Which streaming device to get? Would love some feedback!

Dark Trainer

So I'm considering dropping cable permanently in favor of a Netflix/Hulu combo of streaming services. Only one TV doesn't have streaming and I'm looking for suggestion to which device you recommend and why?

I know about things like Roku 1, Roku 2, Roku 3, Chromecast, and more...what device would you choose and why? Sell me on it :D

So far I've been told Roku 2 or 3 is the way to go (earbud in the remote sounds kind of cool).

• Like 1

I have a Roku 3. I bought it because the ESPN app was showing all the World Cup games for free and my old Roku 1 didn't do HD.

I love it. Such an improvement over the Roku 1. Fast, easy to navigate, and the remote/earphone combo is useful when my gal is sleeping and I am watching something all explodey.

We cut cable 4 years ago. I have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I have never felt like I missed a thing on cable.

So I'm considering dropping cable permanently in favor of a Netflix/Hulu combo of streaming services. Only one TV doesn't have streaming and I'm looking for suggestion to which device you recommend and why?

I know about things like Roku 1, Roku 2, Roku 3, Chromecast, and more...what device would you choose and why? Sell me on it :D

So far I've been told Roku 2 or 3 is the way to go (earbud in the remote sounds kind of cool).

I use a PC with web browser attached to my TV as a monitor. This is presently legal as per the DCMA without paying any fees beyond that of normal internet. I am law abiding and will switch if/when this ceases to be legal.

I suppose my streaming service is called google, as I just type my show into that and they tell me where to go. I often wonder if they will get smart and just ban google, as the streaming sites really don't have the fame to be found without a great search engine...

I will note that the PC subtitles on foreign TV/movies that are imported by fans are often of higher quality than those of common streaming services, like netflix. With netflix, their subs are often only included for dialoge, so you can have scenes where the protagonist reads a letter that isn't translated. Dubbed can be even worse.

I will add that major sports are not achievable online, as they are much more persistent about removing those videos than any other online content. If you want current sports, that is the one key reason to keep cable.

This would be plugging into an HD TV so I suppose the Roku 3 might be the way to go, just trying to decide if the extra $30 is worth it. Both have the earbud remote. Also I do have a dual band router, so Roku 3 might be smarter as it supports the 5ghz frequency with dual band support.

Roku doesn't have a youtube app? Not a big deal, but weird?

I don't care about sports one bit. That's good info though, thanks.

• Like 1

I use a PC with web browser attached to my TV as a monitor. This is presently legal as per the DCMA without paying any fees beyond that of normal internet. I am law abiding and will switch if/when this ceases to be legal.

I'm curious, why wouldn't this always be legal? Is this something folks are talking about trying to do away with? That would seem an arbitrary law that would be impossible to enforce.

I will add that major sports are not achievable online, as they are much more persistent about removing those videos than any other online content. If you want current sports, that is the one key reason to keep cable.

If you are sports specific there are legal season subscriptions for streaming directly from the league, well I know for sure the NHL has it as thats the one the kid is interested in. I think baseball has one too and not insanely expensive compared to a cable subscription.

I will admit that getting a chromecast considering the price to just screw around with has tempted me.

I'm curious, why wouldn't this always be legal? Is this something folks are talking about trying to do away with? That would seem an arbitrary law that would be impossible to enforce.

Presently, DCMA basically prevents uploading, downloading, and linking to streams. So basically, you can only stream what's already there, can't save it, and can't contribute. So, in theory, if we didn't have google-type search engines, you couldn't legally stream most of the internet content without someone breaking laws to link it.

There is quite a bit of talk regarding internet regulations. I've heard, many times, that comcast wants to privatise the entire thing. They aren't the only group.

I think the key issue with doing this, is that the main reason the internet has evolved so quickly is the lack of regulation. I think if they privatized it, the internet would become this bland thing that you wouldn't want to spend your free time using. You'd basically kill the internet if they tried too hard to micromanage it.

That said, it would be pretty easy to accomplish. The search engines are basically what make our internet so accessible. You take those away and the internet would be back to something that only super intelligent nerds wasted their time with.

I have been a Roku owner for years and love it..I currently own a Roku 3 and would recommend it to anyone thinking about dumping cable.  PS it even yours in foreign countries ;)

Roku doesn't have a youtube app? Not a big deal, but weird?

As for a Roku Youtube channel...there is one check it out here

http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/837/youtube

• Like 1