Ork Shanties

fluger

For the Ork buildings as seen at TSHFT, I mixed sand, sawdust, and other junk in with some cheap craft paint and a little bit of white glue. You could even throw in some dirt. I just glopped this mixture on without priming and it has held up for almost two decades. The metal parts I usually hand painted black first, then drybrushed metal colors, then stippled or washed with reddish browns.

If you have any old customer loyalty cards or gift cards they are great to cut up for extra metal plating.

Jobz a gud 'un!

• 1 year later...

ORK SHANTY:  AV10  HP = 5   40 MODELS

Tumble-down: Ork shanties are made up of whatever was on hand and stuffed with bric-a-brac.  Weapons designed to penetrate hard targets cut through them like butter, but find no critical points to strike.  The normal bonuses for AP2 and AP1 weapons for rolls on the Building Damage Table are ignored.

Tottering: Ork shanties are made up of dozens of individual dwellings in a haphazard manner, destroying it all takes considerable firepower, or else weapons that clear large areas at once. Building Damage Table rolls made against an Ork Shanty are at a -1 (to a minimum of 1).  Blast,  template weapons, and ramming vehicles ignore this penalty and add +1 to the Building Damage Table roll.  Ordnance, primary weapons, and ramming vehicles with dozer blades add an additional +1.  

Fire/Access Points:  All windows and doors on the model count as both a standard fire point and an access point.

Battlements: All roof portions of the Ork Shanty count as battlements, but only grant a 5+ cover save instead of the usual 4+.

OK, I'm working on these a bit more now.  Going to REALLY try to get them done for 2016 OFCC terrain competition.  

Just want a quick look at the rules again now that it's been well over a year.  Do these still work for terrain?  

I just don't like the profiling going on here for orks. Who says they live in shanties? Why can't they hang out in opulent houses and mansions? Sure, when they go off to war, its all about the beast mode....but after a hard day's pillaging, I like to think that they go home, kick off their boots, pull out the New Ork Times, and just relax a bit. :)

• Like 1

On tottering is there a minimum? If not how does zero work? Due to the sheer number of openings should the no escape rule for open topped transports and templates apply?

I appreciate the change to the battlements like we discussed last time.

I loved playing with these that one time back in the day.

• Like 1

I added the to a minimum of 1 line.  Good point.  Not sure on the no escape rule.  It makes sense though.  Honestly though, it's already such a death trap for units in there if they are getting hit with blasts...

I'd say it has enough special rules already, don't apply the no escape rule. It was just a snap thought I had. If you ever decide to up it's armor (to like 11) then revisit the no escape thing. Iirc it only applies to templates (specifically that tear drop ones, the rest are blasts and different).

Writing that made me think he he it should go to eleven.

I appreciate how simple you've kept these! It is super tempting to write up fast to many rules and over complicate things, you took the gist of being cobbled together and held it to justa couple of special rules to espouse the idea without going over board.