Guardian Cup List ->1850 points of Rusty Necrons

First off thank you pretre for giving me a couple of practice games (since I could not manage to make league this month) and for the feedback afterwards! I can now say that I am pretty solid with the list I am going to take to the Guardian Cup and figured I like posting for any odd last minute tweaks or suggestions. I also find it fun to let people know what I have in store for them. Anywho...less typing, more listing....

HQ->Overlord w/Semipaternal Weave, Phase Shifter, Mindshackle Scarabs, Phylactry, Res Orb,                   Warscythe

Royal Court-> Cryptek of Despair w/Veil of Darkness

Royal Court-> Cryptek of the Storm w/Lightning Field

Royal Court-> Cryptek of the Storm

Royal Court-> Cryptek of the Storm

Troops-> 15 Warriors in Night Scythe

Troops-> 15Warriors in Night Scythe

Troops->10 Warriors in Ghost Ark

Troops->15 Warriors

Fast-> 5 Wraiths

Fast-> 6 Scarab Swarms

Heavy-> 2 Spyders

Heavy-> Annihilation Barge

The things I learned I need to work on:

1) Keep my Troops in their vehicles until the last possible turn (realistically turn 5 if possible but turn 4 is also ok)

2) Don't deploy on the line by default every time because I find first turn assaults to be awesome and doable with this list. Be smart about who I attack with what and when.

3) Order of Operations. Yes my Warriors can Hull a vehicle out but that will also provide cover for my opponent....shoot the vehicle with the Night Scythe first to try to explodey it....then use Warriors as the back up plan!

Any and all feedback is welcome....and more than likely appreciated.

If you're hanging in your transport all game long, 15 Warriors is overkill. I can see 10 to ensure you survive those final turns, but spending ~300pts on a unit that does almost nothing most of the game is probably not a great idea.

Phase Shifter is overpriced, don't bother with it. You've already got 2+/Rez/MSS protecting you and you're swinging ahead of Power Fists; basically, anything that can cut through that is gonna screw you up regardless. Ditto on Phylactery- most of the time even when you die, it does absolutely nothing. Occasionally you'll stand up with three wounds, which is cute, but it won't happen enough to matter.

Wraiths want at least a couple Whip Coils. They're not that expensive and they can really shift a fight, especially against something like a walker or MC.

A second Annihilation Barge would help you a lot. They're pretty good.

Your Scarabs are gonna have a rough time against all the S6+ Ignores Cover out there; I might suggest an Aegis Defense Line if you really want to protect them.

Not 100% certain on what your plan for the Crypteks is- for one, Night Scythes have a capacity of fifteen, so neither of those squads can be joined by  any of them as it stands. Ignoring that, presumably you want the Veil guy with the blob on foot, the upgraded Storm guy with the Ark squad, and the other two with the two Scythe units? I think you'd be better served by a Destruction or Transmogrification guy in the Ark, as their better range complements the Warriors better (and you already have a ton of Haywire/Gauss/S7.) Consider buying the Despair guy his gun upgrade, as a Leadership test at 18" is nothing to sneeze at and usually you won't be in range for the flamer (plus it's only ten points.) The Storm guys' upgrades really aren't worth it, as they don't do enough damage to really matter most of the time.

Overall it looks reasonably solid. You might consider a Destroyer Lord if you really wanna push the melee angle, but that would definitely require some significant changes to the army.

I will respond more to all of this when I am on a computer and not my phone as I have been on the fence about some of the things brought up. I do want to at least throw out my plan for the Royal Court. I will admit it is ridiculous and a one trick pony...but I have enjoyed it these past few games. Basically the idea is to keep the Royal Court together and pop vehicles until my opponenet decides enough is enough. The other thought is it helps me get First Blood and while not a huge factor in this tournament it is still a factor. I also don't mind losing them as they ultimately cost 145 points...155 if I add the upgrade to the Despair...I have been thinking about it and half my lists at this point had him with it...again as an added cheap trick and in case there were no vehicles to zzzap out. New list to come with small changes. Again, appreciate the thoughts to digest so far and hope my Royal Court plan makes more sense.

Let me see what I can type in a short amount of time....and remember everything.

