First games of TY

Brother Glacius

I finally got to toss down my models and rumble a bit. Got a few friends interested in it and we met up for some learning games. Started with the two player set forces for our first game. It went heavily one sided due to the small unit sizes and my opponents ability to only roll 1's. I'd fire on a unit, kill a tank because he blew his armor save, and then on his next turn, due to the small unit sizes, he'd fail the morale test and off the other tank went.

The second game was using two 100pt starter armies. I ran my Brits and my opponent was using his US. We rolled up an ambush scenario with him as the defender. Unfortunately, the US starter force puts four Abrams in one unit. So he put that unit in reserve as it was 56pt and he was allowed a max of 60 to start with on the table. So that meant almost all of his heavy armor was stuck in delayed reserves. As it was a learning game, we decided to go ahead and play to see what potential options he would have. I put a challenger and a chieftain unit in reserve to be a bit more fair. However, that meant I had two spearhead units and wow, that really let me push my force up the field. So after turn 1 I had one objective with troops on it and had heavy armor and a scouts closing in the one other. This forced my opponent to move units to contest the one objective and he deployed his ambushers to try and stop the heavy armor on the other. He managed to bail one tank and he did shoot down one of my helicopters (I goofed with my lynxes and had them move and shoot, but we let it stand). My reserves were not delayed and started to come in. I was able to shoot out the bradley's that were trying to cover the objectives and took out most of his hummers. However, he just didn't have anything that could stand up to my tanks and he nothing left that was survivable. I was able to capture an objective at the end of my turn 3. We spoke after the game about splitting up that big Abram's unit which would have allowed him to better defend the points, or have a very effective ambush squad. Still, we both had fun and learned about the game.

Did I use my spearhead units correctly? I was able to have them make a move after deploying them in my zone, which then allowed other units that I deployed to deploy within their 8" bubble as long as they didn't get too close to enemy units or objectives right? Also, the various dashes, as long as I stuck to open plain, I can use cross country dash right? So I had vehicles flying at 20" on the board. That was pretty insane compared to FoW. All in all, good times where had and rules were figured out.

• Like 1

Your description of how you used spearhead sounds correct to me. I play FoW but I think the spearhead rules is the same in both games. Cross country Dash at the price of not shooting that turn is excellent for moving across the table. 4th edition rules made it easier to quickly move around the table.

• Like 1