40K CRUSADE!!! The Unofficial <possibly official>, Thursday Night Crusade Starting September 22nd

Salty Monkey

It was really cool to meet you all yesterday, and I am more pumped up than ever to roll the dice. 

As there is a lot of record keeping in Crusade and whiteout sucks to own so here is a nice digital resource link to keep your army in check without scrambling to find a pen. All you need is google sheets and you are all set.

https://www.thebeardbunker.com/2020/09/40K-crusade-roster.html?m=1

• Thanks 4

Actually stoked to get all that paperwork together, haha.  Trying out Tempest of War was cool.  It does lead to some questions in Crusade.

Minorly, how to handle Agendas.  The selection step is missing in missions for ToW, but that could just get slotted before Create the Battlefield.

Second, the Crusade-specific missions have Crusade-specific rewards for the victor.  Playing ToW we'll be missing out on these.  Some examples are victor gets 2 RP instead of 1 or can Marked for Greatness on 2 units instead of 1.

Hey @Brother Glacius!  You may have already worked this out, but it helps me too:

9th Ed fights are, "Starting with the player whose turn is not taking place, the players must alternate selecting an eligible unit from their army and fighting with it."

While the alternation of units may seem counter-intuitive at first, it easier to understand if you split the fight phase's phases:  Fight's First, Normal Fights and then Fight's Last.  You do the above quoted rule, but for each phase of the fight phase.  This video that talks about the Fight First and Fight Last rules might answer the question best.  

The Core Strategem "COUNTER-OFFENSIVE" also interacts with alternating units to fight.  

Knowing which of your units to prioritize in the fight phases or when to use the interrupt can make or break results and is generally an unforgiving part of the game.  Spoken from many wrong choices.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, lamejosh said:

Actually stoked to get all that paperwork together, haha.  Trying out Tempest of War was cool.  It does lead to some questions in Crusade.

Minorly, how to handle Agendas.  The selection step is missing in missions for ToW, but that could just get slotted before Create the Battlefield.

Second, the Crusade-specific missions have Crusade-specific rewards for the victor.  Playing ToW we'll be missing out on these.  Some examples are victor gets 2 RP instead of 1 or can Marked for Greatness on 2 units instead of 1.

Great questions …we will be working on Rule set along with some house rule stuff to clear up using the ToW cards

i will hopefully have it posted by Sunday and obviously we can abridge anything we miss

also since we are going to be doing an escalation type crusade we are going to hit the “reset button “ and start fresh this Thursday 

last night was awesome but I think we can get a little better organized in the future 

keep any other questions coming, I know my wife thinks I’m perfect but I’m just a humble pirate and need as much as you peeps will give.

🏴‍☠️ 

• Like 2

As a new 9th ed 40K player, the only thing I can say that I'm worried about is running into competitive meta. I've been watching a bunch of games on youtube and that is the only thing that really makes me apprehensive. I know that its a very opinionated topic right? And I don't want to push my playstyle on anyone else. I just know that from what I have seen so far of competitive games, that army composition does not appeal to me at all. So I guess all I can ask is if that is the direction you are taking your army, find an opponent that is doing likewise.

I'm switching from necrons to knights because I'd have to build and paint way too much of my necrons for them to be better. I also have no idea how the knights will play yet. But I have them painted. I just wanted to give ppl heads up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

As a new 9th ed 40K player, the only thing I can say that I'm worried about is running into competitive meta. I've been watching a bunch of games on youtube and that is the only thing that really makes me apprehensive. I know that its a very opinionated topic right? And I don't want to push my playstyle on anyone else. I just know that from what I have seen so far of competitive games, that army composition does not appeal to me at all. So I guess all I can ask is if that is the direction you are taking your army, find an opponent that is doing likewise.

I'm switching from necrons to knights because I'd have to build and paint way too much of my necrons for them to be better. I also have no idea how the knights will play yet. But I have them painted. I just wanted to give ppl heads up.

Crusade is meant to be different from competive and the tempest of war plays different from tournament stuff

that said if you bring knights expect that people will bring “the heat” cuz knights can get pretty brutal if one isn’t ready

i know I’ll re-think things a bit if knights are on the board 😉 

Hence the reason I posted the info. I have zero experience with knights with any edition. I don't know how they play in 9th. I know at the 500pt level, I basically will have 3 small guys as that will be my only chance to contest and take objectives. If people think knights don't work in crusade, then I can go with a different army.

So here is the official outline and base rule set. If anyone has any amendments or questions please let us know.

We will be running a escalation style crusade. We will be using the Tempest of War card set to determine game missions.

We will be starting at 500pt games then ascending by 250pts every 2 weeks for the 500 & 750 point games we can have up to 2 games a week.

I will post the weeks points and game info on the game night forum.

We are using the standard crusade rules amended with the following house rules:

1- We are using points in stead of power level. each roster starts with 1000pts and if you use RP to increase your point pool it will be adding 100pts

2- Every time we advance a game point tier you will receive a free 250pts of points you can add to your roster. This is meant to balance out the bonuses we miss out on with not using the standard crusade missions.