I totally agree my Overlord is Overpriced. I am very thankful about the feedback on him as I have no problem dropping both the Phylactry and the Phase Shifter. My original thought was to have a really tough to destroy Warlord to do my best to deny my opponent that point. So far my Overlord has not done much in the way of making all those points worth it. I have been debating about switching some stuff up and throwing him in a Command Barge but I feel I lack a good understanding of how chariots work. I am also seriously debating about dropping the Res Orb as well as I feel it has also been kind of lack luster like for me.

My Wraiths have been a big quandary for me as I feel I need them but I invest too much into what I expect out of them. I kept them basic to help keep me from caring (for some reason adding stuff makes me care more about them and it makes no sense but there you have it). If I make the changes to my Overlord this will allow me to give all my Wraiths Whip Coils no problem. I will just have to convince myself they are basic and try to not care too much about them surviving. I will admit I did a much better job recently of not doing my normal just put them on the line and go to town. My game with Capt. A really taught me the value of a little dancing with these guys and I think playing them smart with Whip Coils will make me like them again as I did months ago.

GAH...well that is that for now...again I am still digesting and kicking around some of this stuff in my head. Another thing I have been thinking about is nixing the Royal Court but even with it not being a steady trick it is something that has lots of appeal to me. Why can't emotions and logic work hand in hand instead of against each other!

The points from taking out the Court would almost give you enough for a Destroyer Lord, who would ultimately be a more reliable anti-tank option. Without a Court you could switch the Overlord to Obyron and Deep Strike around with your Wraiths/D.Lord...might be fun?

edit: and really, that Destroyer Lord just needs to be in the army because that model is the tits.

The points from taking out the Court would almost give you enough for a Destroyer Lord, who would ultimately be a more reliable anti-tank option. Without a Court you could switch the Overlord to Obyron and Deep Strike around with your Wraiths/D.Lord...might be fun?

edit: and really, that Destroyer Lord just needs to be in the army because that model is the tits.

I concluded that last night....if I drop the court I can take the Destroyer Lord instead with Mindshackle Scarabs....I am learning that as silly as Preferred Enemy Everything is to give to my Wraiths...it seems to make a difference along with the Whip Coils.

Also kept wanting to ask you as well Aventine....is there any other particular model you think needs to make an appearance for this event?

Here is another thing I figure I can ask the community and get decent feedback. I have my opinions about this but will not share for fear of changing minds. The question is....how would you feel about your opponent playing 2 different looking Annihilation Barges? Included are the pics of both my barges. One typically is run as a Command Barge but I like to explore my options and I have been really on the fence about this topic.

1381729_10202225237540975_693927422_n.jp

545844_10200720756689894_1991057596_n.jp

And sorry...my internet-fu is weak today and I forgot how to do the Spoiler thing....some days I feel my nerd card should be revoked.

Version 2.0

HQ) Overlord w/MSS, Res Orb, Warscythe, Phaeron

HQ) Destroyer Lord w/MSS

Troops) 10 Warriors in Night Scythe

Troops) 10 Warriors in Night Scythe

Troops) 10 Warriors in Ghost Ark

Troops) 15 Warriors

Fast) 5 Wraiths w/Whip Coils

Fast) 8 Scarab Swarms

Heavy) 2 Spyders

Heavy) Annihilation Barge

Heavy) Annihilation Barge

My biggest concern is my Troops surviving end of game to earn me objectives over my opponent. With 15 Warriors in the Night Scythes I feel it allows me to make dumb moves end of game not as costly or help me claim objectives in matches with good anti-air. I do feel this list is more solid and grants more targets for my opponent to shoot at.

I will also confess I am not sure how big on the Phaeron upgrade I am but I can see it being useful...especially because I could then give my Destroyer Lord Weave. Any thoughts on which is a better use of that 10-15 points. Open to any other thoughts as well...good, bad, ugly, or boiled water.

Sempiternal* Weave gives a character a 2+ Sv. Semipaternal Weave is your stepdad's toupee.

I don't usually like to go off on typos, but this one's been cracking me up every time I check this thread ;)

*It means "eternal and unchanging"

I always do that and try my hardest not to. I would edit the original post but don't want to confuse future visitors. I can't even fault my phone for this dang nab it....but maybe now I won't forget...hahaha

Since I have heard no objections about my annihilation barges looking different I am going with the second list with the swap of dropping Phaeron on my Overlord for Semipiternal Weave on my D-Lord. I am wicked excited for this weekend and appreciate the feedback as I feel slightly more serious with this list as it is not as chancey. Even my wonderful wife is helping out by polishing up and printing my Oubastet Dynasty army handout.