Seventh edition breaking the fluff?

Only Chaos and maybe AM should have access to malefic daemonology. Marines should be able to summon legion of the damned or something instead of daemons. Eldar should summon some kind of spirit unit. There should be huge consequences for summoning daemons that just aren't reflected in the rules.

Marked units should only be able to summon units of the same god, and in exchange get free champs and standards. Undivided would have flexibility but not the bonuses. This would slow down the cheese of the summoning farm lists.

I've been waiting 20 years for Khorne to have good psychic defense. Dog collars don't count.

This is codex specific but the Champion of Chaos rule is ridiculous. Most Chaos leaders are self serving weasels, not suicidal dumbasses. My shotgun wielding cultist challenges you, Draigo! Let's ignore the 49 cannon fodder I brought with me and settle this like men!

AM should not have been rolled into the loyalist ally matrix. Chaos corrupts guard type forces on a regular basis, and have standing armies of such forces. Autogun cultists just aren't competitive compared to platoons. Traitor humans are one of the most common enemies for Marines in the fluff. The only other forces on that scale are Orks, bugs, and AM. Speaking of which, AM type armies sometimes employ Ork mercenaries or vice versa, and genestealer cults are a thing. Desperate / CTA just doesn't feel right.

I like all aspects of the hobby, and breaking the thematic elements bugs me. Part of the reason that I want balanced rules is to encourage fluffier lists without having exploitable comp rules or long pregame discussions.

What's bugging you?

• Like 1

I'd like to point out that the new allies thing actually makes the genestealer cult easier. You have a way in the rules to play it without the long discussion. Come the apocalypse most genestealer cults hide till the moment is right, then swoop in the Deployment spread is good for that. Short pre game discussion? Hey I play genestealer cults can this be a late invasio, meaningi can suspend the one eye open and Deployment restriction? Here is my list, I don't think it abuses the ability to deploy together.

I feel The come the apocalypse bit represents the nids coming to the aid of the rest quite well as the infiltrated human units rarely are full of them it is usually just important commanders and such so the more nid bits need to stay away a bit. One eye open could represent the cult members having to take a moment and turn a few more squad mates that were still human...

• Like 1

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Great thing about fluff is what Vilkee is saying. You can still forge the narrative with the rules. Now any two armies can be put on the table and function.

Am with nids and chaos are completely legal but just not optimized. so this could be in the early phases where some are still not turned.

Basically you go through each slot of the force org and roll randomly to see what unit you get.  

So for Example we would go to HQ, roll a die and see what random leader we got.  Kor'Sarro Khan.  Okay fine.  Then we go to troops.  Scout squad.  Great.  then we go to heavies:  Thunderfire cannon gets rolled.  okay!  And so on.

So you get kind of an eclectic mix of stuff and you then play against each other.  Its pretty fun.

• Like 1

Basically you go through each slot of the force org and roll randomly to see what unit you get.  

So for Example we would go to HQ, roll a die and see what random leader we got.  Kor'Sarro Khan.  Okay fine.  Then we go to troops.  Scout squad.  Great.  then we go to heavies:  Thunderfire cannon gets rolled.  okay!  And so on.

So you get kind of an eclectic mix of stuff and you then play against each other.  Its pretty fun.

What happens if one player rolls mostly armor and the other player only rolls anti-infantry units? I tried this method but I found that I greatly prefer traditional list construction. Both players can simply agree to use units that are not often seen on the table, based on collection availability.

• Like 1

What happens if one player rolls mostly armor and the other player only rolls anti-infantry units? I tried this method but I found that I greatly prefer traditional list construction. Both players can simply agree to use units that are not often seen on the table, based on collection availability.

You kit each unit and then roll again, so you do it before you game. 

This is just a fun way to play.  who really cares what happens after turn 1 starts?  Its not like theres any shame in the loss nor glory in the win.  Its just a chance to quaff root beers and kick some arse.

I think if you look how many times marines have turned to chaos, its not braking the fluff. Now on the flip side I wont pull demonology, as I dont walk with chaos.

I was talking to a space wolves  player last weekend at Flugers, he is going to run demonology and kit bash some giant wolfens and the like and call them spirits of Fenris.

• Like 1

I'm going to need someone to come to my house and show me how cool fluffy, highlander, or eclectic games can be awesome. Oh, and I have enough models for dartboard 40k for 8 armies.

Hey I could just use your collection then!  I can play any army pretty well so it doesn't really matter, especially with Dartboard 40K.

PM sent.  14th and 28th are, I think, open.  OCC has a cool charity tourney they are running on the 21st   In any event, PM me backi if you are fer serious.

• 4 weeks later...

Kay so I had fun doing up some dart boart 40K w ChaosGerbil. He fed me well too! I played Space Marines because i never do and he played chaos in a classic matchup of good v evil.

We rolled randomly for our forces one slot at a time. Ended up at 1700 points. We played Maelstrom Mission 4.

It was fun. My MVP was probably my unit of triple speeders w hvy bolters and typhoons. Didnt roll great w them but they got the job done. A close second was my scouts with khorsaro khan. That unit took it like a champ.

To be fair, fluff has the ocasional traitor to just about every army's psyker that decides to dip into the chaos powers. The perils table is probably more deadly than it's been in several editions, plus the daemonology has perils on any doubles, not just 6s, so odds of getting perils are pretty high, especially if you force them to throw lots of dice at a given power.

I've been waiting 20 years for Khorne to have good psychic defense. Dog collars don't count.

They don't have compelely horrid defenses on this front, though I agree it is still lacking.

As is, they can take that loci to grant adamantium will to their unit, board a throne of blood to extend the effects to units within 6" and then stack it with the dog collars. Karnak is also an IC, so you can add his special anti-psyker power to any other khorne daemon unit. The Warp Storm table has some potential for anti-psyker too.

On the CSM end, you really just have Karn, but his special rule really isn't lacking.

To be fair, I'm not sure that khorne specializes in psychic defenses, I think they just hate psykers...

I think Ordo Hereticus is the one that speciazes in anti-psyker - their options on that front are pretty lacking this time around. I miss my old power stake (2-handed power weapon that wounded psykers on 2s). They also had a few wargear items beyond just psychic hoods to impair enemy casters.

And don't get me started on the Culexus Assassin, which is just horrid over the last incarnation.