3- Command points be as the standard 2021 rules:

500pt games: 3 CP start with 1 added at the start of your command phase

750pt @ 1000pt games: 6 CP start with 1 added at the start of your command phase

1250pt and up games: 12 CP start with 1 added at the start of your command phase

4- Agenda's can be chosen before the Primary Mission card is drawn.

5 - Table size is to be agreed upon by the players before the deployment card is drawn. You can choose to use the standard size recommendations in the rule book or you can do what ever size both opponents agree upon.

*Optional narrative fluff. I will be attempting to do a little fluff stitching to help give the games more of the campaign feel. This is not necessary for play but if anyone wants to participate it this please send me a quick idea of the force your running and why your here. Setting is below:

Setting is an imperial mining planet Taros 781, the lone planet in a far off system on the edges of the known universe.

The system, Taros Prime, consists of a modest size sun, ringed by an asteroid belt, followed by Taros 781 & its moon, then another wider Asteroid belt.

These belts, known as “the problems”, causes much grief for the imperial settlements on the planet, small asteroid strikes are common, though the larger ones can be spotted and dealt with easy enough. On top of the errant blast of stone the rare minerals of both rings cause many communication problems. The locals are forced to communicate with a Dark Angels cruiser outside of the furthest ring of asteroids which is then relayed out.

The planet is the base for mining of the asteroid fields as well as mining on the planet itself. The local bureaucrats are quite secretive about what it is exactly they are mining.

Most of the on planet work is done by the prisoners of the local penal colony on the planet and a small contingent of skilled civilians.

The population of the planet is small by most Imperial standards, civilian populations are scattered number only several million. Next to a small regiment of conscripts of the local imperial bureaucrats, the military forces tend to shift dependent on the needs of neighboring systems.

The system’s remoteness has kept many “outside” problems away. In fact it has been quite a safe haven in a troubled universe, but something stirs in the dark. Rumors abound of cults amongst the prison population. Strange sightings of objects in the asteroids or the occasional unknown craft noted in the outer reaches of the system and yesterday all communication with the Dark Angels cruiser has been lost. Scanners that work show the ship is still on patrol but all attempts to reach it has failed as of late.

Perhaps it’s nothing…"

• Thanks 1

Here is the thesis of my force:

“Of Fetid Tongue”

Chaos Space Marines (Creations of Bile) & Chaos Daemons (Nurgle)

Bile has made a deal with the putrid Prince of Nurgle, Gorbulix, The Grand Tender of Grandfather’s garden. What foul rewards Bile hopes to gain from the maggot kin is known only to him but he has sent a small force of his most dependable marines, The Scourged, to assist the daemons in befouling the planet and summoning an “Exalted One” from his prison deep within the planet.

• Like 3

I guess I will throw up the background of the second greenskins we got. 

Force name: Speed 'n' dakka krumpin'

Speed waaagh!  Orks of the freebooterz clan. 

The speedwaagh was created long ago by the infamous Zagboss Skargrim Ruknar while helping the mighty Ghaz. After it inspired a lowly ork warboss of a small Freebooterz group from the badmoons clans. Following in the footsteps of the mighty Zagboss, this lowly ork named "Volum' Dakka" took the meaning of both Dakka and speed literally. He began with hit and run tactics with loads of Dakka weapons for cover, very un orky like to his brothers, and would hit small groups of Imperial for loot before vanishing into nothing again. The small size of his speed Waaagh gives him the advantage of moving in and out of battle without much being found of where they came from or who they were. Though rumors in the ORKS of a Freebooter at the level of Kaptain Badrukk is on the rise. Some rumors even pass that Kaptain Badrukk is searching for the small speed waaagh to join the Jolly Roger. 

Only time will tell but currently Volum' Dakka is roaming the edges of Imperial space looking for loot and a small kumpin while he grows his Waaagh. Riding into battle on the infamous wartrike Dakka is known for his typical orky rage and rush in tactics, but here he differs is he will pull back from the battle once the specific "Loot" they were after had been taken. Using said loot to attract as many wandering orks to his cause as he can. His dreams of having the shinest of wartrikes only are furthered with every badmoonz who leaves the klan to join his Freebooters, bringing with them an abundance of teef for the spending and upgrading his small group of vehicles. He only hopes to some day taking on Ghaz or Zagboss himself for the title of the ultimate waaagh! 

Well that is the basics currently on the warboss from my group now known as Volum' Dakka. Yes if it isnt obviously I wanted to do a play on accuracy by volume. So I decided this was good enough lol. I will say that at 500 points, this is one SMALL speed waagh lol, but the boyz are ready!!!!

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Hence the reason I posted the info. I have zero experience with knights with any edition. I don't know how they play in 9th. I know at the 500pt level, I basically will have 3 small guys as that will be my only chance to contest and take objectives. If people think knights don't work in crusade, then I can go with a different army.

