Airbrush

1000xYes!!!

I just airbrushed my new Terran battleship and starer set in the last 30 minutes.  First base coat of Somber Grey.  I had primed these last night before bed.    

2014-06-07-3310-FirestormArmada.JPG

I used a Badger Krome and my small HomeDepot compressor.

I make my own primers now too!  Which is so easy, I'll never buy a can of spray paint again.  

I'm not particularly good at highlights and glowing with my airbrush yet, but "Practice Improves Performance".

2014-05-23-3243-FSA-Terran-WIP.JPG

All I've done is read and watch youtube videos to get this far.  I'd love to spend some time painting with someone who actually knows what they are doing!

• Like 1

I have the El Cheapo Supreme and :wub:love :wub:  it! I use it for; basecoating, highlighting basecoats and bigger fades. Can't recommend it highly enough. Warning, there is a learning curve. You WILL get frustrated a couple times. Keep plugging away at it, don't have unreasonable expectations at first don't be afraid to experiment. Good luck!

• Like 1

This Master compressor is the best I've found for the money but the airbrush it comes with sucks.  The fixtures are for an Iwata or Iwata knockoff brush, so buy adapters to fit the brush to compressor if you don't get an Iwata brush.  As far as the brush itself I've heard Badger is good.  Paasche is the one I have but it's more expesive than Badger and not particularly better I don't think.

Strain your paint by pouring it through pantyhose into the pot.  This will save you hours of clogging headaches.

There is a lot of fun trial and error with using an airbrush. I have a nice badger patriot and a badger sotar 20/20. One of the things i've found is liquitex airbrush medium is a life saver and really helps to mix your paints 50/50. If you want to get even more advanced get some liquitex soft body paint and mix that 50/50. The paint is amazing and works great out of an airbrush. 

Chime in time:

A note about needle sizes.  They generally come in 3 sizes, Fine (.2mm), Medium(.3mm), and Large(.5mm).  Start with the medium.

The first brush I ordered was this Master Brush G233 from Amazon: $40

51i7SgSrteL._SX425_.jpg

I've been happy with it.  It's a knockoff but works just fine.

I then ordered a Badger Sotar 2020 with a fine needle.  The fine is just too small for acrylics, I have constant clogging issues.  I also lost the spray tip and it was $30 to replace.  It's build quality is much better than the Master, but too be honest I'd go with a cheaper brush to start with and use the extra money to get your incidentals, like thinner, cleaner, needle lube, etc.

I just ordered this Master G34 with a Medium Needle: $30

413NKFe1n5L._SX425_.jpg

The cup is smaller than the G233 and hopefully easier to clean.

If I was making a living with my airbrush I'd absolutley go with a Badger, but these cheap Masters seem to be OK. 

As someone who does a ton of airbrushing: invest in airbrush paint. I've done the whole "thin out GW paint, use that" thing, and although it works, its a massive pain. GW paint, short of the "basecoat" paint, loves clogging my airbrush. Also, stuff like Minitaire tends to be cheaper by volume than the GW stuff as well. 

Also, invest in a good compressor. It'll improve your quality and consistency, and really adds to the enjoyment when you don't have to stop every 3 minutes to let the pressure build back up. 

Anyone willing to give an airburshing class at WoW one of these weekends? I just got my first airbrush and compressor, but I still need a cleaning kit. I would be so grateful if someone could show me the ropes.

You don't need a cleaning kit.   Be careful of cleaners that contain ammonia (corrosive).  Q-Tips and paper towels are all you need.  The pipecleaner brushes can damage the airbrush if used too vigorously. 

I had heard that about ammonia before.  I understand that it depends on the type of airbrush and whether there are rubber seals in the brush.  Neither of my badgers, nor my old no name airbrush have those seals.  

The main guy at Badger says he uses ammonia based cleaners:  http://youtu.be/tsW-vN0_lHw?t=58m15s 

Also, here is an older post on airbrushing:

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/19387-90-minutes-of-badger-airbrush-knowledge/?hl=%2Bbadger+%2Bairbrush 

• 2 weeks later...