Space Wolf Rumors (from Storm Claw)

pretre

From Warseer gwharsh41
I took some time staring at the unboxing video, here are my findings on the new SW.

So there is a video of some unboxing of stormclaw [1] . In the video, the guy flips through the pages a bit, this shows us the points, upgrades and special rules on the units.

Here is what I gathered from it all.

It seems that SW now have standard Sgt upgrades. I am assuming this is 10pt, like other space marine chapters. Even wolf guard seem to have this, though the Sgt upgrade has nothing aside from (character) different from normal WG.
* Grey hunters seem to remain at the same point cost. They have the same special rules. Their wargear however I cannot really tell. It seems like they still have the same loadout. All come with CC wep and BP, one also has a bolt gun, so they may all have the bolter and just replaced it with special equipment. Seems like they dont have the CSM style "1pt bolter", as the unit is not a strange number and only 1 shows to have a bolter.
* Blood claws again, basing info on the 10pt sgt upgrade, blood claws are now 3pt cheaper. Lost the crazy leadership test or no shooting and gained RAGE!!!
* Wolf Guard with the loadout used in the scenario are 15pt less than wolf guard used in the current box. Combine that with the Sgt upgrade and we are looking at 5pt less per model, most likely taken out of the TDA cost. Seems to put us on par with SM TDA for cost.
* Wolf Lords Dramatic cost decrease, it is hard to compare to SM dudes as orbital bombardment and all, plus wargear differences. I can say that a Wolf lord with frost axe and belt of russ is currently 20pt more than this dude. This guy has furious charge and a bonus weapon skill to top him off. This also does not include the saga, as they have drastically changed it seems.
* All units in the box have ATSKNF, Counter attack and Acute senses (really on acute senses? Maybe we get some more outflank possibilities..)
* Frost axes and swords remain unchanged in profile.
* TDA for SW can now deepstrike, as the wargear section states so.
That is all I could gather, it might all be right, it could all be a horrible ruse from GW. Either or, I like the way it is heading. Blood claws might become usable! Considering that 15 of them is possibly only 180pt and will put out 60 attacks, that ins't all too shabby. Especially if you can prescience them! I wonder if the jump/bike variants will be more than 3pt off.

As I've said before, I'm not a huge fan of Blood Claws for a number of reasons, some of them not Rules-dependent, but it still does feel kind of weird to run SW and never use them. Hopefully they'll get to a point where they're worth taking, but my preferred GH-centric approach is still viable.

If GH do have the same loadout and special Rules, they seem worthwhile to me at the same price. It's mostly the more specialized Units in the Dex that really need help, and hopefully the Termis and Lord are indicative of the changes for other things.

Yeah. I haven't run Blood Claws since third edition basically (when you could take a bunch of Power Fists and hide them in the unit. That was hilarious). Having them be viable again would be cool.

I think SW are doing pretty okay right now. A little tinkering and they'll be good to go.

Space Wolf Rumors - July 2014
via Voice of the Chaos Gods on Faeit 212
new space Wolves Codex content:

Sagas
They are now Warlord Traits like other armies with the difference that you can choose them without to roll dices

HQ Units
Like 3rd Edition; One HQ per 750p

Logan Grimnar
Lord of War, may take Two Warlord Traits, make Wolf Guard Packs to troops

Ragnar Blackmane
When all Units in the detachment take Drop Pods as dedicated Transport, Ragnar will be free. Your Army may only take Unites with an Drop Pod option.

Canis Wolfborn
No longer in the Codex

Harald Deathwolf
New Character, replace the generic Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf, make Thunderwolf Cavalry to Troops

Bjorn the Fell-Handed
Now a Lord of War, becomes "it will not die". When Bjorn is destroyed every Space Wolves Unit within 12" becomes furious charge, fearless and hate the unit, charakter or vehicle that destroyed him

Wolf Guard
Pack Leaders are now entries in the Units like Squad Leaders in other Armies. Still no teleport for Terminators

Grey Hunters
Close Combat Weapons are now a option that replace the Bolter, 5p cheaper

Blood Claws
3p cheaper

Long Fangs
Can't take Rhinos as dedicaded Transports

How are bloodclaws not viable? They are still basically marines right, with maybe slightly worse stats or some such? 40K is just ridiculous with how much importance is placed on point value. "See here, the unit's average DPS vs MEQ is .003 less than this other unit, therefore they should never be taken..."