This is just me talking but I will say your knights will have a tough time at a 3 count. No matter what list they are against. I know from my experience, which is limited, in 9th edition is that knights are kinda the whipping boyz of the factions. They get beat down pretty easy because of the lack of units to spread the wounds around with. So I doubt anyone will build a meta to specifically counter them as Games workshops seems to have done that on its own. I will say no big deal for the knights on my vote, but you might shoot yourself in the foot with such a small force. Either way that is the point in the end. Its about fun who cares if you lose type of things. I mean my speed waagh is a vehicle waagh with only four vehicles and a warboss lol

• Like 1

"CHAOS DECTED IN SYSTEM. INQUISITION FORCES BEING DISPATCHED." 

::Order of the Budding Daisy received request::

"ORK WARCLAN REPORTED IN SYSTEM" 

::ADEPTUS ASTARES DEPLOYED; ULTRAMARINES DETACHMENT ROBOUTE'S ROSES::

The foul scum of chaos and xenos will be purged from this planet. For the imperium! For humanity! FOR THE EMPEROR!

• Like 3

In his quarters on Infant Annihilator, Master Dempstar contemplated a pict-screen of distant asteroids choreographed in twin rings.  The forgotten Captain of the Third Legion straightened.  A highlighted area in the Taros Prime mining fields overwhelmed Annihilator's augur array.  Clintius selected the sonic and vox filters of his cogitator and focused on the spinning rocks.  An aural void, dark and untuned, was within the penumbras. Disgusted by the unplottable silence, a cocktail of stimulants and sedatives flooded his armor.  

She assured him:  unknowable power, new sensations and glory for Slaanesh were behind shifting shadows in the belts.  His epicurean warband - the Sounders - would scavenge any fragments of alien technology, mining laboratories or Imperial artifacts littering the former battlespace.  As he took the bridge of Annihilator a psychic implant pointed the Idolator-class Raider deeper into the system.   He wove to a servant beginning the rituals to wake Deicide, a sullen Dreadclaw Drop Pod - the ideal vessel for looting in the jetsam.  A hypermodulated growl summoned Lodiero, "It's quiet, prepare the Noise Marines."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigMick37 said:

On a side note I wanted to mention I [big bad swear word]ed around with power level checking. Thank you for agreeing to the switch to points again. One 30 man mob of boyz...12 power. So basically I would be stuck to 90 boyz and one warboss without any additions  if I wanted to hit the 50 mark.

Just FYI, PL for boyz is actually 15 for 30. Although I'm not sure I understand why you would be stuck with 90 boyz? You only need one troops for patrol. I'm sure you could fill out 1000pt or 50PL inside of that detachment.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/wRzHkacP0NPxYL3d.pdf

27 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Just FYI, PL for boyz is actually 15 for 30. Although I'm not sure I understand why you would be stuck with 90 boyz? You only need one troops for patrol. I'm sure you could fill out 1000pt or 50PL inside of that detachment.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/wRzHkacP0NPxYL3d.pdf

Ok if it is 15 for 30, 15 x3, 90 boys 45 pl. Warboss is 5pl. So that is my point. If we are going to to be real just realize I am talking about a 500 point army, which would make it 25pl. So then for the 500 I have at max, one 30 man blob, one truck, one warboss. with 500 points, I can bring two vehicles including my war boss, some bikes and a jet. That is better for fairness as I am a speed waaaagh so bringing infantry blobs is pointless. 

Either way the point is I am either [big bad swear word]ed going a speed waagh with the pl or I am up with the average army at 500 points. My point of it all was the pl for orks really saps them on just general numbers. As you said you cant see why i am stuck with 90, but again 3x15 is 45, pl limit of 50 means i have 5 points to spare. Which my warboss costs 6pl at base and one upgrade pushes him to 7pl. That is the point. If i want to even have a chance at 500 point games i need to go off points. If i want to go 1000 points but at the 50pl I will be the smallest horde army you have ever seen and one kill rig/decent tank/a small squad of terminators will wipe me out without a problem in turn one. So I can bring bringing up vehicles. again each small 85 point vehicle is at least 5 and up for one. So if we range that out, that is 10 vehicles and no warboss, also the vehicles will be forced into the smallest detachment possible to keep the pl down. 

Now if you prefer me to be the ork squad everyone can beat up on to get levels, fine, but if you want it fair that is my arguement.

Just a side note on the very sheet you sent me it even says, 3 warbikes equal 4 pl, 4 warbikes 8 pl. See my point? Three war bikes 9 wounds total and no save on any shot with ap. It really again makes my guys weaker than weak because as we know orks are good only because they can bring a horde to any fight. If you want that changed then again I say, ok I'll be the weak army everyone can lock a win on, not to mention our other ork michael will be unable to every field his kill rig below 50pl as it is 11pl by itself but costs 190 points. It is that to me orks are very unbalanced in pl