs are on the frontier, rediscovering spaces in this new region.  I'll be posting some of these sub-gang raid missions here.  These missions will be using a Warcry style determination- separate your gang into 3 even (as much as possible) groups, randomly determine which group is in the mission. 

The Gang Raids supplement is the inspiration for Chapter 1. Now any players can give me the finger and play any mission they like, but for those that want smaller games will have that option.  As I understand it Jeff is creating a special rewards table that will replace those found in missions, until will get that ironed out assume the normal rewards for any mission are suspended. We have noticed that there is a huge eqpt vs. xp gap in the current rules, so we are trying to address this.

• Like 1

Since I haven't heard anyone say they're going to bring a Cawdor gang, I'm going to have to bring the holy light and cleansing fire of the God-Emperor to the heathens and heretics of Cassandra's Reach. The Last Sin-Eaters will be building a new church there to glorify the Emperor and increase the ranks of House Cawdor. They will remove sin from all they come across through their holy rituals, consuming blood or a small piece of flesh from sinners. Willingly or not. Death is the last rite and blessing of the Emperor, but sin must be physically extracted from the body. The rumors of them eating their enemies, leaving behind only bones (or crafting them into weapons), are highly exaggerated.

https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/the_last_sin_eaters.216717/

• Like 4

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Primary Comm- 237.93721.73

Orig: 38:8D:92:H4 Dest: LV:42:6A:8P

RE: Region 284691/38D col: Cassandras Reach

+House Van Saar Independent Operations Unit - Sigma-1

+Dispatch agents to Region 284691/38D. Establish BoA. Determine resource potential. Determine settlement potential. Report hostile interference. 

+Request comes from Council Subcommittee 285.94/D. Standard parameters apply.

End Transmission 237.93721.73

https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/sigma-1.219374/

• Like 2