New Eldar Guardians - hmmmmmmm

Brother Glacius

Old Guardians99120104018_Guardians10NEW_02.jpg

new guardiansLndSkSTIL5RRbMpa.png

I'll admit, when I first saw the preview for the new guardians, I was very much "meh". Honestly, they looked exactly like the old ones. It actually wasn't until I pulled up images side by side that I could see a difference. The new models do seem better defined with some nicer hard edges to plates and such. I will say that GW's paint job on the new models is crisper as well, really pulling out the depth differences.

The other major difference is that the newer models have a greater variety of poses and of course the addition of storm guardian weapons.  Not sure that warrants dropping the money for the new guys just yet. The old ones are $40 for 11 models. I'm betting the new guys hit the $50 if not all the way to $60. I don't have any storm guardians, but since there are plenty of melee based aspect warriors to use, not sure why I would. Overall I'd say the new kit is an improvement, but I do sort of feel like it was a missed opportunity to ratchet them up a bit. You compare them to say a GSC line model or a dark eldar line model...those are fantastic in their detail. This one, while better, still sort of comes off flat.

Brother G.

• Like 1

I think the design of the Eldar, in general, and the Guardians, specifically, is one of those designs that just works. They nailed it when they transitioned away from the chainmail pants of 1st- and 2nd-Edition to the fully plate armor of 3rd. Everything else is just tweaking.

• Sad 1

meh... the guardians were already plastic - would have been nice to see other units pulled out of the metal age :yourock:... 

but come on... did you all see the Heroes Infinite "Eldar" from their November 2021 Patreon?  VID - compelled me to pay up... and I haven't played Eldar in 40k in about a year LOL

-d

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

I love my RT guardians...liked that look better than this one actually...I'd die to some modern guardians with chainmail 🙂

I can’t really disagree with that either. I do kinda miss the early editions much more obvious “Fantasy in Space” aesthetic… Heck, I still have trouble remembering they’re not called “Space Elves” and “Space Orks” anymore.

[quote]meh... the guardians were already plastic - would have been nice to see other units pulled out of the metal age :yourock:... [/quote]

I had always assumed that the next round of Eldar kits would have dual-purpose sets: Guardians/Dire Avengers; Banshees/Hawks; Scorpions/Spiders… But I guess GW doesn’t like doing kits that give good value for money anymore. That’s sooo 2010.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Torg said:

meh... the guardians were already plastic - would have been nice to see other units pulled out of the metal age :yourock:... 

but come on... did you all see the Heroes Infinite "Eldar" from their November 2021 Patreon?  VID - compelled me to pay up... and I haven't played Eldar in 40k in about a year LOL

-d

Ummmm that vid is for a kitchen robot.... 😮

I'd pay good money for 3D print files for RT guardians. Or maybe do a mashup of chainmail and wings for the corsairs...that would be sweet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1