40K CRUSADE!!! The Unofficial <possibly official>, Thursday Night Crusade Starting September 22nd

Salty Monkey

Not to get too stuck in with the side topic, but my point is why are you forced to have three units of 30 boyz in the first place? At 1000pts, you need three troop units for the eventual battalion detachment. But until then, a patrol will do fine in which case you only need one unit. And even that is false as you can go with a unit of grotz for cheap objective holding. So my end point is, you are choosing to spend 45PL on three full units of boyz when you are not forced to. Hence, the PL really isn't that bad. Heck, 10 boyz and a trukk is only 9 PL. That is where I am confused. You have more options than just 90 boyz.

It was not that I was forced to use anything sir. It was pointing out that 90 boyz equals 720 points, but in pl it is 45. So on a 50power level game that means the warboss would fill the pl or it would take 130 points and I would have 100 more to at least put in a truck.  Just trying say points is way more balanced unless we are trying to put in a competitive list. I am not bringing a competitve team. I am bringing the team that my lore of the crusade dictates which is a small group of vehicles with one troop slot filled at most. Which would mean I am doing an outrider detachement and as the points go up i will add another outrider detachement as a speed waagh is meant to be bikers instead of boyz.

So all that said I will again say, thank you to salty for allowing us to use points to make it more even.

• Thanks 1

"M'lord, astropath transmission received, designation omega black." intoned the page. The effort was noticeable as he waited for the command to continue.

"Very well, Helios, out with it."

"M'lord, we have been requested by House Raven to go to the Fanaticus sector. There have been reports of xenos infestation, as well as 'multiple' chaos incursions. As the closest noble house, we have been asked to make haste and retrieve any and all information from the heretics.....sir."

Lord Glacius contemplated. House Raven is desperate to find any information as to the location of Kolossi. As if chasing down every heretic in the galaxy is going to magically reveal what happened to that world. Still, they are heretics. And having House Raven in debt to them could prove useful.

"Page! Have the astopaths send the following....'House Glacius is most honored to respond to the noble House Raven's request. For the Emperor and the blessings of the Omnissiah. Lord Avros.' "

"Oh, and Helios....ready the hounds....we go to war."

• Like 3

Floof:

19 years ago...
Magos Vyrsa of the Hollow Forge bolted down the hallway, clutching her prize closely to her chest.  Foolishness, she thought, with great disdain.  The universe held so many secrets and so much potential, yet Forge World Lucius squandered much of it with blind devotion to the orthodox teachings of Mars.  Such foolishness that relics like the Solar Flare she held were used so... unimaginatively.  Tech Priests were known for their capacity for ancient knowledge and their devotion to the Omnissiah, but were rarely blessed with the drive and impulse that Vyrsa posessed.  She swore she would demonstrate what arhcheotech could really do before casting one last glance behind her and climbing into the waiting shuttle.

---

6 years ago...
Magos Vyrsa worked diligently on her patient.  It had been... fortuitous in its way.  Luck was something she had been willing to dismiss as the combination of all events in a blessed calculus, but she was almost willing to entertain the idea of something exerting its will.  She had happened across a defense cohort, still guarding a Stygian outpost.  The surrounding fields were littered with the remnants of a recent battle with an Adepta Sororitas patrol sent to destroy the heretical research being conducted there.  The dead were of little use to her, but the wounded.  Oh the wounded were such a blessing, she thought as she grafted the wargear onto her last of her fresh  Sororita Mechanicus Skitarii force.

---

1 year ago...
Magos Vyrsa idly tapped a stylus against where her mouth had once been.  The stylus itself was equally irrelevant as she could interface directly with the dataslate before her but the motion was a long honored motion humans had been doing for millennia.  She hoped it would help her with the puzzle that lay before her.  The Xenarites of Stygies VIII had taken an interest in noctilith.  The substance was yet another squandered opportunity the Imperium had largely declared as alien and heretical that her people at Stygies VIII had found much more worthy of research.  The only question was: where could she find any?

---

Taros Prime loomed in the viewport.  According to her research, noctilith could be found in these asteroids, perhaps even xenos archeotech.  Luck had followed Magos Vyrsa again, as the Dark Angels cruiser orbiting with the asteroids had gone silent.  Without having to negotiate with Imperial forces or masquerade as a Lucius detachment again, scavenging Taros 781 shouldn't prove difficult.  Still, something must have happened to the cruiser. She was glad of her Sororita Mechanicus, but couldn't help tapping her stylus in calculating anticipation.

