Ordered the new book yesterday

I bought the triple book set. I think it looks great but I hope the pages inside are all color and not black and white like previous editions.

I saw that they are going to have an open deployment, you can use any models you want without restriction up to the point limit of the game, I think that could make the game a bit more fun. Now you are not restricted to any type of model! Playing the game with all the new combinations this rule could bring about should be interesting!

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I question your definition of fun. Kidding. I like the idea for this since you can really make a narrative, but this will not be for regular pick ups, this will be for fun planned games. Almost amino apoc option.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Cultural norms. We are a driven society of practicing boot strap pullers.

To the point, it allows players to abusive for abusive purposes, or it allows a person to be creative for the story. The story is forged by 2 or more so it requires planning. I like option and more so because it was put in as an option. There are now ways to run genestealer cults.

Spacemarinejunkie,  In pickup games, I'm guessing the vast majority and for good reasons, will be looking for Battle Forged games.

If someone could write me a story or show me a story that depicts a certain battle and then wanted to try and play it out, I'd be down for it as long as its actually telling a story and not just an excuse for some guy to get his jollies off at my expense.

I'm as interested in historical rematches, even fantasy ones, as anyone; but it is fairly obvious when someone is just testing the bounds of reality with a list.  It's like the guy who comes to your D&D table with the custom Prestige Class who tells you his "Last DM allowed it".  I've run those games since 1984 and can't even count the unbalanced disasters people try to sell you.

In 10 years of 40K, Ive played like 5 games where we were ACTUALLY recreating book/story battles, underdog matches (and i invariably played the role of underdog).  The rest have just been guys trying to beat me into the sand for a W.  And that's okay.  But call it what it is.  

This "forging the narrative" veil some guys like to claim is what they're doing makes me laugh.  A Narrative about ASSAULT CANNONS?  Lol.  Show me the narrative you're talking about that you envisioned before we ever met, ever saw the terrain and ever saw the enemy army list at a tourney?  Exactly.  As Gary Washington used to say Assault Cannons is not a theme.

Saying you are forging one is hollow self justification most of the time.  It isn't that i don't think people legitimately want to do a fun story type battle because the Alter of War missions and the 5 or so "set battle" types I played were exactly that (and I do love those Alter of War missions from the Codex Supplements, especially the Faction specific ones).  It isn't that I'd ever be opposed to it, because I do dig role-playing a lot.  It's just that no one ever actually does it without a lot of pre planning.

One thing i could see OFCC doing (and probably only OFCC doing) is having Captains pre-matched.  And then the Captains could pick out story lines and work with their team on lists that would follow those story lines.  It would require a side board for the various matchups to allow for it and it could get pretty complicated, but its an alternative to just matching up the armies.  If the players know the actual story line they can kinda work together on the lists, and suggest changes to them.  I know thats probably only really possible if its a 1500 point game just because of the added models you'd have to bring for five different stories, but I mean...  It's kind of an interesting idea.  

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Americans aren't a race :p

Good points lord and I like the capt story idea but I think that would draw a smaller crowd so might be a Good Friday event with drinks after recanting the best tales through song.

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

I just want to say I don't think anyone posting in this thread is the 'w' guy. I for love this alternative edition and love the altar of wars coming out. I think this also shows gw potential plan to release alternative focs with play along missions.

• Like 1

Americans aren't a race :p

Good points lord and I like the capt story idea but I think that would draw a smaller crowd so might be a Good Friday event with drinks after recanting the best tales through song.

See how he dehumanizes Americans?  See?

But seriously...  who cares if it draws a smaller crowd?  If we focus entirely on that we could lose sight of the mission.  That being said, recounting the best tales via song is awesome.

Can you imagine a big bonfire and having people do like "Dramatic story telling" in character of the battles they were in?  HA!  It conjures to mind that scene in Conan the Barbarian...  You all know the quote:  "What is best in Life".  Hehehehe.  That would totally be awesome to capture on video camera.  It would be like the wise man of the tribe telling the story of the wind and the Buffalo or whatever.

But seriously...  who cares if it draws a smaller crowd?  If we focus entirely on that we could lose sight of the mission.  That being said, recounting the best tales via song is awesome.

If your focus is on the hobby, it actually matters quite a lot of it draws a smaller crowd. Games live and die by their players, and games that drive away players will fail eventually. 40K is not exactly a huge hobby to start with, and if it intentionally distances itself from a significant portion of its player base, that is not going to help.

• Like 1

If your focus is on the hobby, it actually matters quite a lot of it draws a smaller crowd. Games live and die by their players, and games that drive away players will fail eventually. 40K is not exactly a huge hobby to start with, and if it intentionally distances itself from a significant portion of its player base, that is not going to help.

None of which was being suggested.

Wow. I had forgotten about that. That was at the close of 4th? When Assault Cannons rended on hits. I still stand by it too. Lol.

It was one of your little catch phrases that I remembered, always.  Oddly, a lot of my bias's about lists in general came from things you said, like having 33% of your stuff as troops to avoid being called a cheeze monkey.  I remember you congratulating me on coming to the store with a tourney legal painted Tau army and always kind of thought you should at least paint it that far because of that.  

Obviously things have changed a lot in the game and some things have simply ceased to make as much sense as they did then.  Nonetheless, Assault Cannons is not a theme was one of my favorite Gary quotes.

No, because Assault Cannons are Heavy weapons they actually never get a chance to get into melee. In hindsight, they are very poorly named and someone in the Administratum will probably be blamed.

To be fair:  Im pretty sure several people have already died as scapegoats for that one and it will continue to be a "go to" excuse to get someone executed.  Its not like people keep track of these disciplinary actions and what they were about..