2022 New Year's Blitz! ! DUNGEON BOWL EDITION

Weav

8 hours ago, Teturact said:

12 this season

Wow.  I must say I am shocked to find another healthy BB league in the PDX area.  We have been playing all up and down the west coast for dozens of years.   How did we not find each other? 🙂  

I would love to know more about your league?  Hope you dont mind me picking your brain?  Is it newer players or old vets?  I am sure I will have more q's but dont want to pester...yet 🙂  lol.

• Like 1

Just now, Burk said:

Wow.  I must say I am shocked to find another healthy BB league in the PDX area.  We have been playing all up and down the west coast for a good dozens of years.   How did we not find each other? 🙂  

I would love to know more about your league?  Hope you dont mind me picking your brain?  Is it newer players or old vets?  I am sure I will have more q's but dont want to pester...yet 🙂  lol.

I echo all this

It's mostly new players a couple of my buddies are veterans of when we had a league in early 2000s and I dragged a bunch of bar friends into it.  we've only been together since like april and I wasn't really looking to branch out yet.  we are near the end of our second season doing some end of season tournaments (playoffs and a losers bracket)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burk said:

Wow.  I must say I am shocked to find another healthy BB league in the PDX area.  We have been playing all up and down the west coast for dozens of years.   How did we not find each other? 🙂  

we SHOULD get together I'll drop in on the first and say hi even if everyone shows up.  Also I'll be teaching someone bb next tuesday evening 12/28 and helping someone else with some painting/ modeling stuff at Sessionable if you want to drop in for a beer and a chat.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Teturact said:

It's mostly new players a couple of my buddies are veterans of when we had a league in early 2000s and I dragged a bunch of bar friends into it.  we've only been together since like april and I wasn't really looking to branch out yet.  we are near the end of our second season doing some end of season tournaments (playoffs and a losers bracket)

Awesome.....we definitely need to get introduced and look at how we can maximize on each other.  We have a solid group with a good mix of almost 30 year veterans to some newer players.  A core group of us are pretty well versed in the tourney scene across the US and go to many up and down the west coast as well as the occasional Midwest trip.  We have very good contacts with the larger player bases across the US and are very close to the BC, Puget Sound, Bay area, Salt Lake City, LV groups among others.  I look forward to seeing you.

• Like 2

The Steely Dangers, College of Metal

Initially entering the Dungeon Bowl circuit to much acclaim, the Steely Dangers began as a well-mixed team of Human and Orc players. Over time, however, reckless coaching and poor luck with explosive chests weeded out the relatively fragile human players through natural attrition, leaving a core of tough Orc veterans. Not that they've all emerged unscathed, either - celebrated technical player Deacon Blues is now more machine than Orc. The only (presumed) human remaining on the team is the Bloodseeker Brother Lou, who the orcs respect for his capacity for violence even though he's said to be "a bit too into blood, innit?"

• Like 2

Quick note, New Year's Blitz participants: if there is a situation not covered by the rules we will revert to the most conservative interpretation. For example, @MrCushtie has been asking some real noodle-scratchers in the Dungeonbowl Fans Facebook Group, and not getting many replies. For example:

"Fumblerooski allows you to place the ball in any square you vacate as you move or blitz. Does that include a teleporter? I'm imagining some sort of shenanigans where you teleport in one direction and (hope) the ball goes in another. (The rules say a loose ball that lands on a teleporter is teleported. Since a Fumblerooski'd ball is *not* loose, will it teleport? Or should it sit there (similar to the debate about whether a person who is knocked down on a Both Down on a teleporter should teleport or not)."

In cases like this that are not covered in the rulebook, we will rule that the ball bounces from the teleporter, and does not teleport to a different teleporter. 

• Like 1

Unlike other Ordo Blood Bowl events, we don't quite have a fixed schedule for New Year's Blitz. The reason is that this format is so new, it is difficult to anticipate how long matches will take. We are playing four rounds of Dungeon Bowl, and we will observe the following timing conventions:

• Minimum round time: 50 minutes
  • Maximum round time: 1.5 hours
  • Break time between rounds: 15 minutes
  • Final game each round: if the final table isn't finished before 50 minutes, the two coaches will have twenty minutes to finish the remainder of their game; if neither player wins, the game will be declared a 0-0 draw after the active coach's currently active player finishes their activation

As a result, here is the loose schedule for Saturday's tournament: 

• 10:30am: Registration and rules discussion
  • Apprx 11am: Game One begins
  • Apprx 12:30pm: Game Two begins
  • Apprx 2:00pm: Game Three begins
  • Apprx 3:30pm: Game Four begins
  • Apprx 5:15pm: Awards

Due to the potential for draws, here is the scoring mechanism and tie-breakers for the event:

• Win: 30 tournament points
  • Draw: 10 tournament points
  • Loss: 0 tournament points
  • Casualties caused: 1 tournament point for each casualty-caused that would earn SPPs
  • Found the ball first: 2 tournament points
  • Gold collected: 1 tournament per 10,000K gold collected in the Treasure Room in dungeons that feature that room
  • Scored first but didn't discover the ball first: 1 tournament point

Our winner will be the coach with the most tournament points. The tie-breakers are (for results only, not matching):

• Head to Head 
  • Strength of Schedule (as determined by SCORE)
  • Casualties Caused
  • Gold Collected 
  • Like 1

For clarity sake, this is a resurrection tournament. Yes, there is a tournament points incentive for collecting gold in the Treasure Room, but without that this room has no effect. In addition, with one TD winning a game, I desperately needed to locate things to vary out the tournament points and create tie-breakers.

• Like 2