Changes in 7th edition

Threejacks

Do Datasheets inherently gain that bonus? Or do you mean something different by detachment?

Edited my response, basically data slates you get what you get, period. The main rules list two detachments and what bonuses units in them get as long as the whole army is organized into any number of detachments. Formations are considered a detachment as well.

How about ICs and infiltrate, any solid clarification on that ground?

I feel that it is resolved.  

Independent Characters and Infiltrate

An Independent Character without the Infiltrate special rule cannot join a unit of Infiltrators during deployment.

Joining and Leaving a Unit

An Independent Character can begin the game already with a unit, either by being deployed in unit coherency with it or, if the unit is in Reserve, by you informing your opponent of which unit it has joined.

Units that contain at least one model with this special rule are deployed last, after all other units (friend and foe) have been deployed. If both sides have Infiltrators, the players roll-off and the winner decides who goes first, then alternate deploying these units.

So, by those rules I believe this is what this means:

1.  A character cannot join a unit of infiltrators unless the character already has the rule.

2.  A character with infiltrate can be assigned to the unit pre game and then essentially transfer that rule to the unit.  

It's still not super clear, but it is clearer.  

• Like 1

Shrike and his unit should be able to. It is the way I see and understand it. If anyone wants to play me and have him infiltrate a unit of jumpers or whatever closer, I will allow it. People who want to knitpick a unit ability that has been around for what, 2 codexes and 3 editions, can take their shenanigans to another table.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that immobilization doesn't stop you from getting on the board anymore? I have (in previous editions), seen vehicles get immobilized while coming on the board and getting destroyed (or may be misremembering). Now you just place it as far on as you can and mark the position for wobbly model if necessary.

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that immobilization doesn't stop you from getting on the board anymore? I have (in previous editions), seen vehicles get immobilized while coming on the board and getting destroyed (or may be misremembering). Now you just place it as far on as you can and mark the position for wobbly model if necessary.

This was true in 5th edition, but in 6th edition there was a "minimum distance" clause for immobilization and difficult terrain checks that allowed you to move fully onto the board with a model if you otherwise wouldn't have been able to. I actually don't like the 7e as much (although admittedly it's an incredibly minor thing, as I've literally never had the situation where it would apply arise) because models hanging off the table is just stupid.

Not sure this is a change but I noticed it tonight. Barrage automatically switched to direct fire if there is LOS. This is not a big deal because you ALWAYS figure hits and cover from the center, and it always hits the side armour. There is no mention of a difference for firing directly or indirectly for these. Only difference for the fire mode is LOS and subtracting bs.

Not sure this is a change but I noticed it tonight. Barrage automatically switched to direct fire if there is LOS. This is not a big deal because you ALWAYS figure hits and cover from the center, and it always hits the side armour. There is no mention of a difference for firing directly or indirectly for these. Only difference for the fire mode is LOS and subtracting bs.

Not exactly.  

Barrage weapons can fire indirectly. This means they can fire at a target that they do not have line of sight to, as long as the target is beyond their minimum range (if applicable). When firing indirectly, the Ballistic Skill of the firer is not subtracted from the scatter distance; unless a Hit! is rolled on the scatter dice, the blast marker always scatters a full 2D6". If a Barrage weapon has line of sight to its target it can fire directly, even if the target is within its minimum range.

How that is worded implies to me that one gets a choice of firing directly or indirectly.

However, you are right about the second part.  Now, even when firing directly, all shots are side armor and the attack comes from the point of the blast.  

So, a barrage weapon firing directly is still firing indirectly for all intents and purposes just reducing BS.  That's a weird hybrid of 5th and 6th.

Also this:

ARMY LIST ENTRIES

The rules for your Citadel miniatures are found in a wide range of Games Workshop publications, such as codexes, codex supplements and dataslates.

Regardless of where this information is found, it is known as an Army List Entry. Each Army List Entry describes a unit of Citadel miniatures and includes everything you will need to know in order to use that unit in a game of Warhammer 40,000.

In some older codexes, the information for a single unit’s Army List Entry is spread out amongst different sections of the book. Taken together they describe, and are treated for all rules purposes as, a single Army List Entry. When using such a codex, each unit’s Faction is the same as its codex title. For example, all units in Codex: Space Marines belong to the Space Marines Faction, whilst all units in Codex: Chaos Daemons belong to the Chaos Daemons Faction.”

Seems to describe a whole new layout for 7E codexes. No more scattering of rules in sections all over the book and constantly cross-referencing. Instead, you have everything in the Army List section. That would be niiiiice. 

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

The more you have the more you have to have a plan so you don't monopolize time during the phase. Speed is probably more important than quantity in regards to the social expectations of the psychic phase.

• Like 2

Challenges and single Models: In 6th, when a Character in a Challenge was the only model on its side in the fight, only the dude he was fighting on the other side got to actually strike, and the rest of them just provided "moral support" re-rolls. As far as I can tell in 7th, it now turns into a circle stomp once you're down to just the Challenge on one side, and everyone still gets to Attack that one dude. Is that right, or am I missing something?

That's correct. Challenges no longer provide magical immunity from being punched by all of the other guys in the fight- they just make it so that you are always the last guy to take wounds. If you Captain goes into a fight with a Warboss alone, be prepared for a hurtin'.

Note that the opposite is true- challenging out Kharne or a Bloodthirster no longer makes it so that they can only kill a single model, as the wounds will 'spill over' to the rest of the squad once the challenger gets pulped.