40k 7e Discussion

Raak

at this point, not at all, except I do think Knights of any race, with be a thing, I think they'll be the new flyer

but keep in mind, I haven't played a game of 7th yet :D

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either.  It looks like all it does is codify the formations and the various supplemental factions in an official way which is weird because the only people who would care about that are the tourney folk, and GW doesn't seem to care too much about them otherwise.  It's like saying Forgeworld is legit and then not talking about all the Forgeworld stuff that counts as Lords of War.  Like, not mentioning them.  At all.  Despite selling them.  For this very purpose.

This book reads more like a framework of something else than a complete ruleset to me.  The fact that so much is left up to other books is kind of galling.  You can run lords of war now, from this other book.  They're not all in there, but a lot are in yet another book, which we weirdly don't talk about in our FAQ because… reasons.  You can keep your Aegis defense lines, from this other book.  Sure we put out seven or eight codexes without introducing any faction-specific fortifications since we brought them into the game and then yanked them from the main rulebook, but they're totally something we're interested in as part of the normal force org chart.  Knights?  Two pages of this other book, but ignore all of these other pages.  Detachments?  Coming soon!  Promise!

I think the general unhappiness I feel about this edition is that it does less to collect the stray rules that sixth did in its more comprehensive USR section, and rather distributes them to other places.  That's not really the purpose of a rulebook, IMO.

Codex creep is real, but it's outward, rather than upward.

• Like 3

All good things come to those that wait :D, it's your world Corey :) rock those drop pods and dreadnoughts :D

I'm actually considering an unbound army of dreads... Bray arth ashmantle and as many other dreads as I can fit... Really hoping I can sit down and fit 10 in haven't done the Math yet... 11 would be dope as that would be a full "squad" with a force leader...

• Like 4

even open topped assault delivery vehicles took a hit with this edition because flamers burn the unit within.  It's just a much shootier game now.

Seriously?! Why GW? Why do you hate DE so much? They are the killers of tyranids, which is the only army you despise more!

Or really any assult army that uses open topped transports as delivery systems.

Orks are the other one. But they at least have numbers, toughness, and (occasionally) good armor to mitigate it. Taking the nerf bat to arguably the worst army in the game is just silly.

*DISCLAIMER!* Grumpy old man rant!

It seems to me like GW has really screwed the pooch on this one.  The biggest thing they've had going for them competitively in recent years hasn't been their rules, gameplay, or models (though they may have done well in some of those areas), it's been the universality of the game and the strength of the world-lore.  Up until recently, you could go anywhere, find a game store, and get in a game of 40k.  You just had to decide how many points.  Now even the people who are trying to make the best of this edition agree that you will have to have a pregame discussion about what type of 40k you are going to play.  I think they just gave up a huge competitive advantage by releasing a rules set that doesn't function well 'out of the box' but requires modding by the community to get anywhere near a balanced game. The fact that most folks will be mixing and matching codeci to build their armies will further dilute the strength of the brand as folks lose the iconic associations with certain armies after years of playing the power-unit blendathon. Sure, right now some vets will be mixing and matching to build their custom fluff army, but what about the folks who grow up in this edition? (Think of the children!)  They're not going to bat an eye at seeing the most bizarre mixes of units and armies.

Madness I say.

Now get off my lawn.

*END OF RANT*

I know my opinion don't count for much, having popped smoke on GW some time ago. I just like to find things and complain about them. :)

• Like 1

To counter that, is there a better way for GW to serve the new AND existing players? I see these rules updates, detachments and the like as a way to get money out of folks who have existing armies and aren't buying every codex now. They have created a system that could work for both fluffies and the WAAC tourny players, if modded right.

In a way, allowing for the mods is a very new way of thinking. Think about it like Minecraft. The basic rules are there, but you can nearly do anything you want. It's early, but I feel there will be a pretty standard set of reasonable rules out in the community eventually. 

I like the direction, mostly because I don't trust GW to fix [big bad swear word]. I do trust most of the community in the NW to setup a decent enough system to enjoy a game.

I am itching to get a game in once the ork book is released. 

• Like 1

Back on topic, I really like this as the rules are there and actually much quicker to pre game out. Less gentleman's agreement and more written, now instead of aim low, you can go certain amount of warp charges and battleforged single combined arms etc. More troops has a benefit beyond just hope I have enough at the end everything scoring means so many things on the table then troops Clown score. Looks meh on paper so good in practice!

• Like 1

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.