Necromunda, Squats, Terrain, Ho!!

Raindog

So, I set the habs blocks out to try in the sun. The models were still a bit tacky from being sprayed late last night. My porch has alternating sun and shadow as the day passe and today is not very hot, so I did not worry about it . I have never had problems with this before, but today, the tops warped as they dried.  The pieces are made to have playable interiors and working doors. I think part of the issue is I did not coat the under side of the roof (lids). The plastic curled towards the top. 

So, I sprayed the bottom side and decided the models with just be solid with out the playable interiors. I moved them to cure in the basement after assembling the pieces. 

• Like 1

• Raindog changed the title to Necromunda, Squats, Terrain, Ho!!
11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Good to see you working on stuff again! 

I have to admit, it is good to me creating again. 

It is fun to make Necromunda Terrain. it is like playing with Lego and mud. My daughter wants to help and said how cool the rusty pieces look. She remember going to Ordo on terrain day and help rusting up quonset huts back in the day. 

Now, that I back to work, I have forgotten how exhausting it is, but hopefully, I can keep up the energy. 

• Like 1

And I painted, one coat, 35 minutes of brown on three buildings. I am trying an over-wash technique with a large, sloppy brush with directional strokes. Then, I hit the cracks and grooves with a smaller brush. Tomorrow, if I have the time and energy, I will mix Mournfang Brown to the mix to see what happens. Boltgun metal si supposed to be dry brushed over that, so I am curious to see if this works. 

***OPINION WARNING***

Your leader is critical to your gang functioning.  I say protect them as much as you can afford. I would also avoid tooling them up with too much, avoid having them be your combat workhorse.  Use them as anchors for fire teams or launch points for combat squads. 

Juves are a mixed bag.  In a long campaign where they can actually accumulate XP they work out great.  But in a standard 7 week Dominion Campaign they never see their potential.  I generally give mine a pistol or sumsuch, and use them as objective grabbers and distractions. It's really optimistic to assume they'll actually do anything that requires a die roll.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My More Boys, Less Toys List

Chapter Master (115) - Trick Shot

Boltgun (95)

Circular Stone Saw (25)

Light Carace Armour (80)

Drill Master (85)- Dependable as Kin

Heavy Stubber (140)

Fighting Knife (15)

Mesh Armour (15)

Drill Kyn (50)

Autogun (25)

Drill Kyn (50)

Autogun (25)

Drill Kyn (50)

Autopistol (20)

Drill Kyn (50)

Autopistol (20)

Drill Kyn (50)

Stinging (10)

Digger (35)

Stubgun (10)

Digger (35)

Stubgun (10)

The list gives me two squats : A Digger and a Kyn.

If I dropped the Heavy Stubber for a boltgun, I could afford another Drill Kyn, but having one big gun seems attractive.

Its my understanding that the prospectors are similar to Goliath in the boys/toys debate and I play Goliath a fair amount. Conventional wisdom says that Goliath really want 7 bodies when founding a 1000 credit gang. More bodies are always helpful (especially if you get unlucky early in a campaign) but 7 boys and their toys seems to be the balancing point for most Goliath players. I haven't played Prospectors but my sense is that their advantage is quality over quantity. My sense is that you could drop both diggers or a digger and a drill kin to upgrade some gear. I don't really KNOW that is the right answer but its food for thought.

Here is a link to my starting Goliath roster, if it helps at all.
https://yaktribe.games/underhive/gang/re-cast.292844/

• Like 1

I don't think they have the prospectors fleshed out yet on Yaktribe. Yaktribe is a fantastic resource, unfortunately because it's updated/operated by the community it can sometimes be a loooooong wait before a new book gets implemented. I'm still waiting on the outcasts. I think it's taking extra long because the last two books have also been pretty heavy on the new rules!

• Thanks 2

On 9/3/2022 at 8:28 PM, Raindog said:

I went to Brehk’s last night and finished up this piece. It needs a clear coat over it, but the Coronavirus came for a visit last night and now I am isolating upstairs. No hobby time for me. 

E9D32DBD-0FD4-4E73-9264-A0F75883CBFC.jpeg

what a good looking little hab unit!!  I think i may have one just like it.

hoping you can get a hobby table moved into your iso chamber.  Feel better soon!

On 9/6/2022 at 10:01 PM, izak.lazarowski said:

I don't think they have the prospectors fleshed out yet on Yaktribe. Yaktribe is a fantastic resource, unfortunately because it's updated/operated by the community it can sometimes be a loooooong wait before a new book gets implemented. I'm still waiting on the outcasts. I think it's taking extra long because the last two books have also been pretty heavy on the new rules!

Its unfortunately updated by one guy...  so its a long wait.  Yeah, Malo doesn't have a chance of keeping up with the current release schedule.

https://game-datacards.eu/

this site has a good card builder for necromunda gangers and vehicles.  It won't track campaign stuff or do math for you though, so you're back to an old fashioned spreedsheet or pen and paper there.  Worth poking around in, though!  Credit to @Zee for tipping me off about it.

And, another hab unit is done. Yes, these are cruddy cell phone pictures. But, with the forest fires, the light is crappy. 

IMG_3797.thumb.jpg.8202906fdb088b1e65b49dc5ccea8acb.jpg

Remember when Citadel Colour, aka GW Paint, was S1.99? I do! The color is Ruby Red. I bought this paint pot sometime around 2000, and look! The paint is still good!IMG_3800.thumb.jpg.b817fd843fc997f009bf716d45b1021e.jpg

What do you think?

• Like 4

I am almost done with the third hab unit. This time, The contrast color is green instead of red. Dark Angels is the base with Lothen Green and Plague Flesh as the highlights. 

The rust on the building is never quite the same even though I try to use the same technique.

IMG_2783.thumb.jpeg.b563ef0ee79b4e40b0ad13e82f863d92.jpeg

This is the rust effect I am going for. It is what I see in the PNW.  I base layer with red jabbing down with a crappy, small flat brush. I mix in a lighter red. Then, I add orange to red. Then, I start orange layers and add yellow to the mix. I have rust effect and orange ink. The rust effects I picked up at Dice Age years ago. The ink is GW. Some areas are just ink. Some are rust effect. Some are both. I have been adding other washes for browns and blacks, even greens. I add the washes at different times to give the process a layered over time look. 

IMG_2784.jpeg

• Like 3