Every time I try to think about getting back into 40K, reading the forum always ruins my enthusiasm. :)

How are bloodclaws not viable? They are still basically marines right, with maybe slightly worse stats or some such? 40K is just ridiculous with how much importance is placed on point value. "See here, the unit's average DPS vs MEQ is .003 less than this other unit, therefore they should never be taken..."

It isn't that they aren't viable. You can field them, of course, but Grey Hunters are better than them in almost every circumstance right now.

BCs have less Weapon Skill, more attacks, no bolters and can't shoot unless they have a babysitter.

GH hit more (WS), have the awesome Wolf Standard and Mark of the Wulfen, have Bolter and BP/CCW and are cheap as all hell.

It's like if Grots cost the same as Boys. Why would you ever take Grots?

Every time I try to think about getting back into 40K, reading the forum always ruins my enthusiasm. :)

Stay out of the forums. :) If you think we're bad, btw, Try Dakka. I get put off 40k all the time over there.

I use BSs to tone down my SW lists but still be effective.  I'll put a full pack of 15 in a LRC with a WP, you're still hitting on 4's, with preferred enemy.  Is it awesome? nope  Is it point efficient? nope  But I find the unit fun and entertaining :D

And remember BCs are the SW scouts, they need to develop enough discipline to stand and fire a bolter, that aggressive....not unlike me playing LoL ;D 

• Like 1

The issue with Blood Claws is that they cost the same as a Grey Hunter which is arguably too cheap at 15 pts.  

12 pts for Blood Claws is TOO low IMO.  13 pts is about right for them.  I could see dropping them in points to 12 if they lost objective secured.  Grey Hunters should be 16 pts at least.  

I find most forums this way, to be fair. People tend to be more negative. Theory time; those of us who frequent forums are more likely to be more interested and/or passionate about things and want them to be better. Doesn't mean we don't think they are good, simply that we see areas for improvement. And forums tend to bring out the passionate side of us.

Then again, some of us are just obnoxious...I have a mirror in hand to remind me of that...

• Like 2

Sorry if this was posted already.

There is a new Space Wolf flyer coming next week, that comes with two options. Space Wolves are here!

Please remember that this is still a rumor.

via an anonymous source in Faeit 212

It will come in 2 versions:

First - 215 points

One - assault transport with TL hell frost cannon

Two fire modes:

- s6 ap3, blast, then it forces a Str test. If the test is failed, the enemy dies

- s8 ap1 , heavy 1 - rest is the same

16 models capacity

Heavy Bolters with MMelta or Skyhammer Option

Second: 220 points

6 models capacity

Hell frost cannon (the same as above)

Storm Strike missile

Both flyers have Machine Spirit and Ceramite plating.

The model will cost as much as a storm raven.

via an anonymous source on Faeit 212
The Stormfang Gunship has the look of half of a Caestus Assault Ram, and is on the cover of next week's White Dwarf. The previous rumors really list out its abilities well. It comes with a Helfrost Destructor, two twin-linked heavy bolters, two stormstrike missiles and ceramite plating, with power of the machine spirit.

Heavy bolter upgrades to skyhammer missile launcher or two twin linked multi-meltas
stormstrike missiles can be upgraded to a twin linked lascannon.

Helfrost Destructor
Dispersed 24" S6 AP3 Hvy1, Helfrost, Large Blast
Focused 24" S8 AP1, Hvy1, Helfrost, Lance

Stormstrike Missile 72" S8 AP2 hvy1 Concussive one shot only