Canceled my White Dwarf subscription today

I am done. Jesus. Just yesterday I finally received issue 471, a full month after it was due, and after issue 472 arrived in stores...which I don't have by the way. Sick and tired of the lies GW pushes. Right there on the inside cover, "Subscriber issues are mailed out early..." my ass. This is the fourth issue this year I've had problems getting. It isn't like GW couldn't have sent some sort of message explaining a delay, or add an extra issue to my sub to make up for it. Years ago, that is exactly the sort of thing GW would have done. Now? forget it. Hell, they don't even have a US customer service anymore. If you call, you get routed to the UK branch and can only call before 9am weekdays or they are closed. Just so frustrated.

• Like 1

I haven’t even read a White Dwarf in at least six years and I only glanced at a random issue now and then for the four-ish years prior to that.  The magazine used to be filled with useful hobby content, but has been little more than a glorified catalog (and not a terribly useful one) for twenty years now… 

• Like 1

During my 25+ years of affiliation with the wargaming hobby, I've always been tempted by a White Dwarf subscription. Unfortunately, even when I've been actively gaming, the content is simply too hit or miss for me. I recently bought Issue #470  (just to have something to read over the holidays) and I was struck by the fact that although there were multiple articles for a variety of games, there was ZERO content for the one GW game I'm currently interested in (Kill Team). I did like reading the 40k content (20 pages or so), it was nice to see the how-to paint guides (6-7 pages), and because it was a Dec. issue, there was a sheet of free transfers and some optional cards for BB, Necro, AT, and AI (always cool to get free stuff). But paying $11 for something that took me all of 30 minutes to digest is not a great deal, IMHO. And I think this was the first WD I've bought since 2019, so I probably won't be buying another for quite awhile.

23 minutes ago, scottshoemaker said:

At least you can pick it up at Safeway now.

Really? Is it located in the checkout aisle, right next to the Enquirer and the US Sun? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well that is the thing @Blustorm most issues do have new stuff in them. One of the reasons I had the sub was to get all of the Kill Team rules they were putting in there. There are rules for Ad mech and tzeench for example...and I think maybe a couple of others? But also for 40K they put in flashpoints so you can get special missions with rules and such. I mean it is hit or miss, but I have found the WD were finally not just advertisements. They even started to add in transfers for new marine chapters, or putting in cardboard inserts for various games. So they are worth keeping an eye on. I enjoyed reading them and will still pick them up locally, just not going to give GW 100% of my money.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:23 AM, Ish said:

I’m just hoping that Wargames Illustrated eventually adds a subscription plan for North America.

from email I had received from them last year. I am a current subscriber.

Wargames illustrated USA print subscriptions

We are excited to announce that we are changing how Wargames illustrated subscriptions are purchased and shipped to subscribers in the United States. Wargames illustrated subscriptions will now be handled directly by our US partner, Ironheart Artisans, operating out of Bluff City, TN.

Ironheart Artisans are ready to accept quarterly and yearly (print only) subscriptions via their website:

https://www.ironheartartisans.com

Why the change?

After several months of recurring mailing problems, postal price rises, and customs changes regarding mailing copies of Wargames illustrated magazines from the UK to the USA, we have decided to make significant changes to the way our United States based subscriptions are handled. Having a USA based distributor will ensure you get a far better and more reliable service.

What will happen?

As an existing subscriber to the magazine, you will see some changes in the next few days:

• We will cancel the subscription you have with Wargames illustrated Ltd. in the UK.
  • Wi406 (cover date October) will be the last magazine sent to you from the UK.
  • Your recuring payments, currently paid via PayPal Automatic Payment, will be cancelled - your subscription will end and will not be automatically renewed. You will receive an email from PayPal to this effect.

What to do to continue receiving Wargames illustrated magazine

1. Initially, nothing! Your subscription will continue until Wi406, our October issue.
    • You will shortly receive email notification from PayPal that “Your automatic payment is no longer active”.
    • You will receive Wi406 (October) in the mail directly from the UK.

1. Following receipt of Wi406 your UK subscription to Wargames illustrated ends. To receive further copies of the magazine you will need to re-subscribe via Ironheart Artisans: https://www.ironheartartisans.com

A word from Dan, Wargames illustrated owner and Editor

Our decision to stop supplying our subscribers in the United States direct from the UK is not something we have taken lightly. We have been shipping copies of the magazine to our readers in the USA for over 30 years and have a great affection for all our loyal readers there.

We would not have implemented this change if we were not confident that Ironheart Artisans will significantly improve the quality subscription service we have been struggling to provide of late. Since trade relations between the UK and US have conspired to disrupt the reliability and feasibility of shipping the magazine, this seems like the best possible solution.

This new arrangement will make Wargames illustrated subscriptions in the United States more reliable and more timely, hopefully setting us up for many more decades of tabletop adventures together!

Thank you for your support,

Dan Faulconbridge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3