• Like 3

Also I agree with points feeling better to build with.  When I was trying to build 1k, I ended up at 930 or something stupid because PL was so limited.  That and adding a couple more models to a unit but not hitting the bracket feels awful.

Also just a rules check:  buying warlord traits and relics: spend the RP AND the CP or just the RP and you can keep the CP?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SixCoal said:

Also I agree with points feeling better to build with.  When I was trying to build 1k, I ended up at 930 or something stupid because PL was so limited.  That and adding a couple more models to a unit but not hitting the bracket feels awful.

Also just a rules check:  buying warlord traits and relics: spend the RP AND the CP or just the RP and you can keep the CP?

Just the RP 🙂

I have to say, I'm really excited about this. I have absolutely no idea how the army is going to play or work, but I've had a lot of fun reading through the IK book and figuring stuff out. I actually changed from what I had originally thought of for my house and everything.

I had almost gone chaos knights, but I don't have those built yet. But if this army is fun to play, those guys are going to be put on the assembly table next.

I've been doing a little more research on the overall playability of IK and it seems they have fallen on the weaker side as opposed to the strong side. I also know that just bad matchups can happen. Here's hoping for good games regardless.

• Like 1

Deep within the mines of Talos Prime, an ancient danger has been awoken...

There have always been rumors of a Genestealer Cult on Talos Prime, though any who wish to keep their heads on the shoulders are quick to remind you that these are just rumors. A Genestealer Cult would be bad for business, not to mention the wellbeing of anyone spreading false rumors of a cult in the sector.

The recent conflicts in the area have proven however that many of these so called rumors may be more fact than fiction, and with the completion of The Ancient One's hibernation, one more rumor is soon to become truth. 

Soon the day of Ascension will be upon us, and all the downtrodden workers of Talos Prime will be uplifted, to live among the Star Gods. Until then however, the cult slowly grows, biding its time. Waiting...

• Like 4

--FLUFF week one--

Governor Brakkus walks into the prep room, dreading how this report will go. The past months have proven more and more dire and The Regent of this sector will not be pleased.

"Thaos please enthrall me with all the 'wonderful' news I get to tell the Lord Regent this month" He said in a tired, almost beaten voice

Thaos, first assistant to the Governor begins his report:

"Our mining efforts from the asteroid fields are up slightly but on ground have fallen 28%. The Ork presence in the southern wastes have increased their raids on the mining operations in that region and they have all but closed down progress."

"On top of that the miner revolts have increased and more reports of mutations amongst the miners have also increased. The cause is undetermined at this time"

Since we still have not been able to reach 'The Endeavor", I've asked the Ultra Marines that have recently arrived to check the ship, we are awaiting word" "Since we lost contact with the Dark Angels, more unknown sightings of ships have been reported in system and amongst the asteroid fields but this is still unverified. Among these reports is the sighting of a Mechanicus ship that for some reason has not filed landing procedures, but this is also unconfirmed."

"The local populace and outlying settlements are running thin on supplies and thus production in all areas is down..."

Govenor Brakkus interrupts with a sigh. "Is that all?"

"Well... the sewage problem in the prison colony has worsened. A rather serious type of pox is running rampant and the prison labor force has dwindled significantly."

Thaos, seeing the governor face begin to lose hope quickly adds "On a good note, sir, reinforcements have arrived! Several chapters of Marines have sent forces to assist, along with small contingents of the Costodes and Imperial Knights have also arrived. They have already begun patrols and will hopefully start restoring some order to the outer lands"

"Well this report is not going to be good..." Brakkus mumbled "I hope our new imperial forces are up to the task, but prepare for the worse. Quarantine the Prison Colony and send word to all forces to proceed without restraint. With luck and the Emperors will, we might be able to get through this but for now let the 'ass chewing' begin"

"The new relay is up and transmission is ready"

Brakkus, straightens himself up and enters the broadcast booth, an angry voice screeches at him as the blast doors shut.

Week 1: 

500pt games this week. Up to 2 allowed for exp & rp

• Like 6

A bunch ov humies tried to attack us at our own camp but ol Bodgrot Bonesmasha and da boyz made sure we krumped dem gitz! Dis is our land now boyz. Bodgrot sez wez we aint dun yet with the humies. Boss sez der iz more fighting soon. 

"Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Do we roll for battle traits or are they chosen?

Also, I saw that under RP Warlord Trait, that no model can have more than one Warlord Trait. Does this include ones given by other means, such as relics or stratagems?

So relics and warlord traits are two different things, generally you're limited to one of each per character model.

There are a few exceptions that give warlord traits to squad leaders or dreadnoughts, or named characters which receive multiple warlord traits, but those are very specific and worded to be exceptions.

There's no method to allow a single model to take two relics.

There aren't any relics that provide warlord traits or vice versa.

In crusade you use requisition points, instead of cp or stratagems, to provide warlord traits and/or relics but they still must adhere to all the rules given in the core book or your codex. ie the summary above.

Especially in a casual game setting like our escalation crusade, don't read too deep into the legalese or try to infer a bunch of "What If . . . " interpretations. Those hours are better wasted by the internet spawn.  😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brother Glacius said:

Do we roll for battle traits or are they chosen?

Also, I saw that under RP Warlord Trait, that no model can have more than one Warlord Trait. Does this include ones given by other means, such as relics or stratagems?

Generally you roll for battle traits unless you and your opponent agree that a unit did something that would grant it a specific bonus based on the course of your game (ie: your unit killed a particularly tanky vehicle and now they've got a battle trait that helps take down vehicles).

Take my info with a grain of salt though as this crusade might be running it differently.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tao Tsê-Mung said:

In crusade you use requisition points, instead of cp or stratagems, to provide warlord traits and/or relics but they still must adhere to all the rules given in the core book or your codex. ie the summary above.

Especially in a casual game setting like our escalation crusade, don't read too deep into the legalese or try to infer a bunch of "What If . . . " interpretations. Those hours are better wasted by the internet spawn.  😉

My point is in Crusade, under the RP for giving Warlord traits, it says a model cannot have more than one. So is that a blanket rule in Crusade games? Does it override faction specific relics and stratagems that can provide an additional warlord trait to a model? The whole context here is within Crusade.

No model can have more than one Warlord Trait and the same Warlord Trait cannot be included more than once by any model in your Order of Battle.*

But I know there are relics and stratagems in the game that can give a model more than one warlord trait. So does this mean you simply can't use those relics and stratagems? or are they exceptions to the rule above?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

My point is in Crusade, under the RP for giving Warlord traits, it says a model cannot have more than one. So is that a blanket rule in Crusade games? Does it override faction specific relics and stratagems that can provide an additional warlord trait to a model? The whole context here is within Crusade.

But I know there are relics and stratagems in the game that can give a model more than one warlord trait. So does this mean you simply can't use those relics and stratagems? or are they exceptions to the rule above?

I think it is a blanket rule, since there is no limit on how may characters can have relics.

Kinda build in balance

@Brother Glacius You've answered the question quoting the Requisition.  Since the Warlord Trait requisition specifically says, "No model can have more than one Warlord Trait..." even if you had a Stratagem that lets you have a second trait on a character you’d still have to use the Requisition to give them a second one, and it prohibits more than one.  Same for relics.

• Like 2

Thanks for the answers. I know I've seen somewhere a relic that adds a warlord trait. Maybe it was a crusade relic and therefore was designed to bypass that limitation. 

I consider myself a rules purist. I like knowing the rules and following them. That allows me to play a better game and makes sure that I don't screw up for good or ill. I'd hate to get a rule wrong and screw over my opponent in a game. That sucks. So the better I know the rules, the better I can be sure that my opponent gets a fair game from me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Brother Glacius said:

Thanks for the answers. I know I've seen somewhere a relic that adds a warlord trait. Maybe it was a crusade relic and therefore was designed to bypass that limitation. 

I consider myself a rules purist. I like knowing the rules and following them. That allows me to play a better game and makes sure that I don't screw up for good or ill. I'd hate to get a rule wrong and screw over my opponent in a game. That sucks. So the better I know the rules, the better I can be sure that my opponent gets a fair game from me.

if there is a 'crusaded specific' relic that allows multiple WL traits/relics it would be allowed.

But it would have to be a Crusade Specific rule/advancement,  otherwise it is limited to one WL and one relic per character

• Like 2