40k Seasons: The Joy Of Maintenance Fees

Tao Tsê-Mung

tldr: Four new sources of rules updates to buy over six months. “Balanced to Move” armies of renown will continue releasing. Chaos gets everything except 2W/Codex until everyone buys World Eaters + Emperors Children armies.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/12/28/warhammer-40000-seasons-are-going-to-change-the-way-you-conquer-the-galaxy/

I’m going to revisit the beta Maelstrom Of War rules. Maelstrom was refreshingly fun and much more friendly  to non-meta armies in 8th due to the change of scoring away from tournament play.

There’s a few great reviews of the beta rules online - anyone else who’s had experience with them in 9th I’d love to hear your thoughts as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PumpkinHead said:

I have to take a break from 40k. The level of nonsense that is coming out is insane. The distribution of rules is so crazy it is hard to track it all.

The new RAILGUN with 10-12 wounds per shot is straight asinine.

QOZ81KcGrc7FaEBX.jpg

@Tao Tsê-Mung

at least Broadsides with railguns cant shoot in melee....oh sh%&

😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PumpkinHead said:

I have to take a break from 40k. The level of nonsense that is coming out is insane. The distribution of rules is so crazy it is hard to track it all.

The new RAILGUN with 10-12 wounds per shot is straight asinine.

QOZ81KcGrc7FaEBX.jpg

This doesn’t bug me much; the Hammerhead’s rail gun is meant to be one of the scariest anti-tank weapons on the battlefield short of those carries by Titan-class tank hunters.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ish said:

This doesn’t bug me much; the Hammerhead’s rail gun is meant to be one of the scariest anti-tank weapons on the battlefield short of those carries by Titan-class tank hunters.

Aye, In reality hammerheads will still be less points efficient than Dreadknights, Redemptors, SK Menhirs, Tank Commanders, etc - all of which can kill a  hammerhead in a single turn, can split fire when needed, and have higher theoretical output as well.

It’s the same people complaining who thought 12-14 attacks rerolling on a warlord with flat 3 damage was dandy. Just scared by a big number showing up in anyone else’s list. Tau only have one phase to do damage. And the submunitions is a nerf because it used to be a firing mode available to all hammerheads without spending CP.

Ultimately this will lead to more army diversity as it shifts away from volume of fire to quality of shots - which have different strategic counters opponents  must account for.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the reddit-meta-gallery should start comparing every statline released since 9th against "What if you were facing 3x that as CSM soup?".

Give them a feel for how every faction still waiting for codexes feel when all the existing codexes came out.

GW could have rolled this out much more equitably - but they would have sold a lot fewer models to the statline-panic.

• Like 2