2k IG list updated

fluger

OK, with the advent of the new maelstrom of war missions, I see that having speed is really important.  I also want units that can threaten vehicles.  Because of that, I'm seriously considering Rough Riders.  I tried out a slightly different list last night against PourSpelur and used two units of 7.  I think that was a bit much, but having a fast unit that can threaten quite a few things is definitely nice.  

Commissar Yarrick: 145

(Allied) Master of the Forge (Salamanders CT): 110
Conversion Beamer

(Allied) Ordo Xenos Inquisitor: 85
Force Sword/Divination, Rad Grenades, Liber Hereticus

Ministorum Priest: 25

Infantry Platoon: 375
PCS: 35
Mortar
Squad: 70
Lascannon
Lascannon
Lascannon
Lascannon
20 Conscripts: 60

Infantry Platoon: 415
Mortar
Power Axe, Meltabombs
Squad: 75
Flamer, Power Axe, Meltabombs
Squad: 75
Flamer, Power Axe, Meltabombs
Squad: 80
Meltagun, Power Axe, Meltabombs

(Allied) 5 Space Marine Scouts: 55 
Bolters

5 Rough Riders: 55

5 Rough Riders: 55

2 Leman Russ Eradicators: 280
Multimelta Sponsons

2 Basilisks: 250

2 Griffons: 150 (Imperial Armor)

2000 pts

If I successfully cast a level 2 power, my opponent will need to throw around 12 dice to stop it on average.  So, they'd have to have about 8ML worth of psykers to have a reasonable amount of dice to stop me.  Do I really want to get enough ML to get through that?  I don't think so.  

Now, if I'm trying to cast maledictions and the like against an enemy who has a pskyer or the like, that'd be a waste of time.  

On average, yes, but since you have only one psyker, what they're gonna do is just toss everything they have at it, and often enough they will succeed. Between failing your own casts, Perils, and enemy Denies, you're going to be missing out on Prescience a LOT.

I feel like something else could fill the Rough Rider job better, especially since you've got Marines and Inq allied in already. Chimeras, Sentinels, Attack Bikes, and Bike squads all jump to mind as superior units in terms of getting to an objective on short notice, and most of them will be of comparable price. Heck, Chimeras would have Objective Secured if you took them as transports for your PCS or Infantry squads.

I was actually on that same tack.  Rhinox was actually what I was thinking instead.

Drop the rough riders and get a Rhinox and a flamer and swap the mortar for a flamer on the PCSes.  

Adding two more vehicles is good and the twin-linked autocannon is certainly helpful for the anti-tank that I'm looking for.  

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Commissar Yarrick: 145

(Allied) Master of the Forge (Salamanders CT): 110
Conversion Beamer

(Allied) Ordo Xenos Inquisitor: 55
Rad Grenades, Liber Hereticus

Ministorum Priest: 25

Infantry Platoon: 375
Mortar
Lascannon
Lascannon
Lascannon
Lascannon
20 Conscripts: 60

Infantry Platoon: 405
Mortar
Power Axe, Meltabombs
Power Axe, Meltabombs
Power Axe, Meltabombs

(Allied) 5 Space Marine Scouts: 55 
Bolters

5 Rough Riders: 75
2 Meltaguns

5 Rough Riders: 75
2 Meltaguns

2 Leman Russ Eradicators: 280
Multimelta Sponsons

2 Basilisks: 250

2 Griffons: 150 (Imperial Armor)

2000 pts

So I dropped the psychic powers on my Inquisitor (already something I was mulling over) as well as two flamers out of the fighty blob (no flamers is no big deal since I should be getting counterattack anyway), and gained 4 meltaguns on the rough riders. Now they have a 24" threat range for their guns and an 18" SUPER MELTA threat range. Sexy.

I assume when you say Rhinox you mean Taurox, because this ain't Magic: the Gathering. :P

LOL, yeah, though I think I was thinking of Ogre Kingdom Rhinox riders.  In any event, if I DID go that route, it'd be the exact same list sans rough riders, and changing the PCS squads to have 2 flamers and 2 meltas and riding in Tauroxi.  More of a standard route that way I think.  

However, I want to give the Rough Riders a shot.  

• Like 1