Warhammer 40,000: Indexhammer - some questions?

Andrewgeddon

So I've been chatting with a few people about "Indexhammer;" playing 40K using the 8th edition indices and just the the core stratagems that were available when 8th edition was launched.

I'm have the 8th Ed rulebook and some of the indicies, but I played very little 8th. I'm wondering if anyone who played more of it might recall:

-Reading through the rules, was the only requirement for army construction that the unit had to share a faction keyword, including superfaction keywords? From my reading of the rules, you can freely mix CSM and Demons in the same detachment because they both share the Chaos keyword. Was the "they must share a faction keyword OTHER than the superfaction keywords" something that was added down the line, or am I missing it?

Yes, when the edition launched there was no distinction between “super-factions” and “factions.”

The intent was to make it easy for players to splash a few Daemons into the Chaos Marines list, have a couple of units Space Marines help out their Imperial Guard, etc. 

But, of course, the “competitive” players quickly created the non-sense that was Imperial Soup. Finding the absolute best unit for each FOC slot from across all 24,601 Imperial factions and only using that. So you had armies that were drawing from twenty different factions… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slight problem with Index-hammer for me: my army doesn’t exist! 

Index only has rules for Custodian Guard, basic Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought, and Venerable Land Raider… Because that was their entire range at the end of WH40k 7th Edition. They didn’t even have an HQ yet.

16 minutes ago, Ish said:

Slight problem with Index-hammer for me: my army doesn’t exist! 

Index only has rules for Custodian Guard, basic Venerable Contemptor Dreadnought, and Venerable Land Raider… Because that was their entire range at the end of WH40k 7th Edition. They didn’t even have an HQ yet.

I don't know the Custodes codex very well, but for units that came out after the Indicies, I would say that using their Power Levels and adjusting any army abilities that reference army rules that aren't in the Indicies should make them fairly easy to plug into Indexhammer? Adjusting as needed? Goal for me is to have fun pushing around models without having to deal with all the bookkeeping or bloat, totally down for find something that works for people 🙂

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

Or just flat out run them using their 8th Edition codex, which lacked the silly ka’tah stuff altogether and ignoring most of their stratagems…

Oh duh, I guess they did have an 8th ed codex, huh? lol. Yeah, I would be fine playing against that. I would say to keep in consistent with the Index armies, you would have to cut out some of the stuff that the Index armies don't have:

-Stratagems
-Subfactions
-Warlord Traits and Relics

7 hours ago, Ish said:

8th Edition Custodes didn’t have subfactions, had very little in the way of relics and traits, and the only stratagems I ever used were re-rolls, tanglefoot grenades, and the deep strike option. Because stratagems annoy me.

So, yeah, good to go.

Nice! Let me know if you'd like to get a game in. I'm normally good for Sunday at Ordo (though not this Sunday, my kid's friend is having his birthday party), or I can usually make a Saturday work. I'm in Vancouver, but totally down to come to Portland 🙂

EDIT: Looks like I actually have a game lined up for Saturday, but happy to schedule something for an upcoming weekend!

• 1 month later...